"Why Growth Can't be Green" -- Article

Move along, nothing to see here!
stand@desk

"Why Growth Can't be Green" -- Article

Post by stand@desk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Article submitted for discussion..
A very real and neutral article on how if economic growth is continued to happen, the further it takes the world away from biological sustainability.

So I suppose the world has a choice in the matter..but what an ideological shift it would be to no longer pursue growth in order to survive.

Jean

Re: "Why Growth Can't be Green" -- Article

Post by Jean » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm

I don't equate capitalisme with growth, but i agree on everything else. Ere is degrowing capitalism.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:17 pm

The mindset of saving humans over the earth means its always unsustainable. We have the capacity to create waste that will outlive us a species. So no matter our reduction it will pile upon us until we suffocate.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 am

The optimists would note that we are no longer worrying very much about running out of whale blubber, silkworm production, or the declining deer population in Michigan.

I am not an optimist, but I have sold a bag of diatomaceous earth to an individual who just immigrated from one of the most densely populated impoverished realms on the planet to inhabit a code-broken, paint-peeling, vermin infested house in one of the many post-apocalyptic rust belt urban scene neighborhoods in my neck of the woods.

There is a level of affluence or education associated with decline in birth-rate and there is another level of affluence of education associated with valuing maintenance of green belt around city of residence over production of new subdivision of McMansions or even new tech corridor, and when that level is achieved, the creative re-use of previously inhabited spaces and previously used materials comes back into play. IOW, loops begin to close tighter.

So, in my mind, the question has become how well can the level of affluence, educational attainment, and quality of life currently represented by approximately an average income of over $30,000/yr per capita (inclusive of children and disabled) be loop closed?