Microwave Pressure Cooker by Kuhn Rikon

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Astra

Microwave Pressure Cooker by Kuhn Rikon

Post by Astra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

I stumbled upon the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Micro Microwave Pressure Cooker the other day. I’m highly intrigued and was wondering if anyone had experience with the product.

On top of the energy- and time-savings of conventional stovetop pressure cooking, the microwave aspect will also cut down time and possibly energy (heating the water directly, no energy wasted on heating hotplate and metal pot). I’m a bit skeptical of everything plastic, but then again Kuhn Rikon has never let me down.

Has anyone used this specific model?
Comments on handling, durability, speed, size?
How does it compare to the classic stovetop pressure cooker?
Thoughts on the cooking method itself?

Campitor

Re: Microwave Pressure Cooker by Kuhn Rikon

Post by Campitor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:09 pm

I think the biggest trade off is the size and the max cooking time of 30 minutes. But most recipes will be okay. Depending on what you're cooking, sometimes more than 30 minutes cooking time is required. Max wattage is 900 watts so you'll need to experiment with your microwave. There should be a sticker on the back of your microwave that lists the input watts required to power your microwave versus the output watts that is delivered as cooking energy. Good luck! If you buy it, can you post a followup review?

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Definitely interesting, but won't be trading in my 8 quart Instant Pot for it any time soon. Which I got for only $10 more by waiting for it to go on sale.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 pm

An electric stovetop would be more efficient than the microwave, but not a dramatic difference in energy usage and time.

Microwave ovens lose a lot of heat from converting electricity to microwaves to heated food. Any time you convert electricity in a wire to an amplified and radiated wave, you never get very close to 100% efficiency. A lazy search points me to Wikipedia stating magnetrons used in microwaves have a typical efficiency of 65%, which sounds about right based on my professional experience in related fields. Still more efficiency may be lost from the magnetron output to actually heating the food.

A stovetop is a simpler conversion from your electric wiring directly to the heating element conducting to your pot, so it shouldn't be surprising that it is actually more efficient than a microwave. Again doing a lazy search, I see a figure of 74% efficiency for electric stovetops. Better than a microwave though not dramatically.

So why does the Kuhn Rikon site say a 900W microwave pressure cooker can cook faster than using a regular pressure cooker used on heating elements that are typically > 2000W at a higher efficiency? Maybe a bit of a lie from their marketing team. Note that in the video/commercial it shows vegetables being cooked and it implies they take 15 minutes (at a constant 900W), but in my stovetop pressure cooker it would probably be under 5 minutes at maybe 2500W tops = a bit less total power and time even with the slow stovetop ramp-up.