Hristo's FI Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Hristo Botev

Re: Hristo's FI Journal

Post by Hristo Botev »

jacob wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:55 am
Question about the low profile fan. Where did you get it? Link? How many inches does the bottom extend from the ceiling?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decora ... /308038103

ffj

Post by ffj »

You've broken a cardinal rule in remodeling: Never, ever, move into a space until it is finished. You'll be looking at trim-less windows and doors for the next twenty years. :lol:

Looks good though. Your drywall mudding has the classic "I'm a beginner" look to it but it all sands out right? All kidding aside, good job!

take2

Post by take2 »

ffj wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:39 am
I’ve been walking up and down half-painted carpet-less stairs for 6 months…. :roll:

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

ffj wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:39 am
No doubt.

This was a good project for me to cut my teeth on, as it's not part of the house and it'll really only be me who is left to look at my mistakes for the next several years. Stakes will be a little but higher with the next project, which will be in the house.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@take2

Hehe. My dad built our house in 1979 and he still has a couple of places where he didn't finish the trim.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

I'm finding it difficult to get much work done in the new shoffice; and that's OK.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

I'm officially declaring the shoffice project to be complete, as the trim work is now finished. I started to tally up all the costs but gave up, realizing that: (a) it'd take some time going through months of HD and Lowe's receipts breaking out shoffice stuff from other home maintenance stuff; and (b) I probably don't want to know how much this all cost. That said, I was able to save money on framing lumber and paint/primer, as 90% of what I used I already had from prior projects. Most of my expenses were insulation, drywall and its accessories, the A/C unit, and electrical stuff.

Anyway, here're the progress photos for anyone who is interested.

Here's the side of the shed where the shoffice went, before demo:

After demo (mostly):

Some framing and electrical run photos:

A/C installation (I should have gone with a unit meant to go through a wall and not a window unit, but too late now):

I added an exterior light:

After insulation:

Drywall ready to mud (I made A LOT of mistakes here, some of which I fixed and some that will likely bite me later):

Mud (I am truly awful at this):

The finished product:

Master bathroom renovation is next; God help me.