DutchGirl's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
J_

Post by J_ »

Well done DutchGirl.

Peace of mind is of so much importance, and now you have it.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Friendship is... A discussion about your washing up tactics...
(The boyfriend has a friend visiting, I did the cooking, they do the washing up (we have no dishwasher), and so far they've been discussing washing up tactics for 4.5 minutes now.).
Funny...
Otherwise, things are a bit boring here. I have been doing really well on the "spending money" part so far this month, but no income until next Friday...

llorona

Post by llorona »

Hi DutchGirl,
It's nice to watch your progress!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Thank you :-) More next week after the new salary.
And PS The dishes have been done! Amazingly, all that talk did lead to action eventually :-)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

At the beginning of January, I paid my health insurance for the entire year (because the company offered 4% reduction if you did it that way). 1150 euros left my possession in one fell swoop. It hurt. (Still, I believe this is incredibly cheap compared to most US health insurance premiums).
At the end of January, I still have 195 euros more in my possession than at the beginning. It seems so little, but I musn't forget the 1150 euros... So actually I could have seen 1250 euros progress this month if I had decided on monthly instead of annual premiums... But seen long term, the annual premium is better.
I worked my butt off in January, lots of colleagues got the flu, so more work for me. My paycheck in February will probably be more than 3000 euros, of which I'll be able to save over 50%. Cool... I need to build some money in my savings account, my PhD thesis is drawing to an end (a few months more) and I'll have to pay for printing then. Plus a small party. Most of my money is currently stuck in CDs (4% interest here) and investments (don't want to sell them), so for the next few months money needs to go to a boring savings account with only 2.1% interest.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

At the beginning of January, I paid my health insurance for the entire year (because the company offered 4% reduction if you did it that way). 1150 euros left my possession in one fell swoop. It hurt. (Still, I believe this is incredibly cheap compared to most US health insurance premiums).
At the end of January, I still have 195 euros more in my possession than at the beginning. It seems so little, but I musn't forget the 1150 euros... So actually I could have seen 1250 euros progress this month if I had decided on monthly instead of annual premiums... But seen long term, the annual premium is better.
I worked my butt off in January, lots of colleagues got the flu, so more work for me. My paycheck in February will probably be more than 3000 euros, of which I'll be able to save over 50%. Cool... I need to build some money in my savings account, my PhD thesis is drawing to an end (a few months more) and I'll have to pay for printing then. Plus a small party. Most of my money is currently stuck in CDs (4% interest here) and investments (don't want to sell them), so for the next few months money needs to go to a boring savings account with only 2.1% interest.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I started tracking my expenses in February last year, so by the end of January I had 1 year of data. Turns out, I had a savings rate of 40% exactly, just a bit less than 12.000 euros (or 1000 euros per month). I wanted to get to 1000, but just didn't make it.
I saw a nice decrease in expenses on food over the year, at the beginning I spent 325 per month, at the end it was down to 285 per month. Still working on it, too!
Housing is 400 a month or about 16% of my income.

Entertainment was 135 per month or 5% (this includes our holiday).

Health care (both insurance and uninsured care) was 125 per month or a bit less than 5%.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I worked hard in January and February. I was hoping that my January salary would be 3500 euros but it was 3300 euros, thanks to changes in taxes and insurance premiums dictated by the government. I put almost 1000 euros on Kiva (kiva.org) (will stop doing that for the rest of the year) and 800 in my savings account. I will need the remaining 1500 to live on, also because some membership contributions are due this month.
Next month I'm hoping for another 3300, and I'll be able to put more in savings than this month. Looking forward to that.
Also starting next week my job hours will be reduced. That's ok because I need time to finish my PhD thesis. But the consequence of course will be that my income will be less. I don't like that...
Tax season has started here as well. We should do our taxes before April 1st. We might not make it (because of my boyfriend's business) and then we can ask for a postponement. I already know that I'll be getting some money back again (I can't reduce my monthly tax payments, I have to ask it back afterward).

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I worked hard in January and February. I was hoping that my January salary would be 3500 euros but it was 3300 euros, thanks to changes in taxes and insurance premiums dictated by the government. I put almost 1000 euros on Kiva (kiva.org) (will stop doing that for the rest of the year) and 800 in my savings account. I will need the remaining 1500 to live on, also because some membership contributions are due this month.
Next month I'm hoping for another 3300, and I'll be able to put more in savings than this month. Looking forward to that.
Also starting next week I will work less hours per week. That's ok because I need time to finish my PhD thesis. But the consequence of course will be that my income will be less. I don't like that...
Tax season has started here as well. We should do our taxes before April 1st. We might not make it (because of my boyfriend's business) and then we can ask for a postponement. I already know that I'll be getting some money back again (I can't reduce my monthly tax payments, I have to ask it back afterward).

m741

Post by m741 »

If you loan on Kiva, loan with team ERE!
http://www.kiva.org/team/ere

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Cool, didn't know they existed!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I haved teamed up with team ERE, but I'll have to wait until repayments come in before I can make a loan.
I must say that I'm getting tired of the PhD project. I was doing well, but unfortunately another problem turned up (discovered by me, NOT caused by me) and now I have to wait for the person who caused the problem to e-mail me back, to tell me what went wrong and what he's going to do about it. It's frustrating.
A colleague of mine is finishing her PhD in a few weeks time. Maybe it will inspire me to try and finish mine, too? I'm feeling very cynical about the whole process right now, finishing my thesis is one thing I'm doubting, but going through the official ceremony and obligatory party when I absolutely don't feel like celebrating, is another. (Maybe I will feel like celebrating by the time this is finally done).
Money-wise I'm doing reasonably well. These are my recent sins: I just spent 13 euros on a present for my niece, and 30 on two dvd boxes of the series "Bones". We have loved watching the first two series that I got as a birthday present from my boyfriend. The series is going to go downhill, we don't like the most recent episodes that are currently broadcasted, but hopefully season 3 & 4 will be enjoyable.

m741

Post by m741 »

I don't think spending 13 euros on your niece is a sin. :)

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Depends what you bought her.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

My niece is one. I bought her a picture book about a train station. Her father loves train stations for some reason and always visits them when on holiday. I think he will love reading it with her.

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

Nice present! At some point she'll be able to read it :)

m741

Post by m741 »

When you said you bought something sinful for your niece, I was picturing a stripper pole.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

@m741, funny :-) Not my intention to imply that.
My new salary will be coming in, this Friday. I should be able to save more than 50% of it. That should feel good, but currently I'm feeling a bit... Sad. That is not an unusual state of mind for me. I need it to become spring :-) .
I was ill, too; which also affects my mood. I'm almost better now, will resume work tomorrow.
I need to lose some weight. I feel like I should shift some of my attention from "money things" to "healthy eating" and "getting some exercise". I am a bit afraid that if I take my attention off the money-thing, I will start losing money again. But I don't think that's a very realistic fear.
And I'll always have you guys to keep me steady there.
Maybe I'm good at focusing on one thing, and doing that (pretty) well; but I find it more difficult to pay attention to several "projects" at once. Things like: money, family, friends, weight/health, work. I have had periods were one or more suffered because I was focused on something else.
OK, that's enough philosophy for now. It's time to go to sleep, here.

rube

Post by rube »

Hey DG, I fully agree with you that it is time it become spring again. It is affecting my mood also.
I'm sure you will be able to handle the the different topics and give them the attention they need. Nobody is perfect and able to pay 100% percent of their time and devotion to each subject. It's a live time learning proces, a journey.
When you can finish Phd, hopefully soon, you'll will probably also feel better.
Thanks for your yournal!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

The Dutch are a moody bunch, probably, these days. Except the ones who were smart (and rich) enough to take a winter holiday somewhere in the sun.
They predict more snow next week. Sigh.