Anesau - Just Starting Out

Where are you and where are you going?
Anesau

Re: Anesau - Just Starting Out

Post by Anesau »

Yes. Which makes the right answer seem obvious. But unfortunately it seeming obvious does not make it feel easy.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Fear of what?

For me in my 20s it was, what if i get it wrong and i set my whole life on a wrong course -- though idk if it's the same for you. I spent a lot of time feeling anxious and afraid, too, I think it's normal

Anesau

Post by Anesau »

Yes, pretty much that.

I have a technical job and only a little over 1 year of full time experience - my worst case scenario is that I quit my main job, the contracts dry up soon (and/or I'm too stupid to complete them), then I can't find a new job quickly, and the longer I have zero job the longer the gap on my resume grows, and therefore it just gets harder and harder to be employed doing something I enjoy (or at least don't hate).

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I think you can do a decent job of addressing your fears now that you have named them. I’ll butcher this, but Tim Ferris had a talk about fear setting as a Stoic practice. Write down all of the fears and beside each one write down the worst outcome. Then think about if you have any skills or abilities that you can use to address each fear.

I did something like this when I went to part time work. I’m the sole breadwinner of my family of three. Each fear got a line (fear of being poor) and then I started thinking about how to address the fear. It was really helpful to name the fears and think about how to address them.
Good luck and report back!