Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
GandK

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by GandK »

Just thought of mentioning this when I saw the thread about cell phone zombies:

If any of you other runners/joggers are looking for something fun to listen to while you beat feet and you haven't checked it out yet, I'm loving the Zombies, Run! app. (Probably everyone has heard of this. I know I'm late to this party.)

When you use it, you play a human who goes out on supply runs into zombie infested territory. Now, this story line isn't usually my cup of tea, but when someone is yelling in my ear that if I don't speed up, the zombies will get me... I do speed up. It's very effective, entertaining, and when you're not being given instructions by your handlers, you can use your own playlists. (It mutes your music to bring you game updates.) My workouts are flying by, and it feels like playtime.

Two thumbs up!

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

This New York Times analysis of the study being discussed is worth reading: google.com/gwt/x?gl=US&hl=en-US&u=http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/upsho ... =0CBIQFjAA

Short version: the study examined approximately 900 people, classified 40 of them as strenuous joggers, and found that after 10 years two of them had died. 15 other people in the sample (not sure of the breakdown between sedentary/moderate jogger) died in the same period. Although I find this impossible to believe for such a widely publicized finding, the cause of death was not disclosed for anyone involved, so the deaths could have been caused by anything!

It is a provocative thesis, though, and the readiness of both the media (which I generally mistrust) and the posters here (who I generally trust) to believe it indicates that perhaps it's worth investigating more thoroughly.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A study that says that exercise, not diet, has more impact on weight as we age.

Haven't most studies up to this point said the opposite?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The good: After a couple of false starts, I'm finally cleared for running. I went for my first real run today (as in not mostly walking or constantly telling myself "just 2 more minutes" LOL). It wasn't long, but it felt good. I figure another week of testing the waters, and then I'll go back to my usual schedule of speed/easy/moderate/farleks/easy/long/rest. I've been lifting, too, but nothing organized. I'm going to start a 3-day split routine tomorrow. I'll do it twice a week with bag work and swimming/surfing on the seventh day as soon as it warms up enough.

The bad: I got up the nerve to get on the scale. I've gained 32 lbs since the first surgery on my leg 2 1/2 years ago. It's from a combination of not exercising regularly (for various reasons), not keeping my carb count low enough, and sitting at my desk for longer periods now that I'm writing more. I'm going to address all three issues immediately and hopefully get the weight off by the end of the summer. I want to do it now because it's so much easier to eat healthfully and exercise during the warmer months.

The ugly: My bloodwork. I was diagnosed with celiac 18 months ago. I'm very careful with my diet, but my GI track hasn't healed enough and I have some problems from malabsorption. I battle anemia and other deficiencies like B12 constantly. I go back and forth between injectable treatments and trying to treat it through diet alone. So far, no luck. It's not all bad, though. Eliminating gluten has significantly improved a lot of my other symptoms. Even my scleroderma symptoms have improved. My psoriasis, which I've battled since I was a teen, is almost completely gone. That alone is a miracle. I had it so bad that I used to get it in my eye sockets (which is as painful as it sounds).

I can't wait until DNA testing advances enough to show us how best to eat and exercise. I was a vegetarian for 9 years, and my scleroderma progressed the most during that time. I thought I was doing a good thing, and instead I was unwittingly poisoning myself with too much gluten and other foods like certain nuts and beans. We're all wired differently, and I can't wait until genetic testing can reveal a person's optimal diet and exercise plan.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@jenny
That's a long road. Glad you're finally back at it.

Agreed on the DNA testing. I've been toying with idea of getting my DNA and blood tested. DNA tests aren't as informative as they could be, but there are a few things I would like to know (Do I have the APOE4 gene?, etc.).

The blood tests would be a couple times per year and would give me a baseline for future tests, while allowing me to see what lifestyle choices do to my blood work. I don't like using the general population baselines.
Last edited by Chad on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Wow, Jenny. Congrats on running again! That must feel good. :-)

+2 on genetic test advancement. My mother's family has genetic autoimmune problems, and we all manifest them differently. It would be nice to have a better idea of where each of us should focus.

henrik

Post by henrik »

jennypenny wrote:I figure another week of testing the waters, and then I'll go back to my usual schedule of speed/easy/moderate/farleks/easy/long/rest.
That's a pretty intense schedule. Do you have a time/distance/pace goal in mind?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@henrik--I was running 45-50 miles/week when I had to stop. I was using a similar schedule to what I posted. The rest day varies because there is always a day each week that other commitments keep me from running, so that ends up being my rest day. Plus, the fartlek and speed days are shorter runs. The fartleks are interval training and the speed day is a shorter run at race pace.

My goal now is to get to 20 miles running/week, then start training for a half I want to run in the fall and a full (my first) over the winter. My doctor thinks I'm nuts, but the more he tells me to find another sport, the more I want to prove him wrong. :P

edit: To be clear. I was running 45-50 miles/week when I had the first surgery. I got back into running after the 6-month recovery and (I think) I was up close to 30 miles/week when I fractured my leg (that story is in this thread somewhere). More time off. Ran last summer and started training again. More surgery last fall. ... yada yada. My point being that I feel like I'm starting from scratch but I do have a base. And I'm getting really good at restarting. :D

henrik

Post by henrik »

@jp I'm inclined to agree with your doctor:) 50 miles and 6 days per week feels like pro marathoner or ultra level training to me. I've always been a minimalist in my training schedules though and I think recovery time is underrated in modern training philosophy. What seems to work best for me is 3-4 times per week and a max mileage of around 60 km / 40 miles per week in the period around weeks -10 to -3 before a marathon.
I am in no way criticising your plan though, I'm very much aware that training preferences and requirements are very individual. Good look with the plan and I hope you'll get to follow through without another interruption. Do you have a time goal in mind for the half and the full?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

henrik wrote:Do you have a time goal in mind for the half and the full?
Not really. At this point, I just want to finish, and finish without walking ... or falling ... or having a panic attack ... or getting into a fight with another runner (all things I've done).

I can handle the running. The fracture was from tripping on the treadmill (I know :roll: ), but the surgeries were unrelated.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Long distance running seems like an obvious "cultural" fit for the crowd on this forum, I've wondered why it doesn't get discussed more often, not even in the journals.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

@henrik I find that distance runners usually fall into one of two categories. The "Yay! I did it!" Who runs a marathon somewhere between 4-6 hours, and then the really serious distance crowd who either runs a sub 3-hour marathon, or a sub 24-hr ultra (for 100 milers). I think the vast majority of runners fall into the first category, while I'd expect the folks to whom ERE appeals to fall into the small minority of the second category.

Besides the fact that I feel very strongly about other methods of training, marathons have never appealed to me because of the fact that 10,000 people can run one on a given day. Many of them have never exercised except to ramp up their running. I work with a lot of people who've done it, but can't walk straight or lift a 55lb weight overhead. It strikes me as an everybody-gets-a-trophy test of fitness.

I have a lot of respect for people who try to win marathons, or finish ultras, which are a whole other animal. Given how much time and energy those people have to devote to training, I'd think ERE would be a light jog in the park.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I like incorporating music into my workout in this way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41N6bKO-NVI
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBZDicz-pc

Anyone have any suggestions?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Sampling, again, my retirement lifestyle and it does wonders for my fitness...

Gardening and firewood cutting/splitting (mostly arm/back activities), then hiking/fishing (legs/balance activities). All of it combines for well-rounded muscles. Side-benefit is that I'm not compelled to eat, so keeping proper weight is soooo much easier.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

A confluence of theanimal briefly mentioning it in a post and DW having free access after getting on the 21DayMakeOver, I tried out the Insanity program (a 60 day DVD program by Shaun T (of Hip-hop ABS fame, yikes!), similar to P90X but more cardio-oriented).

I've always been rather dismissive of aerobics, so my first attempt was done in regular clothes with beer in hand for hydration. I only lasted half way through. This was after spending 1-2 hours each day either running or cycling with Spinervals. It's not exactly like I'm weak. Since I'm generally impressed with people who completely crush me, I picked up a copy on ebay for $50.

Just finished the first month(*) and it's working for me. In terms of workout autobography, I respond well to high intensity power moves. Not very well to strength workouts and decently to pure aerobics although I don't like to have "runner's body".

(*) I'm now faster/more on than some of the team but I fear I'm comparing my week 4 to their week 2.

In short, it's a 40 minute interval workout without weights that's heavily focused on lower body stuff (lots of different squats) with some push ups usually in the context of burpees. Usually, an exercise is done for either 30 or 60 seconds and they come right after another w/o breaks for 3+ minutes. Then there's a 30 second break. Then it's repeated, typically 3 times. Sometimes there's no break but rather a lower intensity instead. In general, the 40 minutes divides into 9 minutes warm-up, 2x5 minutes of stretching, 22 minutes of HIIT, and a total of about 4 minutes of breaks total.

The program is 3 days on followed by 1 recovery workout followed by 2 days on followed by 1 rest day each week for 4 weeks. Then one recovery week. Then 1 additional month of more intense workouts which I'll get to in a week.

GandK

Post by GandK »

It's 8:51 on a Monday morning, and G and I are in the car with the kids, heading for a week of camping in Wisconsin.

We just drove past a guy on a bicycle. He was soaked in sweat. His eyes were closed, arms straight out to the sides, and he was grinning. He looked radiant. Literally the happiest human I have seen in months. I wanted to turn the car around and go thank him for being so happy, and for expressing it so fully, because it made me feel happy too.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Just finished the Insanity "recovery week". Piece of cake. Unlike Month 1, this was 1 minute on, 20 seconds off type of stuff... I fear Month 2. Starts Sunday. Looking for a cheap Asylum deal on eBay.

I can now maintain a [wide] squat position for 150 seconds w/o suffering. Eat yer hearts out relative wimps, haha! ;-P

Onwards and upwards ... per aspera ad astra or some such, yo!

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Nice to see that you're doing insanity. That's my favorite workout program. The first couple weeks of month 2 is going to kick your ass :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Day 2 of Month 2. I am humbled. Crazy! :shock: