Fake jobs in Europe

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
maxysu

Fake jobs in Europe

Post by maxysu »

As a response to http://earlyretirementextreme.com/why-t ... -work.html, I want you guys to check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/busin ... efits.html

This is unbelievable.

Did

Re: Fake jobs in Europe

Post by Did »

It shows how pathetically inadequate our schooling is. Forget those wage slave skills. Clearly they are irrelevant. They would be better off typing tapes online as a base and working towards something more entrepreneurial on the weekends. The problem, as as Mr Bush said, is that the French don't have a word for entrepreneur...

workathome

Post by workathome »

Maybe they should just stay home and the government can buy free passes to play Word of Warcraft or something.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

While she doesn’t earn a paycheck, Ms. de Buyzer, 41, welcomes the regular routine. She hopes Candelia will lead to a real job, after countless searches and interviews that have gone nowhere.
I think some of you are misinterpreting what the goal of the programs are.

Some of it goes to the problem of "too little work" spread around "too many people" as productivity continues to improve. e.g. the world doesn't need all the producitivity that we're capable of.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

workathome wrote:Maybe they should just stay home and the government can buy free passes to play Word of Warcraft or something.
How easy would it be for a hardcore WOWer to achieve ER? You'd need, what:

$300 for a studio apartment
$89 for Mountain Dew and Cheetos
$13 WoW subscription
$100 for an internet connection and utilities
$5 for toiletries.

A lifetime of raiding for $153,000. $201,000 if you are a conservative WOWer. You'd probably need less, as an ERE WOWer, since you'd be eating lentils and using caffeine tablets.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

AFAIR, the MMORPG players I've smelt spent less than that on toiletries but more on computers :shock:

Could an optimized ERE budget, say $500/month ("1 Jacob") by covered by gold farming?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

. Some of it goes to the problem of "too little work" spread around "too many people" as productivity continues to improve. e.g. the world doesn't need all the producitivity that we're capable of.
No. The problem is that the value of marginal employees does not sufficiently exceed to cost. If you can hire someone for $100, knowing they will produce $150, you do that. But if you don't know that they will make the $150, or can't get rid of them if they don't, or the total cost of that $150 in production is closer to $140, you will be hesitant to take the chance.

This isn't a productivity exceeds demand problem. It is a cost to value problem. An increase in productivity, or a decrease in cost is the only solution.

Now as to the fake jobs program, it is just a make work project for unemployment councilors. In and of itself, not a bad thing, keeping everyone busy. But it is part off the costs side of the above ratio, so part of the problem, more than the solution.

A very tiny sliver of the problem, to be sure.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It's the same thing.

The number of people whose cost is more than the value they produce because the productivity of the remainder exceeds their value has become politically and economically material. Basically, the transition from farming and similar jobs where the distribution is narrow in that the weakest (least valuable) is only maybe 1/3 of that of the strongest (most valuable) to techmology where the range is 100x instead of 3x.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jacob wrote:AFAIR, the MMORPG players I've smelt spent less than that on toiletries but more on computers :shock:

Could an optimized ERE budget, say $500/month ("1 Jacob") by covered by gold farming?
Yes sorry. They would probably also just rent rooms in someone else's house, since they don't really need the kitchen.

That said, I'm still waiting to hear that these people were actually working legit jobs, they were just TOLD they were fake so that they would work for free.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Academia has a long tradition of denominating their bottom tier grunts (teaching and research assistants) as grad students in order to get around things such as pension plans, healthcare, and minimum wage laws. The same work in industry or government would be a junior staff position and would usually come with all the above including competitive compensation.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Skimmed, didn't read; have opinion anyway.

On some level I think this specific joke corner/naked lady (last page) of newspaper- bait type article (because "I think so TM" and "MSM is operated by bad guys to steer naive masses TM").

On some level this how world operates outside high earning, smart people bubble.
Most of the guys in the article were reasonable, but... one event and they're lost. Forever.

I think this fish-water problem. The position I try to show is fish perspective, but I'm surrounded by species who evolved and spending their first minutes on land... :lol:

I opened LI recently and there were complaints of even 40-35yrs who seemed to take really proactive way to their employment, but without success.

This is fucking scary.

I got really disenchanted recently, evenfighting for global communism on some internet forum stopped giving me a kick.

Jean

Post by Jean »

You should apply to my msc, it's full of woman, low comperition, an society doesn't has the option to bybass the job you learn.

UK-with-kids

Post by UK-with-kids »

Some of the fake jobs in that article are probably more useful to society and the individuals that hold them than a lot of the 'real' jobs that people are employed to do. IMHO.

The UK has a specific productivity problem normally referred to as the 'productivity puzzle' because nobody can agree on the cause.

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

Wow, and this happens in my country.
I dont really understand the concept behind it.

If you want to get up, feel useful and work for free, there is plenty if charities in need for help.

I get that our societies need more consumers than workers. But wasting labour force like that....

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Only because France was mentioned upthread, could someone working such a job have a reduced chance of rioting/participating in last year's protests than someone with nothing/less to do/lose?

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

People did not riot because they were jobless, they did because they could not live well while working.
What started the riots was the taxes on gasoil, directly impacting the working poor...

So this is hardly peacekeeping...more like childcare, but for adults.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Jean wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:07 pm
You should apply to my msc, it's full of woman, low comperition, an society doesn't has the option to bybass the job you learn.
PMed.