Transportation Survey

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Zikoris

Post by Zikoris »

I've designed my life so I can walk basically everywhere, and take public transit if I need to go to a store beyond walking distance or to the airport.

The Old Man

Re: Transportation Survey

Post by The Old Man »

I live in Los Angeles, California. I am car-free and use the train to get to work. My employer reimburses me for my monthly transit pass, so my transportation expenses are zero. I am within walking distance of the train station, grocery store, shops, restaurants, bars, and a bus ride to the shopping center. My commute is rather lengthy at a little over an hour each way. I tried to find a place closer to work, but either the transportation options were poor or the grocery store was not close.

I think I have a good setup. I have contemplated living in other areas with a lower cost of living, but invariably the public transit options were poor resulting in requiring me to own a car; the net effect would be break even at best.

Chad

Post by Chad »

By far and away, this is my biggest ERE fail. I used to own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee I bought as a salvage title from a local guy who restores them after they are totaled. It was actually very ERE, because of the salvage title, even though it got terrible gas mileage. After 12 years, most of those in salt drenched winters in Pennsylvania, it finally got too unreliable.

In it's place I bought what I always wanted, but is decidedly not ERE, a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. This was a conscious decision, so I knew what I was getting into. I don't care that it's not ERE, as I really enjoy everything about it.

The one lone ERE trait for the Wrangler is that they hold their value better than 99% of the vehicles on the road. It took me months of searching to find a used one that was cheaper than buying new (taking into account mileage and age depreciation). I have added about 10k miles too it, but I bet I could sell it for what I bought it for with no problem and maybe even a little more.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

I'm going to chime in only because my situation is counter to ERE gospel, but has wound up being an extreme cost saver in the long run.

I spent 11 years not having a car (2001-2012), and then last December I bought a car in cash. I get about 40mpg, insurance is about $100/mo., and there's been no maintenance costs yet (I am late to get an oil change, though).

Yes, the opportunity cost of missed investments is there, it is a depreciating asset, and the gas and insurance layouts are high--but I can avoid the NYC subway now. Plus, since I don't have a workplace per se in an area with expensive parking, I don't have to pay for parking either. I can also use the car to travel around the area, which facilitated me buying a second house and living most of my time in the country. That, in turn, freed up my apartment to be rented out, which I have done so far enough to pay for the car and most of the mortgage payments and property tax I pay on the second place.

But the biggest benefit: for the first time since I was a teenager, I can do big, weekly shopping trips. As a result, I eat at home a lot more (about 5-6x per week). Some of you may remember me talking about going out to eat a lot in NYC--my wife and I did that for over a year. I gained a bit of weight as a result, and was spending a lot of money on food to boot. Since getting the car and eating more at home, I've lost about 10lbs. and feel much healthier.

It's the kind of counterintuitive experience that reminds me just how messy and complicated life is, and any answer that seems to provide a simple, easy solution to a problem is probably less reliable than you'd expect.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I owned 3 new cars until a couple months ago. Very wasteful. Now down to 2. Soon to only 1. Still making progress here.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I sold my car back in mid-2011 and haven't really looked back. It's tough to get around in a smaller city like the one I live in (about 50k people).

I use the bus for most of my transportation needs. I also have a 49cc scooter for local errands and also for times when the bus is late or doesn't show up. That way I can get to work on time.

This combination has worked fabulously for the last 2+ years.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

just adding my experience.

i have an suv and i did the math a few yrs ago on costs of owning a car and the best kind of car to own
is some gas or diesel car like a civic of VW that gets 40 mpg over anything else for gas and maintenance costs.

i tried to pull the trigger on doing that but i couldnt, i like my suv too much; this is actually the 3rd one i have bought(2000-2004 jeep grand cherokee, fits me like an old pair of jeans) and probably last one i'll buy as getting one 5 yrs from now with less than 75K miles probably wont be possible.

workathome

Post by workathome »

If you need a car: 10-year old corolla, do your own maintenance. Reliable, numerous cheap parts.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Detente

Post by Detente »

I've been car-free for a few months now. I live in the Washington, D.C. area and take the Metro to work. My employer subsidizes that cost. We also have a bike-share network which is really great. It's a $70-ish/year membership, and all rides between bike stations under 30 minutes are free. I also have a personal bike that I sometimes use for commuting. I can get by without a car, but I do miss having one. I'm thinking of finding something super cheap (i.e., under $4,000) and going with a pay-per-mile insurance plan. I really only was using my car on weekends and for road trips out of town.