Fitbit One and Whitings Scale

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jennypenny

Re: Fitbit One and Withings scale

Post by jennypenny »

jacob wrote: https://www.fitbit.com/group/22QL7X --- join up!
Ok, I'm in (much to the dismay of my husband :P ).

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Personally my android smartphone tracks my steps, walks, runs and miles cycled, I tracked my weight (when I was trying to lose weight, no longer an issue) with a spreadsheet app on my phone.

Analogue scale acquired god knows when, Google fit app was free and smartphone purchased in 2013 :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

5to9 wrote:The Zip and One models both are clip on style, so they would work great with a standing desk.
Do you have one of these or have an opinion on them?

My steps aren't registering when I use the treadmill desk. I like my Charge the rest of the time, but I guess I need a clip-on fitbit for when I'm using the treadmill desk.

I wonder if I'm even allowed to have two devices synced to my account?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote:My steps aren't registering when I use the treadmill desk.
Did you put it in your pocket? The flex is registering just fine when it's in my pocket.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

No, it's on my wrist. Will it really work in my pocket? Which? Just the front pants pocket?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yes.

Also see my post just above :P

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sorry. Liquid lunch. ;)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Whaddaya know ... that works.

inoubliable

Post by inoubliable »

I waited not-so-patiently for the Fitbit to come out and bought one as soon as I could. I love it. Wear it everyday and track my sleep with it. I'm on a few medications that require me to pay attention to how much I'm sleeping and the quality of sleep that I get. Fitbit helps so much with that.

No experience with the scale, but I've considered it a few times. I'm now on an additional medication that requires attention be paid to any weight gain or loss. I'm interested in body fat %, which I understand the Fitbit scale tracks.

Interested to see what others here decide.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote: Are any of you planning on trying an iWatch instead of a Fitbit?
I may try the 2nd gen Apple Watch, as I don't think the 1st gen will have all the health bells and whistles. This guy's analysis of the Apple Watch market is why I think the 2nd gen will be the beginning of something special when it comes to health tracking.

http://stratechery.com/2015/apple-make-wearable-market/

Once there is real money in the wearable market, which Apple will create, we will see some real money in R&D for the wearable. Plus, it will take some time to get certain health stuff past any applicable government office.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@inoubliable - If you haven't already found it, we have a group here https://www.fitbit.com/group/22QL7X

inoubliable

Post by inoubliable »

Thanks! Just joined the group.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Good article on the Apple Watch and it's fitness tracking. It doesn't appear to be much better than the current top of the line trackers, but my guess is Apple will continually update it and apps will significantly improve over the first year.

http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/electro ... 9vLmNvbQ==

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

WaPo: The revolution will be digitized

"Spearheaded by the flood of wearable devices, a movement to quantify consumers’ lifestyles is evolving into big business with immense health and privacy ramifications."

Chad

Post by Chad »

Along with that, Fitbit is going public and it's actually solidly profitable.

http://qz.com/400639/fitbit-is-going-pu ... rofitable/

I'm looking forward to this, as I'm interested in the Tim Ferris style body hack measurements, but I'm not interested in spending the kind of money he has on it. Over the next few years the cost of this will probably go way way down.

Ego

Post by Ego »

FWIW, When teaching spin I would encourage the class to cover the parts of the screen displaying miles, watts, calories burned, and heart rate, leaving only cadence visible. Instead of following the hard data I encouraged them to use perceived exertion and would constantly tell them to think about what they are feeling (40 times per class). Are you taking it easy? Can you push a little harder?

Invariable the hardcore data driven folks would reluctantly agree to me covering their screen with a sheet of paper but were always amazed at how much harder they pushed themselves and how much higher where their total watts/calories/miles when they didn't have moment by moment feedback but but only gauged by feel.

My takeaway was that after a baseline fitness is reached using a data driven approach, the device begins to discourage the user to go above and beyond a particular point. In my experience, being fit is one part consistency, which the data encourages, and one part going to extremes, which the data discourages.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Has anyone tried wearing their fitbit during water sports like surfing or sunfish sailing? Do you think it would survive if I put it in a ziploc bag and tucked it into the pocket of my board shorts? I'm curious how many steps it would register.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal »

Electronic devices to measure BF% are worthless. They are easily fooled by water retention, which can swing ten pounds in either direction for some people.
The best ERE tools for measuring body fat percentage are this :

1) A mirror
2) A bathroom scale
3) A tape measure (I use the notches on my belt)
4) If you want to get fancy, get a body fat calipers. Reusable, few moving parts, cheap, and precise. You can't even get consistent results with a DEXA scan, a $150 glorified bathroom scale will only make your wallet lighter. The body fat calipers may not be 100% accurate, but it is extremely precise. You will know if you're losing fat with the calipers. Take a couple measurements and average them out. I bought the Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat .

Basically, check where you're at at regular intervals. Once a month I'll usually see where my belt notch is at, weigh myself, and take a picture of myself in the mirror.

If the scale isn't moving, but you look leaner/more defined in the mirror, then keep doing whatever you're doing. You're likely building muscle. Lean and muscular is attractive, healthy, and functional for everyone.

If the scale goes up, but your belt (waist measurement) stays the same, you're building muscle.

If the scale stays the same, but your waist measurement goes down, you're dropping body fat.

If the scale goes up along with your waist measurement, it's time to reevaluate your goals. Unless your strength levels are going through the roof, you're likely overeating.

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

I am going to confess to purchasing a Whithings scale during Amazon's 'magic spendfest 2015'. Really looking forward to being told how overweight my wife and I are :lol:

Edit: both scale and watch are buggy crap, going back to Amazon tomorrow :x

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Is there any way to get the fitbit to register steps when riding a bike?