Joke of the Day: Restaurant meals are cheaper!

Move along, nothing to see here!
C40

Post by C40 »

ARTICLE: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... aspx#page1
Yes, big news for the ERE community. The leading edge online journal "The Fiscal Times" has enlightened me.
The most shocked among us will be those who have previously checked or noticed that eating out used to cost at least twice as much as making your own dinner (not even counting transportation cost), AND that it used to actually take about twice as long to prepare and eat.
Well folks, everything has changed. Over the last year, grocery store prices have increased by 6%, while restaurant prices have increased by only 2%. So now everything has changed!! BOOM, now you're enlightened.
It is now cheaper to dine out than eat in (as anyone can plainly see from the evidence in the paragraph above).. Also, it now takes more time to prepare your own meals than to drive to a restaurant, order, wait for someone else to cook it and bring it to you, pay, and drive home. Because now you have to go to the grocery store every meal, and you will no longer store any food at home. Also, you now have to buy about two pounds of rice to make a meal with one serving of rice.
Source: article
Example meal price comparison Here
(In case you can't tell, my post is a joke.. As far as I can tell, the article was meant to be serious and informative. I'm going to purge this from my brain now so my head doesn't explode)

Maus

Post by Maus »

I call bullshit! Who the hell pays almost $10 for less than a half pound of flank steak? In the PF Chang comparison they paid $9.40+ for "7 ounces" from Fresh Direct. They need to shop somewhere else. I get flank steak on sale for $4 a pound.
And who eats this way every night? Three different versions of seafood, with ingredients costing double digits per pound. That's 1%er behavior.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I read this while eating about 700 wholesome calories of oatmeal with honey.
Total cost: $0.42

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Example in fact:
Last weekend I ordered two catfish dinners to go and brought them home. Cost $23.45. Wife figured this up and can prepare same-same dinners for less than $10.00 at home. 12 0z filets of catfish, hush puppies, fries, cole slaw, relish dish. Now these were very big individual dinners, nice food, many would say "worth it", especially after about three beers to wash down the catfish. (After three George Killian Red's, a dead skunk simmered on a manifold would be worth it). Anyway.

Wife is pretty smart on food costs. If she can make these dinners for less than $10.00 at home, I believe her, no, I know she can do it no doubt in my elderly mind.

We could actually eat pretty well five days for a bit more than I paid for the catfish dinners.

Roark

Post by Roark »

I eat out for every meal because it is cheaper to eat out than to purchase a bigger place with a kitchen and eat at home.
This is due to economies of scale and other efficiencies. Such efficiencies do not exist in Western countries where the government has mandated that you must have a one million dollar building with a $50,000 handicapped bathroom in order to sell food. The governments of Western countries wish to stop us from voluntarily determining whether we want cheap food or "more safe" food and have instead decided for us. It's like mandating that we should all drive a Mercedes, and anything under that price range will just be illegal. No more Honda Civics, and certainly no more scooters and motorcycles.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

The taco truck I had lunch at only had a $40,000 handicap ramp. But those handicappers were still doing wicked flips off of it.

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

cheap meals
if a food court in the melbourne cbd closes at 5pm i go there at 4.45 and get just about any meal half price. I dont really care if itsbeen sitting there for a few hours...
If a chinese meal ususally costs 7 bucks i get for 3.50...2 of these and you are fed for the day.

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

@Roark - the question here is again what kind of space does one need to cook?
The ERE-minimum place-requirment might look a bit like this: one hotplate that can be put away after cooling down - two if you´re going luxurious, place for one pot (pressure-cooker in my opinion with extra lid to double as conventional pot) one pan, place for salt & pepper and maybe some place for staples like noodles or rice and one or two extra Spoons for frying/stirring - fresh ingredients can be bought "just in time". Maybe add a small stove for placing on the counter if you cannot live without pizza.
Cook meals for two days and either freeze the leftovers or eat them the next day (usually great for the flavour, especially soups) Voila - dinner-happiness.
During her study my sister lived in one room that had approximately these arrangements and her place requirement was about 1 meter by 45 by 70.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chenda

Post by chenda »

For people earning a high hourly rate and working long hours, the opportunity cost of eating out may well be cheaper than cooking yourself. Coming home exhausted after 12hrs at the office and eating out may be better financially than finishing work early and all the career compromises this could bring. I think this was the point the article was trying (very badly) to say.

The governments of Western countries wish to stop us from voluntarily determining whether we want cheap food or "more safe" food and have instead decided for us. It's like mandating that we should all drive a Mercedes, and anything under that price range will just be illegal.

Surely its more like ensuring all vehicles are roadworthy, which of course is mandated ? If I'm buying food I want to know it meets certain regulatory standards. I don't want to die of food posioning to help my fellow consumers make more informed decisions. And weelchair ramps are pretty useful if your in a wheelchair.

Mo

Post by Mo »

It's a great article-- really well thought out and executed.
I like that taxes and tip are left out.
I don't know every state's tax laws, but in the states I have lived in prepared food is taxed, unprepared food from a grocery store is not.
My favorite comparison is the Cheesecake Factory's 1/2 chicken with mashed potatoes and carrots $16.45. In the grocery store in question, a chicken costs $18.36, potatoes are $3, and carrots are $3. In my area, I can buy an entire chicken for under $10, usually in the 4lb range. Potatoes do cost $3, but that's for a 5 pound bag. $3 worth of carrots is about 1.75 pounds of carrots.
So for about $16 I can get 10lbs of food at the grocery store, or I can go to a restaurant and get one meal, so long as I'm not expected to pay taxes or tip anyone.
It's pretty even I'd say.

Felix

Post by Felix »

What a bunch of shit that article is. Everytime I spend 3,50€ for lunch in our cafeteria, I think of the kilogram of ground meat I could have bought for this, or the 5kg of oatmeal, or the 7kg of flour. I should become more delusional.

noskich

Post by noskich »

Well, while it is true that in most developed countries eating out is much more expensive than eating in, this is not true at all in some regions like South-East Asia for example. Even in Singapore which is definitely a very developed country it does not make much sense to cook in order to save up.

Roark

Post by Roark »

Because I am a 100kg bodybuilder/athlete and need a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (about 220 grams per day) to maximize muscle gain, it is always cheaper to eat out at buffets. Especially all you can eat grills. It's kind of like shopping for loss leaders at the supermarket, which Jacob recommends. I fast all day then hit up the Korean grill or something after training for a paleo meal focused around beef and vegetables. They certainly lose money on me but I haven't been banned from one yet. In fact the owner of one offered me a job tutoring her daughter that I went to three times per week.

Roark

Post by Roark »

"Surely its more like ensuring all vehicles are roadworthy, which of course is mandated ?"
I like deciding for myself what food is suitable for *me* to eat. I do not like you deciding for me through political force. I do not think you have the right to use force (or people who use force on behalf of you, such as the government's police agents) to decide for *me* what I should eat.
"If I'm buying food I want to know it meets certain regulatory standards."`
Then do so through some type of voluntary certifying association instead of forcing other human beings to conform to your standards, and consequently stealing their wealth from them. Or at least provide an argument as to why you think you have the right to use force against your fellow man to satisfy your wishes and desires.
" And weelchair ramps are pretty useful if your in a wheelchair."`
But wheelchair ramps are an unneeded expense if I am not in a wheelchair. An expense that I would choose to forego in a voluntary society and instead shop at the restaurant without the $50,000 handicapped washroom so that I can eat food for cheaper and retire earlier. My house does not have a handicapped washroom and I eat at my house all the time. I also cook without washing my hands first. If I want to eat at my grandmothers house who does the same, you have no right to stop me. If I want to eat at a strangers restaurant who does the same, you have no right to stop me.

themoneymonk

Post by themoneymonk »

Based on my observations, the premise seems correct (grocery store prices seem to have risen by a larger percentage than restaurant prices) but so what?
Even if my $1.50 meal of rice and chicken goes up 50% its still significantly cheaper than a $7 Chipotle meal that went up 10%.
That article is wage-slave propaganda trash

chenda

Post by chenda »

Or at least provide an argument as to why you think you have the right to use force against your fellow man to satisfy your wishes and desires.

Because your voluntary actions can have involuntary and negative consequences for others. If my unroadworthy car explodes on the motorway, other drivers may die. If I sell poisonous food, eaters may die. Thats not to say self-regulation is neccessarily a bad idea; in some cases it might be better. But theres nothing unethical in the principle of forcing your fellow man to do something for the greater good of society. No one in their right mind today would advocate legalising drink driving or 'whites only' signs outside shops - its exactly the same principle.
But wheelchair ramps are an unneeded expense if I am not in a wheelchair.

So should disabled people be simply excluded from the market place ? Its never going to be profitable to install disabled facilities - an example of market failure. You can debate the extent to which adaptations can and should be made, but the principle of forcing you to pay for your fellow man to participate in society strikes me as highly ethical.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

@Roark: "Or at least provide an argument as to why you think you have the right to use force against your fellow man to satisfy your wishes and desires."
How about: When you get Hepatitis from the unregulated restaurant, I get to pay for your treatment in the form of increased insurance premiums or increased tax payments.

livinlite

Post by livinlite »

I do get some value out of using the salad bar at the grocery store to supplement the stuff I don't want to buy an entire package of...
For instance, if I want to treat myself/wife to a bacon and blue cheese omelette w/ spinach, it makes much more sense to get those three items out of the salad bar at $6.99/lb than to buy a whole package of bacon, blue cheese, and spinach individually. I get all the ingredients I need for a massive, delicious omelette for $3-4 including eggs; vs. having to invest $20 in larger packages that I may or may not want to have sitting around the fridge.
Similarly with a rotisserie chicken. I can get a free-range guy with no MSG or other stuff on it on Fridays from Whole Foods for $5.99...makes a few meals and stock for later in the week. I can barely buy a whole chicken for that; let alone the cook/oven time.
But those are comparisons to grocery stores, not restaurants.
If you're apples to apples comparing a gourmet meal at home to a gourmet meal at a restaurant, I think you come out relatively close, unless you end up with leftovers that you'll use for other recipes.
If you're eating for sustenance, ERE style, there's simply no comparison most of the time..especially if you're trying to eat organic food that doesn't have fillers/chemicals in it.