I Will Accept My Paddling With Jacobs Book....

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

...but now that the estimated payout is over $500,000,000 {Half A Billion Dollars....lump sum after Taxes around $180,000,000 is my guess} I think I am going to go out and Waste $2 (not sure since I don't play the Lotto...but thats the price I've heard) on ONE Powerball Ticket.
Yes I've read the odds are 176,000,000 to 1...but you also can't win if you don't play.
Can I pass this off as Cheap Entertainment for the rest of the day until the drawing by Daydreaming about what I could do with that kind of money???
Anyone else thinking of or going to do the same????

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Two dollars does buy a lot of day dreams! :D

GandK

Post by GandK »

G came home the other day and announced that he had put a few of our dollars in a PowerBall pool "just for the fun of it."
I proceeded to laugh at him just for the fun of it. :-)
Of course, if the pool wins, I will have some abject apologizing to do. That, too, should be fun under the circumstances.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

I'm sure the apology will be accepted...LOL!!!
Daydream 1/ 40 foot Sailing Yacht rigged for Single Handed Blue Water Cruising.
Daydream 2/ Large Traditional Thai house in the mountains outside Chiang Mai.
Daydream 3/ Large Glass Greenhouse attached to No. 2 for an Orchid Collection.

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

I sometimes indulge in a single lotto ticket, precisely for the entertainment value of the daydream.
Then, once I have dreamt about what I'd do with the money - I try to ferret out what is really important about those dreams, and how I might achieve something similar in my own life for a lesser amount.
I usually find my daydreams center around:

- stability for me and family - paying off houses mostly. So I am diligently working to pay off my own home, which is large enough to take in friends or family in need if the occasion arises.
- time - having enough free time to write, play more music, exercise more. I squeeze two of the three into my lifestyle now but it's a tight fit. Reaching FI would allow for more of all three.
- travel - I'm quite good at traveling cheaply, and if I had even more time, could travel even more cheaply. Again, reaching FI will facilitate this some day.
Interestingly, NONE of my daydreams revolve around acquiring stuff.

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Enjoy the $2 daydream and be thankful that I'm not playing--you'd just have to split the proceeds :)

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

ROFLMAO....tell you what Hoplite....if we had the same numbers and had to split it I'd still be happy.
Whats the saying about Half A Loaf....

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I've been getting a $1 ticket for every state drawing. The payout is usually around $9 million, which is plenty for me :-) I too think it's worth the entertainment value, but still prefer a slightly higher EV when available.

RecoveringConsumer

Post by RecoveringConsumer »

I entered the work pool. My budget category, "work expenses.". Demonstrating a willingness to get along with these people helps reduce inter-personal stress...