bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
George the original one

Re: bigato's journal

Post by George the original one »

You know we're around if you need us, just holler!

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

And guys, I have news. After seven years I am single again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bekvgMEcgqI#t=67

Enjoy your newfound freedom! :lol:

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

I enjoyed reading your journal & I'm happy to see the great progress you've made. I'm sorry to hear about the break up man. I know you stated you wanted to leave Brazil but they have the most beautiful women there from what I hear. I hope to be there next year for Carnival since it's during my birthday. I also heard about the crime there and it can be very bad; I hope to avoid that. My advice to you Bigato is to come to the Bay Area! I spent my entire life in Nor Cal & it's absolutely beautiful, there are lots of tech companies always hiring as well as start ups. The down side is it's expensive and lots of traffic on the freeways. To save money if you would be coming over single, you could rent a room instead of your own apartment craigslist.org is a decent place to check but always vet the place/owner first. Let me know if you need any advice/help I'd be happy to share what knowledge I have.

sohakes

Post by sohakes »

Hey, I'm brazilian and didn't read all of your journal yet, but I was curious about your development. It's kind of fun seeing your posts from 2011 with you living in a small place in the countryside, and now talking about how this is not for you. I'm a developer (and I think you too from what I've seen) from Sorocaba/SP, and that's not really countryside, but it's not São Paulo/SP :P.

I went to Toronto last year, stayed the entirety of 2014 (Science without Borders, aka Ciências sem Fronteiras government program)! It's such a multicultural place that I don't think you will have nay problems there. I'm not sure of going back because I don't like the idea of staying far from my family and friends, but it's a great place, and there are many opportunities for devs. I was on an unpaid internship there because I wanted to work with games, and the company I went to don't pay the first 6 months I think (and there are not many game companies hiring, there are lots of people trying to get in them). But my friend went on another startup there, and he received something close to 2k CAD/month for an internship. I receive 1400 reais being an intern here, 2k CAD is such an enormous amount to me. I only think of going back because for developers it's the perfect place, at least for now. If you have any questions just ask. Never suffered any prejudice there too, and you can satisfy all your brazilian cravings on Little Portugual, there is a good bakery there that sells delicious coxinha. It's not really frugal, but you may indulge yourself a little sometimes, I think, staying far from home is not always fun.

I will read more of your journal to decide on my situation too, I don't know any brazilian websites or forums about ER, and most of the things I see here and on MMM doesn't apply well. Like, it's not a good idea to invest on the stock market here, right? But "Tesouro Direto" looks good. It would be cool if you know anything like that directed to our situation on Brazil, although now you are planning to move.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Congratulations! Sounds like things are going very well...more money at a job you like. I don't think you need to apologize for not retiring. :)

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

More money and some travel (new place to discover in depth) sounds great. Congrats.

George the original one

Wait, what? It's possible to live where workdays are only 6 hours long?!?

J_

Post by J_ »

After the other news, which was sad, life is now pointing in pleasant directions for you. Glad to hear that from you, enjoy it!

C40

Post by C40 »

Hey - congratulations on the promotion! That's an incredible raise!! :o :shock: :D

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Congrats bigato!

-YAW (although you know my real name know :/ )

George the original one

Missed your insights the past couple years! Good to see you post again.

rube

Post by rube »

+1. Thanks for the update Bigato.

TheWanderingScholar

@bigato:

I guess this is the answer to my question I asked a month or so ago.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Good to hear from you again, bigato! Your life sounds pretty sweet!

Fish

Post by Fish »

bigato wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 pm
I've been living without thinking much about money and spending quite a lot of it. I find I lack the motivation to be so disciplined as before, now that I enjoy my job and my life so much, and don't see much reason to retire.
I can really relate to this. When I started, ERE was about money and retirement. Now it's not. This was a completely unexpected result. :o :)

Do you still think much about ERE (the life philosophy as described in the book)? How does that figure in your life? I am trying to figure out whether this mind-virus can be removed, and if it can't, I will simply have to accept it as the new operating system.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Hi! I thought of you and checked in the past couple of pages. Sounds like you had hard times, but now are having amazing times. So happy for you.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Hey Bigato! I'm so glad you're doing well!

TheWanderingScholar

Hey, I found a cool picture of a one person electric vehicle when I was Riga.

Do you prefer email or WhatsApp?

P.S. It seems like all the OGs are coming back out of their shells.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Welcome back.. :D

Nicolino

Post by Nicolino »

Haha, being vegan in Argentina will probably be not easy! Hope you watch out for your safety and your stuff while riding there, but I guess you are familiar with those things coming from Brazil. I have seen so many cases of long term travelers having their stuff stolen in my country, can´t help but feel a lot of shame anytime I read one of those cases.

If your wondering through Chile brings you to Santiago, I am more than happy to buy you a beer and hear your stories first-hand!