Lean Dishes #2 - Red Cabbage Coleslaw

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
George the original one

Post by George the original one »

1 small head of red cabbage

1/2 to 1 cup of Miracle Whip(*)

1 carrot

diced green onion or white onion

paprika

pepper

salt
Serves 2-8 depending on size of cabbage head and appetites; prepare in 15 minutes.
Split cabbage head vertically, remove woody stem from the core, then dice the halves to desired chunk size (I like the pieces to be 1/4"-3/8"), and place in large mixing bowl
Dice the onion and add to large mixing bowl. The amount required depends on how much onion you like. 1/4 cup of white onion is probably plenty, but, for me, it takes a complete bunch of green onions w/stems (green onions are sold by the bunch here).
Shred the washed & peeled carrot into the large mixing bowl.
Add dollops of Miracle whip by folding them into the vegetables and stirring around. Everything should be lightly coated, but not soupy (unless you really like soupy coleslaw).
Add salt and pepper and paprika to taste, stirring into the mixture. Starting points might be 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of paprika.
(*) Miracle Whip is probably the most ubiquitous refrigerator ornament we have in the USA. It's tough to imagine a family that doesn't have a jar in their fridge unless they don't eat sandwiches or prefer mayonnaise. Feel free to make appropriate substitutions and if someone has a homemade salad binder recipe, I'd sure like to hear about it!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

This looks good. I might also try adding diced apples (and then leaving out the paprika).
Confession time...I've never actually eaten Miracle Whip. I'll have to try it now.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Sometimes I add a couple pinches of celery seed.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Celery seed sounds good. I always add it to potato salad.
I really should do more work on the recipe section of the wiki.

DW

Post by DW »

I use plain yogurt instead of mayo (won't touch miracle whip with a 10 foot pole :-)), or I also like mixing half Marie's cole slaw dressing / yogurt. I think I did see a recipe for cole slaw

dressing that had mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and celery seeds.

J_

Post by J_ »

@DW: I wonder why you "(won't touch miracle whip with a 10 foot pole "

Is it because of the preservatives etc?
My DW has always a little booklet with all the E-numbers described in her pocket to check food before she buys. Only very few products stand that proof (so we make also condiments ourself).

I (as many others) have the feeling/impression/knowledge that the many "rich country" diseases come from companies like Kraft, Unilever and Nestle who are artists in making things taste, and stay good, but are actually poisoning us.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Hi J_,
What's the name of that booklet? Is it for sale or available elsewhere?
Regards,

McTrex

J_

Post by J_ »

@McTrex

The booklet was written by Corinne Gouget in France called "danger, additives alimentaires" recently rewritten and for sale on Amazon.

Translated in Dutch: Wat zit er in uw eten, translator Will Jansen, for sale at Bol.com

In Australia they have made their own version: The chemical maze (shopping companinion) by Bill Statham, we bought in a local bookshop.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Thanks J_