Stuck In-between: Literature & Computers, This life & My Wife

Where are you and where are you going?
SuperCereal

Stuck In-between: Literature & Computers, This life & My Wife

Post by SuperCereal »

I will go through some history, since I feel my slow journey to FI started long, long ago. I am from California, born and raised. Went to undergraduate at a UC, MA at a state school, now in a PhD program (also a UC) and about to advance to candidacy.

I was very luck to be born into a family that paid 80% of my undergraduate education, while I worked and paid the other 20%. I came out of undergrad with no debt and ~$1,000 in the bank in the summer of 2006. That June I was involved in car accident (as a passenger, I did not get a DL until years later) which broke some bones and caused some internal injuries. A few days of IC and I was released to my parents with an eventual $10,000 settlement from insurance. I probably could have and should have gotten more, but I was young.

I was unable to work for ~3 months and could not lift heavy objects for a further 3-4 months, which made working at my former job as a grocery clerk impossible for the time being. However, I hated working for someone else, playing by rules that did not make sense, and all the rest of the complaints so many of us have. I started my own business repairing and building computers while I was recovering from the car accident. This was the best thing I could have done for my own mental health and FI. It was the Fall of 2007.

I will continue with history another day.

Happy to be here amidst people that think similarly ;) I joined more for moral and emotional support than anything else.

My wife thinks these are just fantasies. I cannot get her on-board despite numerous conversations (and fights). I think she is caught up in the impossible "women retiring early" dilemma noted in one of the other threads. She is an extremely intelligent woman with a PhD in a male-dominated field of science. This has left her bitter, depressed, lacking in self-confidence, but stubbornly holding on.

She does have many rewarding experiences as well, but it can never be just a "job" to her--as such things are to me--since she has had to constantly justify her place in the male-dominated hard sciences. It has been such a long and hard road for her that to just walk away and admit other things in life are more important feels like giving up or losing to her. I can understand that, but I also think she could be so much happier if she were to ascribe to a broader philosophy of work and money like ERE.

So, I hope to someday achieve FI for the both of us, whether she choose to continue working or not.

jennypenny

Re: Stuck In-between: Literature & Computers, This life & My Wife

Post by jennypenny »

Welcome.

You, or your wife, might find this thread worth reading ... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4268

bradley

Re: Stuck In-between: Literature & Computers, This life & My Wife

Post by bradley »

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. It's all about choice. She won't see your point of view overnight, but she might understand you better looking at it from a choice perspective. Feeling like you constantly have to do something inevitably drains your enthusiasm towards it, whether that takes days, weeks, months or years.

Anyway, welcome! And good luck on your journey!

By the way, you mentioned literature in your title, but what did you mean by that?