Cologne/Perfume

Simple living, extreme early retirement, being wealthy, ...
trfie

Cologne/Perfume

Post by trfie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:33 pm

What do you do for cologne/perfume? A nice bottle can cost $100, which is not very frugal. I have heard about people who will make imitation ones at much lower cost, and even sell them in what looks like original packaging, but I'd be concerned about exposure to toxic chemicals (not only from the imitation, but even from originals, eg phalates - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10148).

Jean

Re: Cologne/Perfume

Post by Jean » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 pm

I learnd to like my own smell.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Nothing. I used to spend ~£50 per 125ml bottle (lasting ~2y) but then I found ERE. Lately, I've been thinking of coming back to using it again. Not sure if I want to work extra week to pay for lifetime supply though.

CS

Post by CS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Lots of people are allergic to scents (or more usually the carrier of the scent). It's another factor to consider when spending the money i.e., it might not have the effect you think it will.

I for one, have to avoid scents or risk a multi-day migraine headache. It's not fun.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:59 pm

I personally do without, I don't like the artificial smell of anything on me, so I even use a non-scented deodorant.
My wife's career is in perfumes, she's worked for a couple of world leaders in fine fragrances product development (google IFF). So I asked her.
She says:

colognes oxidate after a while, so buying a bottle and keeping it for two years is usually not great quality wise.
Everything that smells fresh (think lemon/orange/zest in general) degrades very quickly and should be used within 6 months.
Spices/oriental stuff can last a bit longer
How it's stored also has a big impact: keep it away from sunlight and avoid warm places. The best is cold-dry-dark
What you buy heavily discounted at TJMaxx or in the streets is usually old stock, so already degraded.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll ask her.

Solvent

Post by Solvent » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Well I feel like it's largely cultural. Until I started mixing in a more international environment I didn't really know any blokes who used cologne regularly. Of course I can't speak with authority on the female side of things, but I never got the feeling that perfume was a large expense for my sister, for example. If you're from somewhere where cologne is a big thing, maybe forego it and give yourself an 'international' vibe?

Basic deodorants are cheap, so I feel like that's not the topic of discussion here.