DOOM!

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: DOOM!

Post by jacob »

I'm surprised Dragline hasn't recommend doing both yet? 8-)

IOW do build you "compound", but don't stick it out to the bitter end if circumstances change. Every problem has a unique solution. Don't get overly married to your hammer.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:I'm surprised Dragline hasn't recommend doing both yet? 8-)
That would be foolishly consistent. :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

This is really a continuation of this discussion about Silicon Valley.

The idea that the virtual-state will replace the nation-state is changing my thoughts about slow doom scenarios and making me rethink my prepping strategies.

I wonder if it won't matter so much where you live as long as you can live invisibly.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

JP, that's what I meant when I said, "If there was one thing everyone should have learned from Ruby Ridge, it's that no target is safe."

As a civilian, given time and drive and about 10k, I'm certain that I can drive off that first SWAT team, but that is as light as it gets, and I'd have to break NFA rules to do it, thus inviting the SWAT team.

I'm not talking about building a bunker. As I said, their time has passed. I'm talking about reducing dependencies by increasing capabilities.

For the just go where it's better crowd, read this:

http://www.johntreed.com/90-day-tourist ... ugees.html

John T Reed is a believer in hyperinflaton, to the point of writing a book on dealing with it. Me, I don't think it'll happen, but this is a nice read on the tourist visa escape route, along with pitfalls. Getting out and finding a haven isn't as easy as some like to think. He's old, and has a VERY direct writing style, factor that in when reading.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Riggerjack wrote:JP, that's what I meant when I said, "If there was one thing everyone should have learned from Ruby Ridge, it's that no target is safe."

As a civilian, given time and drive and about 10k, I'm certain that I can drive off that first SWAT team, but that is as light as it gets, and I'd have to break NFA rules to do it, thus inviting the SWAT team.

I'm not talking about building a bunker. As I said, their time has passed. I'm talking about reducing dependencies by increasing capabilities.
I can't argue with that.
Riggerjack wrote: For the just go where it's better crowd, read this:

http://www.johntreed.com/90-day-tourist ... ugees.html

John T Reed is a believer in hyperinflaton, to the point of writing a book on dealing with it. Me, I don't think it'll happen, but this is a nice read on the tourist visa escape route, along with pitfalls. Getting out and finding a haven isn't as easy as some like to think. He's old, and has a VERY direct writing style, factor that in when reading.
I must say that specific look of a website always makes me think something negative about the person/website. It's a tough and rather scattered read. Moving every 90 days would be difficult if you had to do it for long. I look more into how Jim Rogers has made his move as a semi-template than something I would just do temporarily.

I also find his view of living in foreign countries to be very out of touch.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Well, as I said, he's concerned about hyperinflation. The day the dollar dies will be followed by a great deal of unpleasantness. It won't be spotty, but it will be local to the states. Thus the focus on 6-24 months out of the country.

Hyperinflation isn't one of my worries, I actually found him as an outspoken critic of "rich dad, poor dad". His bread and butter is real estate investment.

I find his "tell it as it is, and to hell with who I offend" approach refreshing. I may not agree with him, but at least I know where he stands.

I only linked to him because he has the "get out while the getting is good" mentality, and backs it up by practicing, to find the real world flaws. I thought that might be handy for the flighty types.

Me, I'm more of a stick in the mud. I find that I improve my life more effectively than serendipity, because serendipity isn't a plan, it's hoping things get better if I don't commit any effort or resources.

It is more flexible, however, if you value flexibility.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

jacob wrote:I'm surprised Dragline hasn't recommend doing both yet? 8-)

IOW do build you "compound", but don't stick it out to the bitter end if circumstances change. Every problem has a unique solution. Don't get overly married to your hammer.
To a Dragline with a dynamic, temporal hammer, every problem looks like an exercise in foolish consistency and static thinking.

I googled "mobile compound" and found nothing. Then I remembered this movie from my youth -- "Damnation Alley". Watch at 14:00 for a description of the scenario and then the mobile compound at about 25:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKYJdHe4xo

BTW, there are some giant scorpions in between. :lol:

Chad

Post by Chad »

Here is a mobile compound from Doomsday Preppers:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... an-brawdy/

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Chad--You're turning into a card-carrying prepper.

*sniff* Brings a tear to my eye. ;)

workathome

Post by workathome »

@Chad - If you stay in Virginia you can buy a handgun and even open carry :-D

Chad

Post by Chad »

:D Funny, both of you (WAH and JP). I'm half a prepper. ;) I do actually want to buy a handgun at some point. I grew up around guns and don't have a problem with them. Though, I have no desire to carry one. Unless, a dirty bomb goes off in the DC area and I have to hike my way past the traffic (that's prepper think'n :o ).

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I read this article about how to get a family a four prepped quickly with $10K. It reminded me of this thread because I thought it was a good list of basic materials. I'm thinking I either need a way to haul this amount of gear around with me if I think a bug out is inevitable, or I need to keep $10K available to re-prep when I get to my next destination. It probably wouldn't take $10K because many of the items are easily carried from one place to the next. Unfortunately, the food and water are the bulkiest and hardest to transport, but the most necessary.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Interestingly, the food plan of 4 people for 1 year for $4000 comes to $83/month/person. Admittedly, it's only about 1500kcal which would be a weight loss diet for most people, but it's surprising how inexpensive it is considering all the whining about how hard it is to spend less on food.

workathome

Post by workathome »

<3 mega-sized bags of rice.

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

I often fantasize about building an off grid house and becoming a prepper. I definitely want to follow that path when I'm older and ready to settle down. It seems incredibly difficult to do as you essentially would have zero mobility. How do you pack up and movie 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars worth of prepping goods? It seems like once you start bunkering down in a location, you are pretty much going to be there for a while. Or else risk losing all your invested work/goods.

Doing my best to minimize my possessions in a extreme manner currently is very difficult. I can't imagine going through that after investing 1000s of hours planting trees and gardens, raising livestock, and prepping all kinds of emergency food and goods. I might have an emotional breakdown if I lost all that :D

workathome

Post by workathome »

This guy converted a nice old house in downtown Ann Arbor to be self sufficient (the utility company pays him).

http://www.mattgrocoff.com/mission-zero-house/