Traditional fridge/freezer vs alternative options

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Gewie

Traditional fridge/freezer vs alternative options

Post by Gewie »

I think owning a freezer is probably optimal, because it allows taking advantage of bulk pricing and sales. It's also an extremely convenient way to store fruits, vegetables, and meat without sacrificing nutritional value as with canning and dehydration. Generally chest freezers that I would consider cost around $30 a year to run and something like $500-$600 new. (~$30-$60/year depreciation) So $60-$90 a year total, which seems well worth the benefits. I haven't learned how to determine the value of a used model but this would likely be another way to optimize if I could reliably avoid getting a lemon. On the other hand, maybe a higher end freezer would be worth getting instead of a cheap option?

It's harder to argue for a refrigerator from a cost standpoint, but I think that milk and eggs are actually quite nutritious for the cost. Typically stores in my area seem to use them as loss leaders, which results in them having the lowest cost per gram of complete protein of any items in the store that I have considered. Whole milk also offers around 1000 calories for $1.20 - not as good as rice/beans/flour/oatmeal, but still quite good.

The options I am considering are:

1) Freezer only: freeze milk, eggs, and leftovers and unthaw in a microwave or on the countertop. Haven't tried this but seems possible?

2) Traditional fridge/freezer combo: Slightly more expensive than a chest freezer, but around 2x electric cost and depreciation rate(?). There may be a "free" fridge thrown in when I purchase a house in the near future, which would change my calculation (at least until it breaks).

3) Chest freezer and high end cooler: Supposedly, very high end coolers (~$200 used, possibly with a $15 gasket replacement) can keep ice frozen for a week or more, which means an internal temperature of 0C. I could freeze some ice packs in the chest freezer and transfer them to my cooler once a week. I think this would save something like $100 a year since the cooler would negligibly increase electric cost and would not depreciate in value? Plus, I get to own a sweet high quality cooler instead of a cheap crappy fridge. I think it would also match my desired space considerations quite well.

4) No freezer, no fridge: I haven't read enough about this possibility yet. I know Jacob recommends books on supplying sailboats. Based on a quick price analysis at my local stores, it seems like most preserved food is both less nutritious and more expensive. I feel like there might be a solution here though?

Kind of crazy how much thought you can put into what initially seemed like a simple question. :P I'm curious if anyone else has figured out an optimal solution in this area?

loutfard

Re: Traditional fridge/freezer vs alternative options

Post by loutfard »

In Europe, eggs are kept outside of the fridge. No source, but I remember reading this being due to different, less intrusive processing. If you can find fresh eggs not processed the standard US way, you can perfectly keep those outside the fridge.

1l packaged UHT milk can keep outside the frige for half a year. Keeping it without cooling for long is not recommended, but If it goes off a little, you can still make nice pancakes out of it.

Do you live in a fairly cold climate and have an unheated room/garage/...? Do consider unplugging the fridge during winter, putting food to be kept at fridge temperatures in the cold room. Or if you live in a rural location, do check how people used to have root cellars. My neighbours still have and actively use one.

delay

Post by delay »

Gewie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 am
I'm curious if anyone else has figured out an optimal solution in this area?
This one is easy to figure out by yourself. You can just turn off the fridge. I had to step over same kind of mental block to do it :D But then you can see with your own eyes what keeps well and what doesn't.

Eggs stay well outside the fridge, and so does fresh milk and fresh meat. Meat from the supermarket does not keep well. Cheese keeps shorter.

So I figured out a fridge is just convenience. It allows you to store food longer and have a cold drink in summertime. Mine is back on :lol: When I think about it, I should try a fridgeless month again.

Gewie

Post by Gewie »

@loutfart Great points, I searched and found several people on Craigslist selling unwashed eggs for a similar price to the supermarket eggs. Maybe they hatched to many chickens? ;) I did a price check on UHT milk and it looks to be around 3-4x the price of regular milk, which would go against my goal of taking advantage of the favorable price to nutrition ratio. It gets quite cold here in the winter time (-20C) so a cold room (or enclosed porch) could definitely be an option. I would like to use a root cellar, but I am planning to move to the city because of walkability, cheaper utilities, and lower cost housing in my area. It seems like they need to be at least a few meters deep so not a small project?

@delay Interesting! I am currently buying bulk meat and putting in the freezer, which saves maybe $50-75 a year compared to buying only what I could use before it spoils. I could find unwashed eggs locally, but I would likely have to spend a bit more on gas driving around rural areas. Do you buy a gallon of milk from the store and leave it on the counter? Seems like a pretty fun experiment. I wonder if there is an easy way to test for harmful bacteria other than taste and smell?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Gewie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:37 am
4) No freezer, no fridge: I haven't read enough about this possibility yet. I know Jacob recommends books on supplying sailboats. Based on a quick price analysis at my local stores, it seems like most preserved food is both less nutritious and more expensive. I feel like there might be a solution here though?
Vegetables from the backyard. Other fresh stuff from corner store on the way out/home. Pantry for base (dry staples, canned food, pickled, ...). Leftovers are only kept for a day/rolled into next days dinner. This how people lived before refrigeration was invented.

When I was a grad student, my allocated space in the kitchen refrigerator was about the size of a half a carry-on, so it's certainly possible. Consider that most people fill their giant fridges with the two C's: Condiments and compost ;-)

delay

Post by delay »

Gewie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:10 am
Do you buy a gallon of milk from the store and leave it on the counter?
The store only has pasteurized milk, I buy milk from the local farm and keep it in a cabinet. It stays well for three days. It's in a 1 litre (1/4th gallon) glass bottle (the farmer will fill any container you bring.)
Gewie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:10 am
I wonder if there is an easy way to test for harmful bacteria other than taste and smell?
The taste and smell are clear enough. But I can also see through the glass when it spoils, the milk clumps and there's water on top.

Gewie

Post by Gewie »

@jacob Nice, I think I may give it a try for a month or two and see how the costs compare. I am considering starting a garden for the first time this year - perhaps this would be best combined with a DIY solar dehydrator? I really like blueberries for the health benefits and flavor, but they are quite expensive and hard to grow. I am considering growing blackberries or elderberries possibly as an alternative. I will also be looking for a place less than a mile away from the grocery store. I imagine the types of meals cooked will determine likelihood of spoiling. Probably with some planning this could be optimized.

@delay Wow, I didn't know fresh milk lasted that long. That's good to know! I did some research and found out that the local law in my area forbids selling unpasteurized milk, but I could possibly still go this route if I owned some small milk producing animals like goats. Not really an option in the city though.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Gewie wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 am
@delay Wow, I didn't know fresh milk lasted that long. That's good to know! I did some research and found out that the local law in my area forbids selling unpasteurized milk, but I could possibly still go this route if I owned some small milk producing animals like goats. Not really an option in the city though.
Also, milk starting to go off can still be put into pancakes. Obviously not when it is green or jumping at you, but beyond the normal "I'd drink this"...

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I think you'll find this thread of use: viewtopic.php?t=11374

Gewie

Post by Gewie »

theanimal wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 pm
I think you'll find this thread of use: viewtopic.php?t=11374
Which cooler did you end up going with? How has it lasted with daily use over time?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

We never ended up buying a cooler, we have just continued to use what we have on hand. I don't think this is the exact model that we have, but it seems like it's pretty close.
https://www.coleman.com/coolers-drinkwa ... 79159.html

Nothing fancy, just a regular cooler. Our only initial difficulty was with keeping greens in the summer as they tended to wilt faster than in a fridge. Now that our garden is developed, that is no longer an issue as we just get the greens from the garden when we need them. Neither of us have any interest in switching to a regular fridge. If I came across a good deal for a Coleman Xtreme cooler, we may consider upgrading. Otherwise, no complaints. We are friends with 2 other households in the area that have been doing the same strategy for years. I was talking with one of them the other day about it and their sentiment mirrors ours.

Re your concerns in your original post...We eat about 12 dozen eggs a month as a family. Our eggs just sit out on the counter. Apparently you're not supposed to do this in the US because the commercial eggs don't have the natural protective coating but so far we've gone 4 years with no ill results. We eat a lot of yogurt and make our own. For the most part, yogurt and milk stay in the cooler. In the summer, any milk that's not being used stays in a freezer.

Also, I'd just look for a used chest freezer first before splurging for a new one. This may be regional dependent in terms of availability. In my area, they are abundant and you can expect to pay no more than $100 for a freezer of any size in good working condition.