The AirBnB and house hacking bubbles

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Frugalchicos

Re: The AirBnB and house hacking bubbles

Post by Frugalchicos »

Very interesting article and glad that bubble burst. We did airbnb our second bedroom for two years when living in Chicago and already noticed during the second year that clientele changed. They were less worried about getting to know us and more about crashing in a cheaper place than a hotel.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Frugalchicos wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:45 am
We did airbnb our second bedroom for two years when living in Chicago and already noticed during the second year that clientele changed. They were less worried about getting to know us and more about crashing in a cheaper place than a hotel.
@Frugalchicos That is really sad. I noticed that Couchsurfing went that way too, not wanting to interact and treat our place like a free hotel.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

hm, I wouldn't have interacted because not only are you offering me a place to stay, i'll do my best not to intrude or bother you. Just because you offered me your couch shouldn't mean i should expect you to also entertain me. But then, introvert here, so automatic assumption is that people's intrinsic preference is always to be left alone. could be as those services expanded, a greater proportion of introverts joined.

then, also possible that more assholes joined, too

Jean

Post by Jean »

I was on couchsurfing and blablacar, many guest are able to be quiet without treating you like a free hotel or a cheap taxi. But it is true that more and more guest do treat you like a free hotel or taxi driver.

flying_pan

Post by flying_pan »

When we lived in Europe and travelled plenty, we used AirBnB constantly.

I dislike gig economy and agree that a lot of people there just can't count costs correctly, thus overpaying, but AirBnB offers you an apartment, typically close to where you want with a kitchen. City vibes are much better in actually residential areas, and kitchen is a must for me (I don't like restaurants and fast food). You can find places with a kitchen somewhere else, but it was simpler with AirBnB. Hotels are also very generic, but you can easily find a place with a unique atmosphere, like old decorations, some old stuff: old people love to preserve it.

I don't like that it ruins neighbourhoods, though, so I guess it makes me a hypocrite. But, as I said, it simply offers what I don't know where to get it.
I have not travelled in the last 1.5 years, and have no idea how relevant my points are to the USA.