Van Dwelling Conversion

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
HoboBerg

Post by HoboBerg »

Decided to post a list of the conversions I've done for anyone interested in the lifestyle. When I bought my 89 Dodge Turtle Top it was already a camper van, but after living in it for 8 months it just wasn't practical so I busted out the sledge hammer and started from scratch. Heres my mods!
Electrical system: On the pop top is mounted a 210 watt solar panel, that runs through a morningstar solar controller and eventually into a 250 amp hr agm battery. From the battery I have a 800 watt inverter that powers all the entertainment devices looking back I could have gotten away with an inverter about half the size. Also from the battery I have my water pump, refrigerator, and duel cigarette lighter connection, these item are always ON having a 800 watt inverter on 24/hrs would be detrimental to the battery. Then for the cloudy days just a small generator that plugs into a smart converter, which charges the battery while powering other devices. Remember its always easier to conserve energy then make it.
Entertainment: After Hiking and exploring its nice to come home to a 23 inch flat screen TV, Ps2, Netflix, Laptop, High speed internet, and most days you can just rely on your neighbors for good entertainment :). I use my phone to connect to the internet (luckily I still am grandfathered into verizon unlimited data plan, but know some other good options)for when I am way out in the boonies I have a wilson 3g amplifier and have always got great signals even 10000ft up a mountain I also have a yagi atenna as well that will pick up internet at pretty good distance provided you have clear line of site. Netflix is run on a app on my phone which has a great compression rate, then is hooked up to the flat screen via a MHL HDMI adapter cable for big screen pleasure. The TV is mounted on a arm that swivels out the barn doors for outdoor movie night, and last but not least my mp3 player that plugs into a pair of bose indoor outdoor speakers that I got for free.
Kitchen: Of course the usual a pot, pan and the other kitchen utensils. For cooking I have a coleman stove top, that converts to a grill top, skillet and crock pot which I use to cook large portions of food, then for reheating purposes I use a torch, alcohol stove (very efficient) or my favorite the open fire. Refrigerator is an ARB which was pricey, but its very efficient and beats the HECK outta getting ice all the time. Then there is the Kitchen sink, don't really have one but a bucket works quite well the faucet is just an ordinary outdoor spicket with a brita filter attached for drinking water. The water is supplied from a 40 gallon tank mounted under a queen size bed(well almost).
Heating and Air conditioning: If its to hot I go up the mountain. If its to cold I go down the mountain, but for those really chilly nights and mornings I have my portable buddy heater. <----Edit
Bathroom: For showers I have an outdoor shower stall and solar water bag about $40 for two at wally world. When I am unable to set them up...... a spray painted black jug set in the sun and a bucket work nicely. Then theres the porta potty, think thats all we need to say! I also have a little pump action spray bottle used for brushing my teeth,shaving, and dishes.
and that's how I'm living my ERE it started almost 3 yrs ago at the age of 34 I may get something part time job one day, but never back to the rat race and competing with the joneses. Its not more, more, more for me anymore its less,less,less. Hope this help anyone considering a similar lifestyle if you have any questions feel free to ask I'm not super busy :) and remember next time you see that guy living in a van he really may not have it so bad:) Ill end it with a quote.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

Ego

Post by Ego »

Nice job! It seems you've really thought through some of the more difficult aspects of van dwelling. Do you use the Lil Buddy heater often? Does it go through a bottle in one night?
I've been looking at converting a Ford Transit Connect as a fuel efficient but tiny campervan.

HoboBerg

Post by HoboBerg »

Thanks Ego! Sorry I have the portable buddy, not the lil buddy edit noted above, a small cylinder last about 4-6 hours a bottle depending on which setting you use. I never sleep with it on don't trust the oxygen sensor that much. I only use it for brief periods of time EX: 15 minutes on 15 minutes off heats up pretty quick in this little space and being in the Southwest during the winter it doesn't get a whole lotta use. They do make kits to convert them so you can use bigger tanks but you need to buy a certain hose or special kinda filter, this will be one of my next upgrades.
Yeah I've thought one of those Ford Transits would be fun to convert if your gonna be doing a whole lot of driving.

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

My conversion is still in phase one: bedroom/closet
Since most of my amenities are handled at work, and I wasn't sure if I would like this lifestyle, I didn't do any major conversion or purchasing of materials for phase one.
I took a fairly new e250 cargo van, turned the bulkhead into a swinging door so it still looked like an in-tact bulkhead from outside. I put my bed in the back, made a little closet behind the driver's side, put up curtains as "walls" to cover the sides and behind bulkhead.
I then covered windows with black-covered insulation.
I keep very little in the van and have the very small amount of possessions I still own stored at work and a friend's closet.
I have not yet figured out best method of cooking. Thinking batch cooking at grandparents' or a friend's house once a week. Eating out/work cafeteria for pretty much every meal.

HoboBerg

Post by HoboBerg »

Sounds like a simple, but practical conversion. How long have you been Van Dwelling now? Do you like it? If you have any questions feel free to ask. Heres a link with pictures to my conversion process not sure if I had the page done before when I posted http://www.newagenomad.com/p/van-dwelling-page.html Hope you enjoy!