What kind of work/job do/did you guys all do?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Canadian Dream

Post by Canadian Dream »

Degree: Chemical Engineering
Jobs: Cased Hole Wireline (Oil & Gas), Sales and Tech Product Support for Chemical distribution company, engineer on clean coal technology project, GHG policy and cost analysis and currently environment regulation (compliance and risk management).
As you can see I've done a lot of work that has nothing to do with my degree. Oh, well it got me in the door of my first job.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'm a mechanical engineer (INTP) who has worked in product design for the past 12 years. I've helped design everything from iPhone cases to video game handhelds to medical devices. It's interesting and fun work but also exhausting -- I feel like I've lived deadline-to-deadline for years, been unable to take vacation even when I've wanted to, spent way too much time away from home, and let all my hobbies fall by the wayside.
One unique thing about my background is that my career has essentially been making the "stuff" that I'm now coming to recognize is a hindrance to FI in a consumption culture. All those shiny new things now seem a bit rusty in retrospect, and while I'm still young (34) and likely not ready to hang up a working life for good, I've become far more interested in pursuing jobs more "meaningful" and on my own terms. Zookeeper, museum worker, astronomer... all those things that seemed awesome as a kid are now (thanks to a our savings over this time) back on the table.
I'm currently looking to take the ESRE (early-semi-retirement-extreme) leap next year at 35. Can't wait.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Dead-eyed government drone.

DTL

Post by DTL »

Peace corps volunteer. I feel like I'm already retired, going back into the 'real' world is going to be hard. I actually found ERE because I was looking for info on how to deal with retirement. All the free time with no set schedule. That was driving me crazy in the beginning.

celliott

Post by celliott »

Self-employed Janitor

& Real Estate investor/landlord.
I work on average 5 hours/week. Pull in a pretty good living as it's one of the best kept secrets. ;-)
In my younger years I was an Inoculation Technician (at a mushroom spawning plant), Precision Sheet Metal worker (building crop dusting aircraft), and an auto mechanic among other things that would make a buck. I really enjoy working with my hands while engaging the mind to troubleshoot and create. But I'm in janitorial for the money and free time it provides me to do volunteer work.

totoro

Post by totoro »

Lawyer in Canada. I own my own small specialized firm and work part-time with Indian bands on various economic development and assorted legal issues. Love my job. Loads of freedom to plan my hours and varied problems to resolve. Funny, but would love early retirement for the same reasons :) INTJ

anomie

Post by anomie »

computer programmer / web developer

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

I was a marketing professional with several major multi-national companies.. across a wide variety of categories including prescription drugs, birth control, vitamins & supplements, snacks, and beverages.

VanishingPoint

Post by VanishingPoint »

Up until April I was a Quality Assurance Manager working for a small company producing plumbing valves. Some hands on but mostly I was assigned to my office pushing paperwork and e-mails all day.
I don't miss it one bit.

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

Starting a new job on Monday as a Registered Nurse in the Mental Health Unit
Try to cram/write a 50 page package right now
Should be interesting - lack of uniform is a bonus and an fruit salad mix of staff, not to mention patients
Lots to learn about the diseases and disorders of the mind, along with safety and regs
Busy Busy atm...

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

I graduated from electrical engineering in 2008 but couldn't find related jobs. Currently I work at a computer reseller as buyer. This experience reinforces my path to FI.

mfi

Post by mfi »

I trade derivatives for my own account.

gawping

Post by gawping »

low grade public servant shamed by all the high achieving evident here.

C-Dawg

Post by C-Dawg »

Statistical Modeler/Programmer

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Cashier, currently.

Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Hrm, I have had tons of odd jobs and part-time jobs ever-since I was allowed to.
I started with baby-sitting my younger siblings and cousins and later on, the children from other families in my neighborhood. From age 15 and on, I have worked in retail (cashier, restocking supplies) and in a restaurant/ gift shop in our local hospital (preparation, supply, serving). During school holidays I used to work at a nursery garden - those were long days and started early, but I seriously enjoyed the work.

When I entered University, I continued my work in the restaurant/ giftshop before exchanging it for my work at the mail. I changed baby-sitting into tutoring (high school students) and teaching (first year courses at University) and added being a student representative/ landlady of some sorts for the housing corporation to the mix.

The latter has been dropped since I moved to another city, but I still work at the other two jobs whilst studying.
If volunteering also counts, I can add gardening in a communal garden to my list, as well as promoting games (Earth Charter Game) and play-testing (D&D). And a few times a year I act as a fake victim/ hooligan/ whatever they need during police/ medical exercises and training.

pka222

Post by pka222 »

In order - just for fun

Demolition

landscaping

clerk

sale (retail)

construction

marine research

telemarketing

sales (pool tables)

forester

chemist (enology)

forester

Assistant professor

Scientist (geology)

Tropical coastal zone planner

International civil servant
Future

Investor

General Contractor

Horticulturist

Adventure race organizer

Noob

Post by Noob »

I'm 31. I have no degress, no certifications. Only some technical trade training in a few areas. I will be retiring to my couch and letting my business run itself in just a few short months. ERE @31. Hard work and dedication is all it takes. With a little luck. I wouldn't be here without a lot of luck actually. right place, right time.
I've been;

Farm hand

Gas station attendant

Pizza cook/grill guy

gas pipeline maintainer

Cable guy

Contractor for phone company

Military

waiter

contractor for cable company

contractor for government work

telemarketer

kirby vacuum saleman

lumberjack

arborist

meat packing plant worker

janitor

garbage man

swimming pool cleaner

landscaping

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

i studied philosophy, now work in tech. i didn't get my degree (didn't finish my thesis is all).
i started as a Customer Service Rep for a summer job after college 6 years ago and got promoted up 5 times in less than 4 years into an engineering management job, got laid off, traveled and took a year off.
now i'm at a major e-commerce company getting promoted some more. :)
i am one of those people that likes to explore various jobs and ideas, which makes me decent or good at a lot of things with a talent at making connections and seeing the big-picture, but i am never overwhelmingly excellent at anything.
i call myself "the frosting": i am not necessary but i make things a hell of a lot better.
i'm on track for FI in 3-4 years. i am 30.
after i "retire" i plan on traveling and continuing creative pursuits with writing and music writing/performance as well as cultivating more homesteading/building skills. i want to buy land and build my own small home.

llorona

Post by llorona »

Let's see. I have worked as a:
Pie maker

Cashier/chicken handler

Tutor

Library bar coder

Research assistant

Pianist

Mental health counselor

Cosmetics marketing associate

Fundraising/communications director