Hello from ND

Say hello!!
methix

Post by methix »

I've been lurking and reading the site since last winter. The idea of greater freedom (how to live, work, etc)appeal to me. Like many the idea of rolling the same rock up the same hill for 30+ years while the world passes you by is anything but ideal. Learning about safe withdrawal rates, HDHPs, HSAs, the 72t rule, and etc., have been extremely useful.
I can't add a lot to the discussion. I currently live in ND, if anything our economy is almost opposite the rest of the US. The current oil boom has brought an abundance of money and jobs to the state. So in short term things are great... in the bubble. This isn't the states first oil boom though and the inevitable bust will bring equal pain.
I bought my house 3 years ago before the boom hit and it has actually been a good thing. Currently rent in town easily rivals my base mortgage expenses (ignoring taxes and insurance). I started using Mint in April, and it's been useful in tracking spending down to the pennies. Of my current take home 35% is going towards my mortgage(Base plus + prepayment) and 35% towards an investing/IRA/savings mix. By diverting 35% to housing, I'll own my house outright in a little under eight years and hopefully negate some of the effects of the boom/bust cycle currently in play. ER won't be extreme but may be possible in 8 or 9 years.
Looking forward to the book.