Why you want to retire early...

Favorite quotations, etc.
dpmorel

Post by dpmorel »

Love this TED talk by Dan Pink, one of my favourites ever on motivation.
http://www.danpink.com/archives/2010/06 ... oard-magic
Also the animation is cool.
The truth seems to be that motivated workers have jobs that resemble craftsmen - autonomy & mastery. The entire corporate "day-job" structure basically goes against this. If you work for the gov't 3-5x that.
In fact, I'll go one step further... the entire reason most people want to leave their job is because of middle managers. Humans should not pimp other humans, they are horribly bad at it.

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

I like the idea in the animation, but I'm too jaded to go along with it now as a team member in Corporate America. What ended up working for me was to forget about making a difference on the job and instead, use the income from a day job to enable me to achieve financial freedom.
Financial freedom buys me lifestyle freedom where I can do the projects I choose to do that give me purpose, autonomy, and mastery (in that order). Achieving financial freedom takes nothing more than financial literacy with enough time to make it come together.
I consider "financial freedom" and "retirement" to be synonyms and defined as where a person's investment income exceeds their monthly expenses by their desired margin of safety. A person's age is irrelevant to this definition, as is their decision to continue working even when they are already financially free.
By continuing to work after achieving financial freedom, a person is merely choosing to get paid for having fun. Some people are able to have fun while they are still becoming financially free (if the factors mentioned in the animation are true for them), but I didn't happen to be one of them.

dpmorel

Post by dpmorel »

The Dan Pink theory - if your job doesn't provide "autonomy, master, purpose" you will look to get out.
A potential corrolary - if youre retirement doesn't provide "autonomy, mastery, purpose" you will also look to get out.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Interesting. Autonomy, but with complete freedom, what would keep me showing up for work or meeting deadlines?

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I spend 50 hours a week at work, plus commute times, plus phone calls and email outside of work hours, plus the regular out of town or country business trips. This doesn't leave enough time to pursue the other things I want to do. That's the bottom line

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

. . . to have as much fun as Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros on Letterman.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Thanks for posting that rePete!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@rePete
Thank you!! I watched the video on Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros twice. It has been a long time since I heard such a happy and catchy tune. It will stay in my head for while I am sure. Funny how every once in a while a group comes along like that. I like both the lead singers, the trumpet and the rest of them. Just guessing, this group will go far.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

"Holy, roly, me oh my, your the apple of my eye-

Girl, I've never loved one like you!!!!"
Yep, it is well stuck in there!! I am whistling it without realizing it.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I work with a lot of people 2000 miles from my location so I am limited in conversation with them to phone and email, for many months until I meet them in person. When I do eventually meet them in person, they never look as I imagined.
I have a feeling I would have the same tract record for those in the forums. Yet, I enjoy my visual of you singing that with a paper plate and a mug of Killian's, in hand.

tlaloc

Post by tlaloc »

The movie posted above really closely reflects part of my motivation for ERE/FI.
I know that one of the things that I'm shooting for is not early retirement, but financial independence. I'm in the software industry because I love it. I've been sitting in front of computers programming and dreaming up solutions since I was 8 and writing BASIC programs on a monochrome CRT. It's something I would be doing no matter what. Reaching FI will allow me to pursue that in any direction, regardless of politics and corporate environment.
I will be able to take larger risks because my own livelihood will be unlinked from my "performance." I want to do amazing things in software, basically exactly where I'm at, so if I'm able to pursue high risk projects (which are the most interesting ones), I will be able to focus on doing them more for enjoyment instead of building/saving my career.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@tlaloc
Just bought this book:
"Teach Yourself HTML in 10 Minutes" by Deidre Hayes.
Will let you know if it works!!