The Reluctant Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
shade-tree

Re: The Reluctant Journal

Post by shade-tree »

It's virtually inevitable that our bodies will change, so please don't hate on yours! And, great job keeping the weight down for a couple of decades, that's more than most of us can say, so you must be doing something right.

I recently went on a challenging hike and struck up a conversation on the way with a really fit, lively 80-year-old guy. It sounded like his volunteering commitments were nearly a full time job(!) As far as I can tell, he was every bit as fit as me, an above average fitness 40-something. Moral to that story, I think, is that it's not what you look like, but what your body can DO that's the thing.

To your other point, another friend of mine in her 50's found a trainer near her workplace and has worked with him twice a week for half a year or so. She has gotten strong and has visibly lost weight. I don't know how much it cost, but seems like you could have this person work out a plan for you, then you implement it on your own without his/her help once you've developed the habit.

Good luck!

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Hi Shade-tree,

My disappointment is not cosmetic; the BS that surrounds the image of the "beautiful" feminine body does not register on my radar.
I am definitely not the "skinny jean" type of woman when loose and comfortable enables me to function better.

BUT losing my strength and getting physically weak will limit my options in life.
This I will not accept without a fight...

shade-tree

Post by shade-tree »

what you say is soo true, 1taskaday! It's nice to be physically strong enough to do what comes up, whether it's running for the bus or going on a big adventure without much notice. And today's news says those skinny jeans are hazardous to our health, anyway. :-) (I always suspected as much.)

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

After researching what is the best course of action for me to take to regain/keep my muscle mass I have decided the following.

At 46 I know myself,I know I can self motivate,BUT I also know I have a time/energy issue with regard to excercise.

My ideal for muscular strength would be some type of outdoor manual labour or sport: like digging or surfing.

This is not going to happpen in the near future while I continue to work fulltime plus overtime.

So for the summer,(as I am off 45 days out of 60-who's counting?) I am going to invest in a second lighter kettlebell (for upper body strength)and learn the routine from youtube for a full body workout.

I will also cyle outdoors as much as I can.If I get to surf/swim all the better.

Then come Autumn/Winter-(the time of year I hate), there is a gym next to where I work that I can join for 3/6 months.
It does kettlebell classes as well as all other facilities.

To-day I will start by decluttering our home gymroom and buying the lighter kettlebell.

The fight back begins...

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

One of the most important body parts for older people is feet.
It is vital that they retain the ability to walk.
If the feet are screwed up older people walk less and this is detrimental for them long term.

I have abused my feet like most people (by the time they reach my age) and have all the signs of it.
Recently I have researched going shoeless/barefoot and am amazed at the benefits/cure for ailments that this can bring.

I am not entirely sure of what I should be wearing on my feet (apart from nothing-which I cannot/will not do in public as I think people think I'm weird enough as it is).

So I'm going to experiment...cheap ballet-like shoes or flip flops(all pretty,as I love sexy looking feet).

Will this work...have't a clue but I intend to find out.

The pictures of the feet of people who never wore shoes are facinating-toes all wide a part etc
I went barefoot yesterday at home for most of the day and had restless leg syndrome and foot sole pain last night in bed.So something must be awakening...I will persist and see what improvements this will bring.

The internet is full of barefoot running advice and types of sheoes for it BUT as I don't run this is useless to me.

Also found an old Yogalate DVD which I did yesterday and loved it.
Must get my new 8kg kettlebell yet...I hate buying more stuff to clutter up the house more than it already is..but it will be of benefit.

I know if I didn't work I would be very happy to spend my time experimenting like this...so much to learn and almost always the opposite to what we think is correct.

I wonder why this is?....I suppose going shoeless means there is nothing to buy to wear on our feet...the usual less consumerism,nobody to impress and that whole can of worms.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Just a quick update on barefeet stuff.

The only clear/good info. I could find on this was Mark Sisson's site-Mark's daily apple.
There are a few "angry" barefoot blogs with mostly rants which were OK'ish too.

The reason I am so excited about this "barefoot" stuff is that my left foot used to hurt in all types of runners after an hour or so.
It was bearable but annoying-why suffer if I can correct it so easily.
Walked for 1 hour yesterday in "ballerina" light shoes and the sole came off...otherwise even feeling every stone etc under foot was fine,no problem.
This is supposed to be really good for feet muscles-all uneven surfaces make them work more.

Walk barefoot around house all the time now,drive barefoot too.
I wear flipflops out in public.This won't do in the cold wet winters though.

There was still an issue about what I could wear trekking or long walks outside(ballerina shoes are too flimsy and fall apart),so being the consumer that I am I ordered New Balance Minimus runners costing 50 on the internet.A joke really but walking/trekking is vital to my health and wellbeing so I felt I had no choice....

I was looking at the Vibram 5 finger stuff but it costs a fortune,and how long does it last?
Also ordered cheap "skate shoes"(for winter wear) and Teva sandals for another 40.

So really this new "barefoot" footwear or lack of it has cost me 100 including posting,what am I doing wrong?

My feet do really feel great going barefoot most of the time but I am a bit bummed at the financial cost.

Also bought my 2 new kettlebells at 6KG and 8KG-amazing how weak I am lifting even the 6 KG over my shoulders/head.

So all in all probably a disaster financially but healthwise good.....

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

The vibrams last a surprisingly long time. I have 3 pairs, and none have completely broken down. The way to do it on the cheap is to go somewhere that has them in stock and figure out your size, then just wait until you can snipe an online sale. Woot.com usually has them a few times a year for 35$ instead of the 85-100$ retail price.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

So really this new "barefoot" footwear or lack of it has cost me 100 including posting,what am I doing wrong?

The concept of cheap loose fitting sandals comes to mind. Mine, from,, wallyworld, cost about $15 and eliminated the sore spot on the outside of my foot, by that bone that sticks out a bit.

Also: beware of vibrams if you, like me, have a thompson's toe (second toe longer than big toe). fine print says they won't fit.

Oucha

Post by Oucha »

Hello 1taskaday!

I have read through your journal and I would say:

Dont wait 3 years if you hate your workplace so much. YOU CAN RETIRE TODAY!

I'm amazed when people having over 300 000 euros of net worth feel like THEY HAVE TO WORK.
With a 8% yearly gain you have 24000 eur/year. Thats 2000eur/month. Thats more than enough especially if someone doesnt like his cubicle job.

Sorry, if I am too intrusive, coming from a country where average salary is 500-600 euros I just see the numbers from a different perspective.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Hi Oucha,

I suppose the answer to your question about why I just don't leave my job right now is complex.
I suppose the main reason is fear of not having enough or of being poor and desperate(at an age where the chance of re-employment will be nil).

We have two teens who cost more and more as they get older-we want to give them the best chances that we can,education-wise etc

We also still have a lot of mortgage debt hanging over us for properties that crashed and did not recover.(approx 240,000).
We can come out well from under all this if we just hang on another 3 years of working.
We both will get government pensions then, of about 3,000 a month combined.

Do I wish I could just pack a rucksack and head off to morrow and be free of it all,DEFINITELY but "we made our bed and now we have to lie in it".

If I had known about ERE when I was in my 20's,I'd like to think I would have done things differently(financially speaking) but who knows?

I hope I don't moan as much in my journal now that I have a nicer job,it really is fine-just preventing me from living the way I would like to.

I realise how lucky I am in so many ways and that the three years will pass and I will be in a much more financially secure place to retire then.

Never worry about being intrusive on this forum as direct honest questions are always welcome.

I think the great thing on this forum is the anonymity and learning from each other.

Oucha

Post by Oucha »

Thank you!

You are right - 3 years is worth to wait for a combined pension of 3000 eur.

"If I had known about ERE when I was in my 20's,I'd like to think I would have done things differently(financially speaking)"

Me too, still better later than never... :)

Just to give you some kind of support. For me I can imagine living from 1000eur/moth (many hungarians live from half of that sum) and I will retire as soon as I have a 10 year fund accumulated. So, cca 300 000 eur net worth is heaven that I am doing plans towards right now :)

Oucha

Post by Oucha »

Thank you!

You are right - 3 years is worth to wait for a combined pension of 3000 eur.

"If I had known about ERE when I was in my 20's,I'd like to think I would have done things differently(financially speaking)"

Me too, still better later than never... ;)

Just to give you some kind of support. I can imagine living from 1000 eur/month (many hungarians with children live from half of that sum, although I do not say thats the road to follow) and plan to retire (doing just part time "work") as soon as I have a 10 year fund accumulated.
So, cca 300 000 eur net worth is heaven on earth that I am doing plans towards right now :)

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

The “barefoot” experiment is still ongoing.

The Teva sandals I got are exactly what I wanted-they are amazingly comfortable-even wearing them all night on my feet at work. I also do really fast-walking treks with them and they work brilliantly.
I haven’t tried to run in them yet-as I don’t really run but run/walk sometimes.
It will be interesting to see how long they last with this kind of wear and tear.
Naturally I go bare foot at home all the time.
My feet feel great, slight “restless leg syndrome” at night after a tough trek in them but nothing too much.
They really are flat as a pancake with NO support-amazing all the BS that’s out there about the damage we can do without “proper” supportive/expensive footwear...another “consumerist” myth.

If this continues there will be nothing left to believe without first testing it out for myself ...a pity I didn’t have this degree of skepticism in my youth...could have saved a fortune and been physically and mentally a lot better off.

The New Balance Minimus runners haven’t been tried out yet-probably in the winter when it is too cold to use the Teva sandals.

On the financial front we had our first retirement planning meeting (my DH and I), all more or less on target, (I was short 600 reaching 9,400 in savings instead of 10,000).
It is killing me not to put the (near) 10,000 towards my mortgage as it would save me 50 a month in interest payments BUT I need at least 1 year living expenses,(approx.18,000) if I need to give up work for a year to take care of an elderly parent.
They are both in their 80’s and healthy but who knows?

The other big discovery this summer is Pilates/yoga-amazing for torso strength. Who would have known? I always thought this was for older “calmer” people and would not satisfy my need to sweat and work during exercise. How wrong I was I am absolutely addicted and do it regularly to my DVD at home.

Basically I LOVE being off work with no time restrictions/deadlines, there are so many interesting things to explore and experiment with.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Have neglected to post for a while as I have been off on summer vacation and enjoying every minute of my freedom.

As usual we do a "staycation" at home as we are such a "weird" family that this seems to suit all of our temperaments the best.
I love it as I get to sleep in every morning,wake,read my kindle in bed,sleep some more and get up late.
What a waster I am...I think I have caught a sleeping sickness as it seems like the more sleep I get the more I crave...but I feel totally relaxed and calm.

The summer rentals seem to be going smooth this year as well.I think my new strategy of only accepting customers that have to take a flight and rent a car is bringing in like-minded people to my self.
All Germans so far with with no complaints about anything and bringing RAIN GEAR with them.(The summer so far has been pretty wet, ideal to lounge around with the excuse that it's too wet to plan major day trips)
I think somewhere in my genetics my ancestors must have been Germans as I think so much like them-organization and frugality.
I am also getting obsessed with learning small plumbing techniques,such as fixing leaky taps-it kills me to have to call a plumber for such small jobs.

The barefoot stuff has worked well in the sense that I am either barefoot or wearing Teva sandals.Feet feel great all the time.
Will definitely be too cold in the Winter for them so will need to come up with a different strategy.
I think the biggest learning for me as a female is that I don't have to squash my feet into heels and uncomfortable shoes to keep up with fashion.
My feet are a critical part of my future health and need to be cared for and invested in now, so that they will not prevent me from enjoying a long healthy active retired life.

I also have been thinking a lot about the life that I want to lead while retired.
I love having free time so much.
I think that spending every Spring and Autumn where we live now,summer in one of our houses by the sea and winter abroad will be the best way to go.
I love change and will enjoy the best that each season has to offer in each of these locations this way.

I have informed DH of this plan and as I know he will want to just stay put working ALL THE TIME on his hobby/side income where we live now,I told him he can visit me at these locations as it suits him.
He gets bored so easily that any excuse (like a little rain) and he wants to go back home with all of us with him.
So the best strategy to combat this will be for me to "nest in" for the whole season in each location and let him come and go as he pleases.
I only need to do this the first year(without budging) and from then on he will understand my/the plan.

The thought of this way of life brings me so much joy that I often ask myself "Could it really be possible to live such a utopian lifestyle?"
And then I say,why not reach for the absolute dream-lifestyle and even if it comes up short it will still be fantastic.

Really I need to just work one and half more years full-time to embed in my pension.
The temptation to job share again is huge but I must work full-time until the end of December 2016 and then can reduce my hours if I can't stick full time until the end of 2018.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think your plan for having various residences and having your husband come and go as he pleases sounds good on paper, but will likely result in something like a torrid affair with some hawt young Italian man. I don't know how tall you are, so I can't predict whether or not your new practice of going barefoot will make this less likely.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Absolute waste of energy.

After all I am an INTJ,what would be the point of saving up all the necessary resources for early retirement and risking losing half of them for momentary pleasure?

Would never stack up for an INTJ...

I think if I can get him into enjoying a sort-of nomadic lifestyle(with a lot of activities that he likes) then he'll just fall into line...famous last words of many a hopeful female trying to change their man...either way I'm sticking to my plan.

As for the "barefoot" experiment,seemingly the feet get wider with gaps between the toes which allows the feet to grip the ground better-the photos of feet that never wore shoes are quite "unattractive" but seemingly very strong and healthy.

What to choose...dilemmas,dilemmas for an ERE female...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Okay, gotcha, putting aside moral issues in the realm of contract-maintenance, the moment's pleasure would not be worth it, but would you risk losing half if he said you couldn't keep chickens in the backyard? That's where the rubber really hits the road with us ENTP gals. What's the point of having free time if you can't do what (not who!) you want with it?

The shoe thing is a dilemma. Troll feet if you don't wear them vs. scary gnarled-up witch feet if you do wear them. Of course, if you had a young Italian lover who was willing to massage them with lightly-scented oil for you on a nightly basis...

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

7Wannabe5,maybe I'm being simplistic or naive but as far as I'm concerned once the kids are raised and independent our "entrapment period" is over-we are free to enjoy our FI as we please.

There is no necessity to be "stuck together" all of the time,there is no "allowing" of anything ...
(naturally as long as "Queensberry" rules apply).

How many stories have you heard of married/partnered men sailing the world or climbing mountains etc while the "good wife" stays at home? Most people say"Wow what an accomplishment? isn't he amazingly brave",I usually say poor her stuck at home...

I always believe "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" and when my time comes I'll be grabbing that freedom with both hands.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Well, I wish for you all the adventures your heart desires! I was just speaking with likely somewhat cynical perspective on the different difficulties of being less encumbered in relationship. No kids, no jobs, no shortage of funds, what will be your new limiting factors? In my experience, differences in health/fitness, personal level of comfort with doing new things, and shared preferences come more into play. Let's say you are happily engaged in Activity A in Location X and your husband is happily engaged in Activity B in Location Y, and now somebody has to get on a train so you can see each other. All I am making is the, perhaps obvious, observation that there is a limit to the number of times you can choose to not take that train.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

7Wannabe5 get out of my journal! (Only joking).

I am supposed to be the "realist" not you.

You are bursting my future "visionary bubbles"and raining all over my parade with your "helpful" warnings.

Enough! this is the only place I get to dream dreams without a chorus of contradictions from the audience.Most people here live lives that they have dreamt up,planned for and executed(escaping the predictable drudgery of the ones most people lead and accept).

Of course it will all work out,and if it doesn't...so what,at least I'll have gone for it.