ERE in an economy like Argentina?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Western Red Cedar

Re: ERE in an economy like Argentina?

Post by Western Red Cedar »

loutfard wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:50 am
Get and maintain a second passport. Bonus points for a passport from a geographically unrelated country with a large military.
Brings to mind the discussion on obtaining a second passport: viewtopic.php?t=2497

Humanofearth

Re: ERE in an economy like Argentina?

Post by Humanofearth »

Honestly, I’d leave. You have a strong passport travel-wise. 3 months visa free in Thailand and Vietnam, Mercosur access (live in all SA with just ID card), better Asia access than most Western passports, freedom to leave the tax net. Better than US passport in these regards.

If you’re intent on staying, I’d do my best to set up a Salvador like financial account: savings in BTC, spending money in dollars. If you can’t do this, accept payment only in BTC and convert expenses on a monthly basis to local pesos using p2p selling through Binance, bisq, pretty much any exchange has this available but the 2 mentioned are most reputable ones that I know work. Keep as little in local pesos as possible but I thought this was already common practice in countries with rampant inflation like Argentina, Venezuela, Nigeria, Lebanon, etc. a BTC pay server may facilitate accepting payments in Bitcoin. Get a Cold Card from the official source if you can afford it, engrave your seed in steel with a jewelry pen in a format only you or your loved ones can read with a 25th word nobody would guess, or do multi sig with several Cold Cards once your size becomes size.

Ideally work online where earnings are scalable. Get residence in another country in case you need the escape. Being Argentinian, you probably have Euro blood you may be able to use to get a Euro passport by descent. These take a while to get and some more work than is expected so start sooner than later. I wouldn’t live in EU but it’s a nice back up travel document to use as a flag of convenience should the need arise.

You can’t actually renounce being Argentinian but it doesn’t seem necessary and it seems you want to live there anyways.

The solution is in place, born of the GFC, seeing as banks aren’t trustable, to separate money and state.

Last I heard, Argentina is forcing companies to report 2 days in advance all expenses over 10k as the governments raided the dollars in customers’ bank accounts. Honestly, I’m surprised with how well the country’s held up with such inflation. It’s a very pleasant country from everyone I talk to.