SlimIcy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
slimicy

Re: SlimIcy's Journal

Post by slimicy »

Well, I'm finally settled into a nice rhythm in Vegas.

The move was exciting, and I managed to execute my plan pretty well. It felt like I spent a ton of money, but looking back I probably spent 30-40% of what your average person would have to make the same move, and left myself fairly anti-fragile as a result.

I donated or sold 80% of my possessions, have another 10% in "storage" with my mother, and took 10% with me. I've obviously had to buy some stuff here, but I've kept it fairly minimalist.

slimicy wrote:My big questions coming up will be where I end up living, and if I'll need to get a new car. Right now I'm leaning towards two options: finding a cheap living arrangement and getting a car or finding a nice living arrangement and skipping the car.
I found a place that's central to all the many locations I have to attend meetings at. It's also near the strip and really cheap. Pretty much hit the jackpot, as it was a 2BR with a guy who was already established, so I didn't need to buy kitchen equipment, or anything decorative, outside of my bedroom. Total cost for October rent + utilities was < $500, so I should save an extra $100-200 a month in every month except the dead of summer.

I did buy a new car. A BRAND new car. First time in my life, but I was so fed up with the old one I left behind on the east coast I was already looking to get something nice, and got a deal I couldn't pass up (manufacturer's rebate of ~ 18% off MSRP on a car I already did due diligence on).

Payments + insurance will be right at 300$/month with no maintenance costs for the first 3 years/36,000 miles. In the previous 6 months my maintenance + insurance on my old beater was > $400 a month. At least that's how I'm justifying it :) That and going from 20MPG to 35MPG, and being able to explore the southwest.

The new job is going well. My net income is up 10%, and I have tons of opportunities for 2nd jobs and playing poker. I've been playing a lot of poker, and am net even so far, but haven't been taking it too seriously.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Congratulations!

Are you enjoying the poker scene out there? My brother said it was easier to make money out there because the quality of the games was consistently higher. (I gamble but not poker, so I do just as well in AC)

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

jennypenny wrote: Are you enjoying the poker scene out there? My brother said it was easier to make money out there because the quality of the games was consistently higher. (I gamble but not poker, so I do just as well in AC)
It's been really hit or miss. I've had a few really good nights and a few really bad. It seems like you can get tables that are all tourists one day and all locals the next. I prefer the tourists because I play a contrarian style, and it's much easier to make money playing tight on a loose table as opposed to aggressive on a tight table. I need to work on my session timing and table selection, which probably boils down to playing Friday and Saturday nights.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Gambling fascinates me as I am very risk averse, a defensive strategist. The way you describe it, you manage your risk and face it down. Myself, I tend control risk through avoidance. The drawbacks are inherent: it is not sometimes possible (you cannot back into the future) and usually suboptimal (high reward scenarios tend to have risk).

My gambling is limited to the markets, and increasingly disintermediated by tracker funds.

Good luck with the BA role (am one myself, just come out of a week planning the interdependencies between 20 Scrum teams!). Contract is definitely the way to go here in the UK.

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

Well since I've been neglecting my journal I might as well post something before celebrating the new year here in Vegas.

The bad news first:
- The gentleman I was initially subletting with was unbalanced and passive aggressive, so I had to find a new place to live on very short notice in November.
- Due to the company (I bet you can guess which) preparing for bankruptcy filings my contract was terminated mid-December.

The good news:
- I found a nice 1BR in a gated complex that's on the border of some nice and some shady areas. I've yet to feel unsafe (it helps that I'm a bigger guy) but I get asked for spare change a lot. The place is also ridiculously cheap compared to what I'm used to from the east coast. Right around half the price for twice the sq/ft.
- Unemployment is going to pay me roughly $500 a week, so I should still be net neutral and not have to sell any investments until I find another job.
- My main investment that I've been sitting on for the last 8 months has had some great catalysts the last month, and is up ~65% in the last week and a half.

The future:
I've got my new place fully stocked, so there shouldn't be any one off costs. Having my own full kitchen means I cook 95% of my own meals, so food costs are about 40-60$ a week, everything else is pretty much on auto-pilot financially. I will re-evaluate my car situation depending on whatever job I get next. I needed one for the last job going from property to property on short notice, but if I can get something that doesn't require a lot of jumping around I'll definitely look into downsizing or eliminating that expense. For now just catching up on sleep, Netflix, and the gym.