smart watch to reduce phone screen time?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
sodatrain

smart watch to reduce phone screen time?

Post by sodatrain »

I'm wanting to reduce my phone screen time and have long been interested in Smart watches but haven't purchased one in about 5 years.

My latest thought process... How to I get my music (Spotify) without using my phone (or laptop). I found a device for this like a big iPod Nano. No thank you.

What about using a smart watch that has Spotify. I guess it still probably just manipulates my phone which is Bluetooth connected to a portable speaker.

I'd turn off most other notifications on the watch. I see I can have a grocery list, my notes all (Google Keep) and hopefully someday Google Tasks.

The sleep and activity data is mildly interesting.

Has anyone used a smart watch to reduce their smart phone usage? Am I rationalizing?

Thanks!

Sclass

Re: smart watch to reduce phone screen time?

Post by Sclass »

You’re rationalizing. Just put your phone down. It’s cheaper.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Agree with Sclass. "If I buy more electronics I'll use less electronics" Is an interesting argument that nearly never pans out. Or you could just remove / block the timesinks from your smart phone and actually deal with the problem and save $300 or whatever in the process? You need more friction to keep you from using the smartphone that way. Maybe also just don't keep it attached to your body?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Any excuse for another computer! Smart watches are fun.

You can also consider a light phone 2 or jelly star phone, for greater digital friction.

And then find yourself in front of the laptop, scrolling the main phone, while texting on the minimalist phone, as music streams from the watch.

Sadly, it's an analog problem. One I think many of us share.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

For the music problem: Maybe boombox plus 10 - 20 CDs? They could even be your own personally burned CDs with a "playlist" of your design rather than the CDs from the artists which have tracks one could take or leave. Then you can even cancel Spotify (put the mp3s on the CD and on your phone, so when you are travelling or away from the boombox you still have the music available). If it's background music, perhaps that will be enough variety. You can always seek out new music yourself in front of your computer when that's what you're looking for.

But also +1 to folks above saying your solution doesn't seem likely to work, at least from my POV.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Ha! Ok. Thanks for pulling me back from the temptation! Opportunity for building discipline.

delay

Post by delay »

Mobiles are made to be addictive. A smart watch made by Apple is not designed to help you reduce phone usage. Quite the opposite.

Phone addiction is like a permanent headwind. Discipline doesn't help because it's a finite resource. You run out discipline eventually.

What worked for me is reducing the headwind and setting up barriers for the attraction that is left:
  • uninstall apps
  • disable notifications
  • take the phone out of your trousers and put it in your backpack
  • disable face or finger recognition, set up a long inconvenient PIN code
  • turn wi-fi on only when you need it
  • turn mobile data on only when you need it
  • turn your SIM on only when you need it (plane mode)
  • log out from social media
  • change email retrieval to "manual sync"
  • keep going: uninstall more apps, disable more notifications, create more barriers
I'm now at the point where my mobile is off by default and I often leave it at home. Took me a long time to get there.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Slevin wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:33 pm
Agree with Sclass. "If I buy more electronics I'll use less electronics" Is an interesting argument that nearly never pans out.
I use my e-reader quite a lot, but it doesn't feel very electronicsy. It's an offline device with very little dopamine hits builtin.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

sodatrain wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:29 pm
I found a device for this like a big iPod Nano. No thank you.
Small iPod Shuffle then.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

delay wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:52 pm
What worked for me is reducing the headwind and setting up barriers for the attraction that is left:
  • disable face or finger recognition, set up a long inconvenient PIN code
  • turn wi-fi on only when you need it
  • turn mobile data on only when you need it
  • turn your SIM on only when you need it (plane mode)
I'm now at the point where my mobile is off by default and I often leave it at home. Took me a long time to get there.
I trimmed your list to things I haven't tried but love the ideas! Thanks for those beyond the normal "uninstall/disable notifications" suggestions. I immediately disabled finger print recognition when I read it in your post. Good idea.

I'm thinking creating some blocks of time where I can have more unrestricted access for an hour or two here and there - to keep in touch with people. I'm not on Social Media and one of the biggest time sucks is WhatsApp - just chatting with friends. I'm staring to use more voice notes - it's more efficient that typing away for way too long.

I sometimes leave my phone at home for quick little runs to the local store or something.

Do you use a computer at all? Is that a temptation? Do you use your computer more because you use your phone less?

One of my 'requirements' at this point is being at least somewhat mindful of Airbnb guest inquires/messages. I rent out my place sometimes when I am not home and that sort of demands some attention.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:57 pm
Small iPod Shuffle then.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0
Haha. love it. I'm hoping to have something that will connect to my blue tooth speaker for a little more volume/sound quality.... The larger device I referenced before is called Mighty.

delay

Post by delay »

sodatrain wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:33 pm
Do you use a computer at all? Is that a temptation? Do you use your computer more because you use your phone less?
Yes, some of the time I spent on the phone is now on the laptop. It's a long road... :D

Good luck in your phone reduction effort! Looking forward to read how it works for you.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Thanks @delay. It's a journey for sure! I cut most notifications maybe a year ago. Been experimenting with Focus Mode on android - and the digital well being stuff. I go thru phases of trying to keep just one screen (or maybe two) full of App icons. Just put on a couple widgits, which I'm loving actually (fasting timer and a habit tracker where I can see and tick the new/desired habbits off as I complete them during the day).

I think I need a small notebook to keep on me or at least near by to reach for when I have fleeting thoughts/ideas/tasks instead of my phone. ( and make it a GTD inbox and part of reviews).

I need to get a job at some point.. that will be a huge risk of throwing a wrinkle in all of this!

josephearly

Post by josephearly »

I’ve experimented with various timepieces, including four smartwatches and three hybrids, but ultimately found a balance with a classic digital watch paired with a compact smartphone. This setup nudges me towards larger screens like tablets or computers for more immersive activities such as watching videos or gaming, effectively reducing my phone screen time. Maybe not the result you're looking for, but it's definitely a step forward for me. Good luck with yours, @sodatrain!