Hello!

Say hello!!
mcs2269

Hello!

Post by mcs2269 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I am 24 years old currently living in Madison, WI. I've been interested in FI for a couple years now. I got ahold of Jacob's Early Retirement Extreme about 1 year ago. For me the majority of the book being about changing one's attitude came naturally as I've always thought frugally, but what converted me entirely to FI was seeing the math. I spent a lot of time digesting/internalizing/memorizing it. After seeing the math I went back and took the beginning 4/5 of the book much more seriously.

I work a cushy salaried corporate job and am taking advantage of it while I can. They provide everything they can to keep me from leaving work, but I've found that if I just leave after a 40 hour week nobody will really notice.

I have student loans from a brand name school, which I regret for the most part just because I now recognize that it chains me to any form of mandatory work for at least a couple more years. However I just include the minimum payments(which I overpay) in my expense ratio to make conservative estimates of when I will hit financial independence. The loans are small and tiered, so I'm knocking them down like dominos from high to low interest rate.

By my expenses(housing,food,transportation,insurance, NOT counting student loan payments) I'm currently living 15% below the federal poverty line which I find amazing(just moved to Madison from __________). My rent at $500 per month is my largest expense and I'm considering becoming a vandweller.

Thank you for having me here in this community, and I'm looking forward to learning from you all.
Last edited by mcs2269 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suomalainen

Re: Hello!

Post by suomalainen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi. A friend of mine used to live in Madison. He loved it. Worked for Trek, I think.

mcs2269

Re: Hello!

Post by mcs2269 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:12 pm

It really is a great place and good for biking too. I wasn't used to seeing the fat tire bikes they use in the winter around here. Those are pretty cool.