POV: Computer Science Weeb Touches Grass

Say hello!!
weebtouchesgrass

POV: Computer Science Weeb Touches Grass

Post by weebtouchesgrass »

Income: $0
Savings: $4000 - $6000
Debt: $6000
MBTI: INTP-T (Pretty Even down the middle so also get INFP and INTJ)
Hobbies: Watching Anime, Reading, Video Games, Guitar, Language learning, Thinking (I like to stare at clouds and contemplate my place in the universe instead of getting high on weed)
Degree: Computer Science

Hi All! I am a recent college grad starting from ground zero. I have been obsessed with the idea of early retirement since late high school.
I was initially introduced to the idea through Mr. Money Mustache and thus thought I needed over a million dollars to support my lifestyle.

However, I stumbled across the blog a few years ago through the MMM guest post, and was immediately captivated by the ideas and how they went beyond retiring early but solving real social and global issues on an individual level.

I reread the Book after graduating because I wanted to reassess my goals, and found that the ERE lifestyle perfectly aligns with my lifelong goals.

I want to build a plethora of different skills, build businesses, and do some actual good in the world instead of propogating existing problems.

Eventually I'd like to settle down and have some kids in the boonies that I can give my full attention to teaching them latin and calculus by the time they reach high school. I want to, in zoomer terms, touch grass instead of blazing my eyes with blue light day after day. (For other generations lingo "Do epic s**t!" instead of vegetating in front of the television as a nightly ritual). Not only that, I think also with upcoming resource defficiencies that this is the ethical way to live. Water and silver are some concerning ones but there is also other countries suffering by causing a war over oil plant (familiar with ERE folks) or giving 3 year olds lung cancer from buying the latest lithium powered device. So I think this is the moral way to live.

Going back to work and the present time, I recently lost the job I was supposed to have for the next six months. It would appear the company is going under based on what I can extrapolate on the group messages. I am tired of tech and a little disheartened, and think I can improve various skills while working a job. So I am taking some time off, deciding what career I want to try next (because I don't think tech is right for me and I am not currently motivated to put in the work to get a tech job) working on some projects I havn't been able to touch for a while, maybe doing the transatlantic bike trail in a year. Then I'll hit the gun working overtime, and saving enough money to sustain life living the ERE lifestyle.

So far I am thinking doing sales because I want to push myself to break out of my shyness while getting compensated for extra effort or electrical because it what my pops did and currently pays well. (I just don't want a repeat of computer science where the market is flooded with competition, outsourcing, and AI right as I get started in the field...)

That's what I'm thinking for now I'm just going to get back into physical shape, save up money to do the transatlantic bike trail. After that I'll hit the dust running to save money to live an ERE lifestyle before I start a business.

Looking forward to talking with all of you and exchanging ideas!

ertyu

Re: POV: Computer Science Weeb Touches Grass

Post by ertyu »

Loving the nickname welcome dude

I see zero harm in giving sales a try. Even if it doesn't work out, there's nothing you'll lose.

One thing you might want to consider during your period of unemployment, in addition to working on projects you've been wanting to get to and otherwise pursuing your interests (in addition to! not instead!) is to think which practical skills you will need when you begin working and saving and to start working on that. Do you know how to cook, meal-prep, and source healthy food cheaply? Can you mend clothes? How about your "stuff"? Is it too little, too much, or "enough"? Etc. Think of other skills, too. You might want to look at the 21-day makeover on the ere blog for starter ideas even though the posts are 15 yrs old by now. Good luck

delay

Post by delay »

Welcome! Being unemployed is a good time to practice frugality. When I get laid off, I always start by cutting expenses, and then on finding new income. Did you enjoy working for a startup? If so, you could look around for others. Startups are easier to join when you're young.

In addition to the 21-day makeover ertyu mentioned the book is also worth reading. I remember a quote from Jeff Atwood about not staying where you are not happy. I can't find the quote, but it's good advice.

weebtouchesgrass

Thanks for the welcome ertyu and delay!
The moment I became unemployed I went through all my expenses and slashed all expenses I could. So I agree being unemployed is a great time to practice frugality!

I would consider myself to be a good cook, but I need to work on understanding the underlying principles of cooking. I just taste it and say "oh its missing this." I'll add it and proceed to garner the praise of family and friends like "I'm a 5 star Michelin."

But I have no clue what I'm actually doing. So learning the underlying principles of cooking and knowing which base ingredients to buy are definete points of improvement

I have been going through the 21-day makeover, but its hard to figure out what I can slash because i've been in college for the past 5 years and living with my parents.

I've just finished the book, I have so many insights after trudging a college degree, and found myself constantly nodding as Jacob summarized my pain points with pinpoint accuracy.

Skillwise I can cook, I do most of my car repairs, most household handyman repairs, and mend clothes. I shop at thriftstores, and try to keep things minimal. But need to improve on tracking the prices and being patient to get the all time low price.
So the biggest room for improvement would probably accounting and investing skills. I've been dependent on index funds for investing (something that scares me since literally EVERYONE are in indexes)and have been dependent on turbotax to file my own taxes.

Are there any specific financial or accounting skills that are fundamental in learning other skills? Or other useful skills not mentioned?

Jean

Post by Jean »

welcome!
What is the transatlantic bike trail? I find no conclusive answer using a search engine (it shows the trans america trail, an a bike trail in ireland).

Veronica

Post by Veronica »

weebtouchesgrass wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 pm
Income: $0
Savings: $4000 - $6000
Debt: $6000
Welcome!

I would advise you to consider starting a journal of some kind; it's been a nice way to "build in public" so to speak, and get wisdom from the crowd of ERE forum members (which in my opinion, are much more valuable than the unwashed masses).

Can I ask about the situation with current expenses? It's always nice to have the luxury to explore and reorient yourself after a setback, but it's not always practical, and it seems to me that you don't have much of a cushion or margin of error if you live on your own.

What I will say is that going into electrical is likely to be a very solid bet, at least in the US. I can't remember the last time I had an electrician that was under 40 years old, and I'm willing to wager that's not a coincidence. If that pattern is true across the US, I'd say that more are aging out of the profession than new ones are coming in to replace them. That scarcity is often good for business, and it's a rare few I've met that are fine with the electric being off long-term.

weebtouchesgrass

Jean, you are right it is the trans america trail not the transatlantic trail. I goofed up and forgot the name. There are several bike trails that cross the US so I might end up going with a different one. Hi Veronica, I'll be sure to start a journal when I get some income as I doubt an incomeless journal would be very exciting. Current situation with expenses is just a monthly car insurance payment of ~ $30 and gas. I live with my parents and they won't charge me rent for another 6 months. So that's why I am able to take this short stint off work. I do plan on getting a part time job, but I think It'll have to wait till august because I have some lengthy camping trips planned. So plan is to take the summer off, find job in late august, save up for the bike trail, and then work full time to get my savings in place.