Water + orange juice + lemon juice = bicycle citrus degreaser?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
TopHatFox

Water + orange juice + lemon juice = bicycle citrus degreaser?

Post by TopHatFox »

I didn't have any synthetic citrus degreaser to clean a bicycle chain. I improvised.

The chain looks much cleaner than before. I just used Park Tool's chain cleaner tool, filling it with fresh squeezed oranges, water, and some lemon essential oil. I suppose I could also add baking soda. Anyway, the chain is clean & lubed now. No idea how to replace oil or grease, though.

Thoughts on the homemade degreaser? Thoughts on homemade oil or grease?

vexed87

Re: Water + orange juice + lemon juice = bicycle citrus degreaser?

Post by vexed87 »

Optimising/DIY chain oil is probably one of those areas where you will have little return on your efforts as it's important to get the viscosity just right. Get the oil too 'sticky' and you will simply attract more much dirt to your chain and accelerate drive train wear and the bike will require more regular cleaning. Get it too 'runny' and it won't do a good job lubricating. If you are using your oil sparingly as you should be, a 120ml bottle of oil will last a couple of years at least. Nothing stopping you buying a larger volume if it works out cheaper.

Try ask your LBS where you can buy in bulk? If you asked me you are better off sticking with a large bottle (better cost per unit) of a decent wet/dry chain oil brand. If you are hell bent on hack solution, consider oiling your chain with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-54-026-Cha ... ainsaw+oil

With regard to using citrus juices, if it looks clean it did the job. I doubt using freshly squeezed lemon juice will be as cost effective as buying a 5L concentrated fluid bottle, unless you can grown your own citrus fruits for free.