TravelingTrader´s Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
ktn

Post by ktn »

Hi TravelingTrader.
I just stumbled upon your journal. Since I live in the EU and work in IT too, I found what you journal extra interesting.
I am curious, what kind of a place are you able to rent for 450 euros per month? Is it a not-so-great part of town? Are you splitting the cost with room-mates? That seems like a really great rent compared to where I live.
Enjoy your spring too. Maybe, true to your moniker, you will start traveling again. Being free and not having a schedule can be a great way to snag travel agency bargains that are put on sale at the last minute.
I do hope you get the health insurance sorted out soon. Otherwise that could become a nasty surprise. Otherwise, you like you are doing great! Good luck.

TravelingTrader

Post by TravelingTrader »

May 2012 update:
Rent: 450€

Electricity and gas: 75€

Health insurance: Solution in progress. Approximately 150€/month expected

Grocery (meal/beverage): 250€

Eating out: 0€

Telephone and Internet: 45€ (35€ home / 10€ mobile)

Other: 80€

Fuel car: 10€

All: 1060€ - very well within my sabbatical budget
Spend 120€ to repair the car. Unfortunately another service is necessary before I can sell it. I will add this expenses to my yearly expenses sheet - which is covered by the tax refund.
I had to hire an attorney to resolve my health insurance issues. The insurance company charge a monthly rate of 650€. Without income about 150€ should be the correct rate. Unfortunately they don't respond to any of my writings. In Germany a Health insurance is mandatory by law.

Every time in the past when I consulted a lawyer, an problem in my life floats away. It seems worth the money.
@ktn

I've rented a 2 bed apartment (unfurnished) in an inexpensive city. I need some privacy for myself. Indeed I like the benefits of public transportation in front of my door to be at the central station in 15 and the airport in 30 minutes. Leaving Munich cut my living expenses by about 50%.

TravelingTrader

Good news everyone,
got response from the lawyer:
The problem with the health insurance company is finally resolved.
The former bill with the highest rate of 650€/month is reduced to the lowest rate of 150€.

That give me much more financial freedom with my ongoing sabbatical.
By outsourcing this task I got an reasonable result in just 3 weeks. By myself wasn't able to get any progress over several month. At least something learned at all.

TravelingTrader

Jun 2012

Health insurance: 150€

Grocery (meals/beverages): 185€

Eating out: 3€

Other: 45€

Fuel: 35€

Ebook: 10€

All: 953€
This month I took care about my vehicles:

I've invested some money into my bike and car for necessary repairs.

The bike is now ready to sell and this is my next challenge.

I will keep my car - as long as I stay here.

Will add these expenses to my “yearly expenses list”, until everything is covered with the selling price. And, some idiot stole my hubcaps.
Again I am thinking about relocating.

The place I am now is good for staying for a while. But I feel not well here. One disadvantage is the cold and rainy weather. The gas bill for heating is a mess.

I have some places in mind, but need to visit them before consideration. Another challenge here.
Eventually I just need some vacation.

TravelingTrader

Jul 12 update:

Grocery (meals/beverages): 195€

Transportation: 4,50€

Car fuel: 90€

All: 1012,50€

Passive income: 22€
This month I attended to two spontaneous job interviews. After talking about the open positions working details, I realised I do not want to do something like that again.
I've put the motorbike on sale waiting for buyers.
Bought a new laptop replacing my 4 ½ years old one. The old device was too slow and got issues. Paid with my tax returns on the yearly bill and hopefully it will least another 4+ years.

Old one was 1300€, the new one 900€.

TravelingTrader

Today I successfully finished my challenge:
I've sold the motorbike for a fair price.
We had remarkable 8 years with very much fun together and I love to remember those.

m741

Post by m741 »

Congrats! I recently sold a crew shell I owned, also for a fair price, and broke even on the purchase+costs.
I didn't get much use out of it, but it felt good to get rid of it, since it was so big (30 feet long), and I'm just happy I didn't lose money on it.

TravelingTrader

Aug 12 update:

Grocery (meals/beverages): 200€

Other: 50€

All: 973€
Since about one year I measure my energy consumption. I started to turn off unused devices and use “power save” mode whenever possible. With electricity I am fine now.
But I am using gas to heat water (Shower/dishes) and heating the flat. The consumption for showering and dishes is low and not that expensive. But the heating eats my money; 800€ in a 5 months heating period. It´s the biggest position on my energy bill and not acceptable!

The problem is I am freeze even around +20C

Thought about traveling or working in winter when it is up to -20C.

The worst is: The energy provider raised the monthly rates for the whole next year and I have to remargin 380€.
But I am very proud for accomplishing the challenge and sold my motorbike for 5500€.

This year I spend 650€ (excluding fuel) for maintaining the bike. This liability is gone now.

I think I will reward myself with a few days city break
And at least this month I've rented a bank safe deposit box. The expenses are 62€ a year which I add to my yearly expenses. Don´t own something of much value, but wanted to deposit important documents and my harddisk backup - especially when traveling or working abroad. I don't live in a posh district, so this investment seems fair.
Sabbatical is still ongoing...

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

@ Trader
Sehr gut! I'm enjoying your journal and I have some simple advice regarding your heating bill - wear warm clothes inside the house - invest in some good thermal underwear, good socks and most importantly - a good wool hat ... in the army they taught me that we lose 60% of our body heat through our head because 20% of the blood goes to the brain, but bone does not insulate well, so we lose heat.
Once you wear these, keeping warm is easy. Even if you are sitting down to work, you can have hot tea in a pot (very efficient and tasty internal lavage!), you can do some push-ups / sit-ups / jumping jacks every hour to warm up and improve your health. Finally you can also use a small, efficient electric heater.
For sleeping, the best is an electric blanket and I know Germany produces them :) I learned this many years ago as a child - turn it on 30-40 minutes before you go to sleep and then turn it off once you get in bed. You will fall asleep easily and warmly ....
Happy to hear you have sold your motorcycle - great job!
Magnus

TravelingTrader

September 2012 update:

Electricity and gas: 100€

Telephone and internet: 45€ (35€ home / 10€ mobile)

Grocery (meals/beverages): 185€

Eating out: 0€

Fuel car: 10€

Other expenses: 110€

All: 1050€
I am really displeased with the increase of my monthly energy expenses. Successful saving a lot of electricity but wasting the gas for heating. I was that stupid and now have to pay the price.
My backup hard drive runs full so I bought an additional one. Included in “other expenses”
Winter is coming and my car required new tires which I list on the yearly bill together with all other car expenses. (Looks good yet, details at the end of 2012)
At night temperatures outside dropping below 10 C and I haven't heated my flat yet. It´s up to 20 C in my living room without heating right now.

Found some ski-trousers and my functional underwear I used on the motorcycle. Will try these, if necessary.

Thought also about buying a good down filled sleeping bag to replace my 20 years old polyester modell.
@GPMagnus thank for your input. I served in the army too, but mostly forgot about that time.
At least I've sold my old laptop to reduce the expenses for the new one.

TravelingTrader

October 2012 update:

Health insurance: 155€

Grocery (meals/beverages): 180€

Eating out: 35€

Other expenses: 80€

Passive income: 20€

All: 1025€
Other expenses includes 2 update licenses for Windows 8 Pro.

Because I make money with IT, I have to update - And do not regret it yet.
I've rewarded myself by eating out at some posh place this month.
And regarding the heating: Lowest temperature outside was -2C in October.

In my flat not less than 15C, Living room 17C-19C without heating. It´s fXXXing freezing, but with the mentioned warm cloth and a blanket ok.
Actual I am thinking about working a last long term IT-Project, take the money off the table and relocate to another warm country when finished.

TravelingTrader

November 2012 update:

Car fuel: 130€

Travel expenses: 80€

Eating out: 40€

Cloth: 45€

Grocery (meals/beverages): 180€

Other expenses: 30€

All: 1250€
It´s a mild winter actually but still around 0C outside. But I didn't heated my flat in November too, but bought some more warm cloth as recommended earlier.

A hoodie is very useful too.
Because I feel the need for some travelling I decided to combine a business appointment with a trip. Had to refuel my car and some other travelling expenses e.g. hotels and public transportation to pay. When abroad I´ve eaten out too. Mostly enjoyed sitting in the warm heated hotel room or car.
Now it´s time for chestnuts and hot mead.
Happy Holidays

TravelingTrader

December 2012 update:

Eating out: 17€

Public transportation: 8€

Grocery (meals/beverages): 165€

Other expenses: 90€

All: 1025€
Yearly review for 2012:
Here are the top three yearly expenses after housing and health insurance in 2012:
1. Maintaining and owning a car including tax, insurance but without fuel: 2500€

2. IT. Laptop and a home Theatre mini PC: 1200€

3. Maintaining and owning a motorbike, excluding fuel too: 505€
The HTPC replaced a play station to save energy. Watching a movie once upon a time isn't that problem, but listen to audio 8 hours a day was.
Again I hate the responsibilities coming with owning a car: Some idiot smashed the door mirror just for fun. Again more unexpected expenses at the first day of a new year. (Last year someone smashed a window to steal a worthless LCD.)
2013 the health insurance increased the monthly fee by about 5€. If this happens until I can official retire, this expense will be twice until than! And I haven´t included inflation.
After heavy snow and freezing temperatures I turned on the heating for my living room just a little above 15C.
Actually I am looking for a new freelancing project to earn money to acquire a place to live. I thought about getting rid of these horrible rent expenses.

Probably I could live very cheap together with my dad in the place I grow up, but I already tried that several years ago. It didn´t work.
Happy new year

TravelingTrader

January 2013:

Public transportation: 12€

Car fuel: 80€

Grocery (meals/beverages): 195€

Other expenses: 65€

All: 1097€
Sold some unused things with classifieds ("simplify your live"): +655€
About 1 1/2 years ago I worked as a freelancer. I ve hired an tax accountant who did something very horrible wrong. This unbelievably amateur mistake caused a unimaginable high tax bill today.

This amount would dramatically decrease my ERE account. I was close to a heart attack after reading the numbers. At once I hired an expert, who assured me to correct that.

I have to be honest, this was my mistake. What I´ve learned? Don´t hire amateurs.

TravelingTrader

February 2013:
Rent:  450€

Health insurance:   150€

Grocery (meals/beverages): 165€

Other expenses: 45€

All: 955€
Sold items: +10€
Nothing special this month.

TravelingTrader

March 2013 update:
Exact one year ago I started my sabbatical and used the time to travel, visit friends and family and doing things usually not possible when someone has to work. It was very enjoyable to work for one year and be at home for another. This kind of work/life balance is something I enjoyed a lot.

The money I’ve calculated for this year off is used up by now and my ERE investments are kept untouched.
Now something much unexpected happened:

An offer for a freelancing project as an consultant for a bank in Frankfurt city arrived and I’ve accepted it.

This means I have to travel again and the expenses for business will rise a lot.

I will try to live an ERE style as much as possible, but it is difficult because I had to relocate to a posh city with an expensive live again.

The experience I’ve learned living in Munich for several years will be handy.

Of course I have an income now and I will save and invest as much as possible.
I’ve rented an expensive apartment (It’s cheaper than staying in a hotel) near the office I work to be able to get there by feet.

At this point I have to get rid of my other apartment and will temporary relocate to the city. That I kept my car was a good decision because I can use it now to travel and transport stuff from one place to the other.
The first week I rented a cheap hotel near central station.

ERE style I walked 30 minutes to the office every morning instead of using public transportation.

It’s nice having some exercise in the morning.

I bring my own lunch instead of eating the expensive meals everybody else eats.
After this project I thought about travelling around the world to find a cosy inexpensive place to stay.

The job I do now is nothing I want to do for all of my life.
As long as I am dealing with my business I will postpone posting numbers.

TravelingTrader

May update

Some kind of worst case scenario happened:
The contractor who hired me was thrown out by the customer without notice.

Means instead of four month salary I only get 1,25 out of this project.

But I already signed the apartment contract for the whole time.

And I´ve quit my former cheaper flat which had a period of cancelation of three month.

This means by the end of July I have no flat anymore. The few things I need fit in my car and the rest is stored temporarily at my fathers house. If necessary, I can stay there some weeks every summer.
This operation makes me free to stay wherever I work now.
Now I have just to find a new project. But I am able to search world wide.

TravelingTrader

Last month I´ve moved out of the city apartment I've lived over the past three years.

I gave away all my furniture except the writing desk and some other things to worthy to throw them away. Temporary stored these boxes in my fathers house which I use as a small office with fast internet access.

Now I can relocate worldwide wherever the next contract is located and don’t have to pay a second bill for rent/internet/energy while working abroad. When I don´t have a contract I can simply travel and do not have to worry about the place I usually lived.

This is a complete new situation to live for me. Another Interesting challenge.
Instead of paying 35€ a month for internet and telephone I started to use a mobile stick which is only 15€. That’s enough for checking my investments and some internet while traveling/working.
Also cancelled a high-priced bank account and replaced it with a free competing company.

TravelingTrader

I am a Microsoft Windows consultant and help enterprises maintaining/managing several thousand computers/users.

I find contracts using web services like www.cwjobs.co.uk/ and have some profiles online.

TravelingTrader

Re: TravelingTrader´s Journal

This month I started working for a new freelancing contract.
Because it is located in another city I started travelling again and prepare to relocate soon.
The good thing is I can move out of the expensive city-apartment ASAP and search something much cheaper where I work now.
Or just stay in hotels, not that sure right now.
Not having a dwelling place makes it easier to travel around for working purposes.
Everything I need fits in my compact car.