Gaming/virtual economies (EVE online)

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Gaming/virtual economies (EVE online)

Post by jacob »

Jean wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:45 pm
There are a lot of very good game now. I have several games with playtime in the 4 digits.
They don't help the world, but they keep me in a learning state that would otherwise require to be very invested in a career to be attained.
Most job don't realy help the world either, at most, they fix issues caused by other jobs.
Some evidence that gaming improves neuroplasticity: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... game-play/
Not all games produce the same kind and the same game might not even produce the same results if people play different styles, e.g. someone taking reaction-shots vs someone circling around. Some games produce little effect (Sims?). Some produce a negative effect in being easy dopamine dispensers with little thought required.

In terms of sheer intensity, I haven't done anything similarly since solving quantum mechanics problems in undergrad. It's also interesting how my two main games use different parts of the brain to the point where I can feel the difference depending on what I focused on that day. Warships uses the temporal lobes which are associated with working memory. Likely because one has to remember where the other ships are [going] when they fall outside detection range while constantly working out relatively simple firing solutions. E.g. rotating turrets enough will take 8 seconds but the enemy#1 will get behind an island in 12 seconds and requires an 5 second lead, so it wont work, while enemy#2 ... [For the real world dorks, I suppose this would be similar to quickly deciding which base to cover first in baseball?) Whereas DCS (a combat flightsim) is all parietal lobe zonking. That part of the brain has to do with spatial orientation which makes sense: You're in a plane trying to orient yourself towards the ground as well as the anti aircraft below you and the SAMs coming after you. I no longer consciously think about the actual controls (stick, rudder, pedals). When I was in the learning phase, the brain usage was temporal lobe too which surprised me at the time.

Interestingly enough the same research reveals that traditional "brain games" are actually not that effective in terms of neuroplastic improvement. They probably lack the intensity. Or perhaps they're just not that interesting. Some research also suggest that in order for the brain to change, the brain also has to be engaged. This might be were many jobs fail---especially when they've become routine.

The only effect I have detected that translates is that my eye-to-hand coordination has gotten rather much better compared to before.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

This discussion is making me think of the work I did/am currently doing. I'm modeling mechanical systems for buildings in a 3d environment where the objects aren't just dimensional but also informational - a duct knows how much air is going through it and what the velocity and friction drop are, etc. I can and do drop into flow doing this kind of work for 4-12 hrs a day (long days require long breaks). With this particular kind of work I think there's a narrow sweet spot of cognitive predilection, as evidenced by how few people in the industry are actually good and fast at this kind of work, despite this software existing for over 20 years. For most people it's a slog, other people dream in it. :?

I've tried several times to get back into gaming, but I always lose interest within 2-12hrs of gameplay. Come to think of it, it's since I started doing this work that games mysteriously lost their appeal to me...

Jean

Post by Jean »

I think all game can have negative effect when you stop being challenged but still keep playing. It then becomes a very cheap and useless way of suceeding at something.
I also note that some games have problem complex enough, so that trying to solve the same problem 1 year later is still challenging, because important part of the solution have been forgoten. (like doing a landing mission on Eve in Kerbal space programm that can bring back the kerbonaut)

@AxelHeyst you mean you get paid to play factorio? what is your streaming account?

daylen

Post by daylen »

I see great potential in normalizing games as an exploration of what could be, grounded in what is. Citizens existing along a spectrum of [actualizers to virtualizers] for all necessary activities to sustain civilization. Citizens that converge onto an activity flow that the economy + social policy rewards get the lion's share of the wealth generation. Riskier flows perhaps attracting more attention to be extended into the virtual where citizens that would diverge from the activity flow can prove a superior path to earn some portion of the wealth (as decided by some group in a centralized organization or a decentralized blockchain). Artificial agents could automate some portion of the path for less risky activities. Virtualizers check the work of actualizers and actualizers check the work of automations. This could involve varying degrees of anonymity between layers.

PhoneticNachos

Post by PhoneticNachos »

As a former pro gamer who has played tournaments of all sorts for a multitude of games. They are a great entertainment value per dollar spent over time.

I have been a part of several guilds, alliances and gaming groups over the years, net positive gain over time, considering time/investment over hours played.

The biggest reward being from Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning, that was how I got a huge group of people to invest into crypto and we all got a lot of money.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

PhoneticNachos wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 am
As a former pro gamer who has played tournaments of all sorts for a multitude of games.
Were the games all within the same category, e.g. FPS, or did you play different categories too, e.g. FPS and RTS?

Did you find that the skills/talents transferred between games such as game equivalent of IQ for academic studies or athleticism for sports?

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

There's a good amount of ex-Starcraft pros who became poker pros.

PhoneticNachos

Post by PhoneticNachos »

jacob wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm
Were the games all within the same category, e.g. FPS, or did you play different categories too, e.g. FPS and RTS?

Did you find that the skills/talents transferred between games such as game equivalent of IQ for academic studies or athleticism for sports?
Starcraft, various shooting games, a few MMOs, really all sorts, sports we would play games and drive to regional tournaments, or do MLG online ones

Lots of transferable skills with gaming and investing, why I got into forex trading and stock investing, because of reading the charts seems to scratch the same mental itch that a lot of video games stimulate, and I agree with @zbigi that a lot of good gamers make excellent poker players.

I work at Fidelity Investments now, and am working towards being a CFP financial advisor eventually.