Amazon Prime Kindle Lending Library (1 per month)

Your favorite books and links
JohnnyH

Amazon Prime Kindle Lending Library (1 per month)

Post by JohnnyH »

I confess I really, really like Amazon Prime (live >50 miles from nearest big box store)... While Amazon Prime (now $99/year, yikes) is far from an ERE friendly subscription, I find it indispensable... Another really nice feature is it lets you 'borrow' (aka read 1 Kindle book per month, for up to 30 days) from roughly half a million paid Kindle books.

Here they are:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_f ... =618072011.

NOTE: In addition to Prime you must have a Kindle device, Kindle App does not qualify... Also, you must browse to the book you want to borrow from your Kindle device.

This month I'll be reading this one (since I will soon be doing something similar):
http://www.amazon.com/Crawl-Space-Guru- ... 617&sr=1-1
EDIT: Read this 'book' in 5 minutes, it is a horrible joke... Not the motherload of crawl space info I was hoping for. Oh well, there is always next month!
Last edited by JohnnyH on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragline

Re: Amazon Prime Kindle Lending Library (1 per month)

Post by Dragline »

Sounds like to need to join the book club here.

Shameless plug! Shameless plug! ;-)

Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm big Amazon Prime fan myself. I actually think it could be considered ERE if you ditch your cable TV and use Prime's video streaming service as a replacement.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Can't you just bunch up your shipments so they exceed $35 for "super saving"?

All my amazon purchases are conspicuously close to $35+epsilon. I keep a long list of minor items (mostly first aid and dog stuff) on my wishlist and just add whatever will get me closest to $35 if I need it.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

UK-based Amazon Prime has been a little different. Its been all about the delivery until earlier this year and its been relatively cheap (£49.00 pa) for the 'guaranteed next day delivery' service which also includes the lending library (I only have a Kindle App so been working through free books in the Top 100 lists and treading carefully). If you live quite a distance from a post office and you work away from home then the convenience of the delivery service can be worth paying for as the super-saver delivery rarely comes on any predictable day so you end up spending fuel and time visiting a collection point because you were not around when it arrived. Prime is also good for deliveries of single (i.e. birthday/other gift) items to friends and relatives as you can get it to arrive on (or day before) their celebrration day. By mutual arrangement I but 'present' after their name on the address so they know not to open and we agree to forego the extra wrapping. Given the cost of posting things recently it does not take many presents sent from Amazon to cover the costs. Now we will both at home most of the time we may reconsider this service as things are less rushed around here. We may also consider sharing with a friend who works so that post gets delivered here and we share a subscription and split the cost.

In February things changed for UK Amazon users and the subs went up to c.£79.00 annually but will include Video streaming. This has not been a popular move for many (its like saying 'We know you like our X service and now we will charge you £30 more annually to have Y service too - the service you were happy with is no longer available as a standalone'). Less of a problem for us as we don't pay for any other competiting services (I suspect that many do). We have up until November to test out the new +video service at the old rate as they are allowing you the upgraded new range of service until our current subscription expires. I suspect that we won't renew the subscription.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@Jacob: Yes, I did that for years... But now I have multiple projects going (trailer restoration, house rehab) and prime keeps me working.

Real example: I wore out osculating tool blade flush cutting screws... To continue work I need another. Options are: A) Buy 1 blade at local store for $15, B) Drive 100 miles roundtrip (2 hrs + $8 gas) to big box get 1 blade for $7, C) add 3x blades ($10) with other Amazon orders to reach $35 arrives after weekend or D) 3x blades for $10 arrive 2 days later, enabling work for weekend.

A) Gets the most work done but costs even more than B), C) saves the most money, but requires future telling level of planning. D) is by far the most optimum. I've even used $3.99 one day shipping quite a bit. $4 to enable a day's labor is a bargain.