Mike is here

Say hello!!
mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

Hello All,
I'm a long-time reader of Jacob's. Been perusing the forums since they started. Thought I'd register so I can chime in here and there 8-)
I'm 26, finishing up law school, trying to avoid having to get a job after graduation by setting myself up for a quiet life of part-time land-lording. I just paid cash for my first property last month which I'm fixing up now. Hoping to get two more, without a mortgage, by the end of next year. I'm cashing in savings I stashed away over the last few years, while I was working as a utility lineman and going to school at night, in order to buy some bargain properties.
I'm fortunate to have had 100% scholarships for almost all of my schooling combined with a well-paying job and no time, between full-time work and school, to spend any of my money. I am big into frugality, investing, diy, renewable energy, home brewing, robotics/automation/computer science, self-reliance, hiking in northern new england, sailing and tinkering with engines.
I write about my journey from time to time over at http://www.lackingambition.com

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Welcome! I've been reading your blog ever since it turned up on Jacob's blogroll, it's great.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Hi Mike,
I've been following your blog for awhile now (found via ERE) and I really appreciate your perspective.
Thanks for keeping it going.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

Thanks guys 8-)

B

Post by B »

Hi Mike,
I too have been reading your blog. It was there that I first encountered this backronym:
FIRE: Fuck it, Retire Early!
It's perfect.

akratic

Post by akratic »

Mike, I think you have the second best ERE blog after jacob!
Today's post A Year Alone In The Desert was fantastic.
I'm glad to see you on the forum.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

I second that, "A year alone in the desert" was a good read, could almost imagine you lying down in the middle of the cold desert looking in to the sky.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Mike, do you still own the land in the desert?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Also see [especially the first half of]
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6928 ... -by-twelve

mike

Post by mike »

MikeBOS...Great article BTW!
I've been fantasizing for quite a while about moving to New Mexico/Southern Colorado and buying some land and maybe developing it into a ranch type property. I visited the area a couple of years ago and did a 1800 mile loop for Albq to Gallup to Mesa Verde to Taos to Santa Fe..there is something about the high desert that calls out to me. So I've been planing to return with a friend but this time with an eye on trying to see if I can make it a possibility (i.e. what properties are available, cost, zoning etc etc). Of course some other challenges need to be resolved such as what will I do after I get there? Probably easier to move if I can bring along a telecommuting type gig with me..though longer term I dea is to be FI/passive income driven.
I ride a motorcycle (vulcan 900 if it matters) and have been all over California on long multiday rides (your comment about risk to life from riding on gravel, made me recall similar experiences I've had on my trips) and enjoy tinkering with stuff and the other iinterests you mentioned.
Question: Do you see yourself going back to the high desert? Why/why not? Very interested to hear your opinion/feedback.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I finished 12x12 a week ago. Definitely second the recommendation.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

In terms of living in the desert, I recall from going on a trip in the Nevada desert with A_ last year that there are quite a bit of cabins scattering the landscape where you can stay for free for up to two weeks. You could conceivably move around between them if you just wanted to try it out without a big commitment.
BTW The desert night sky IS fantastic!

mike

Post by mike »

Agree on Desert Night Sky..I think I could almost see till mag7.
My Takahashi 5" refractor is patiently waiting for those dark desert nights and pictures like this: http://www.landseaskyco.com/catalog/gal ... _Helix.htm

(of course with image processing etc.)
Not doing me much good from Suburban skies here.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I remember some power outages from when I still had good eyes that would show somewhere between 6-7. That's pretty big for a refractor. I used to have a 60 mm (one-hour telescope).

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

@B I agree, good attitude
@akratic Only the second best??? ;-) That's actually quite a compliment, thanks.
@zork I imagine that often.
@AlexOliver I sold the land after I left NM. I had 1 acre in the middle of nowhere, only cost me $500, and that wasn't even a very good deal. I was able to sell it, though, for just over $1,000 iirc.
@mike You stole my screen name! ;-) I think ranch life sounds real nice, I'd go for it if I were you as soon as I could. I don't have a bike right now but, believe it or not, I use to ride my 250cc rebel (in the photos) all over the place. Rode it from Albuquerque to Atlanta and back, and from Albuquerque to Boston and then back with a broken clutch-arm, had to kick-shift the whole way. I'm not sure I'll be going back to the desert anytime soon. Maybe every few years on big RV/Camping/Motorcycle trips or something. Most likely I'll find myself on 5-20 acres in northern New England somewhere instead. I have a strong network of family and friends here and, while the desert is romantic, the woods feel like home. But never say never, let me know when the ranch is up and running and I'll pay a visit.
@jacob I've never heard of cabins like that but it sounds like a good idea to try them out. I'll have to order myself a copy of 12x12.

masalawoman

Post by masalawoman »

mike

Post by mike »

@Jacob: Astronomy has always been my passion and honestly I think I missed my calling in life..instead followed the more traditional engineer/MBA route. One of the things I will do when I am off the job treadmill is spend many many nights observing and taking pictures with my CCD. Yes, it is a fairly big scope..with mount, counterweight and all it weighs ~ 150 pounds..therefore doesn't get used as much since it takes over an hour to setup and cool etc. (another reason to be FI and have lots of time to devote to stuff like this).
@mikeBOS: I was here first :-)
Those sound like some amazing long distance rides on a 250cc, hopefully not all on the freeway though..kick-shift and all (I find the back country roads so much more interesting). Am planning some rides in the near future from the Bay Area to the Big Basin Nat'l Park in Nevada. You are most welcome to visit the ranch but might have to wait a bit given that it is still in ideation phase..but I have bookmarked your blog , so know where to find you!

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I also really enjoy your blog, MikeBOS--as I already told you via email.
I've thought about New Mexico as an ERE residence too, because of the weather, the skies, and its relative proximity to my family in CA. What's funny--and I apologize; I really don't mean to bring up paleo in every f-ing thread--is that some of the more prominent paleo people have been murmuring about relocating to New Mexico as well. I smell a cult formation: Paleo FUME. ;-)

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I've been reading your blog too (went back and read past entries as well) and have enjoyed it. Congrats on buying the first property. I've done a bit of fixing up my last few homes and always thought it would be a cool lifestyle, but I didn't think about that 10 years ago and prepare for it like you did.

Stahlmann

Re: Mike is here

Post by Stahlmann »

interesting time management skills over here.