Shaz's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
shaz

Re: Shaz's journal

Post by shaz »

@theanimal @mooretrees thanks for checking in. The reducing has slowed down. I got to a point where it felt like I got rid of nearly everything I don't need. I know that isn't really the case. I'm still slowly getting rid of things and I expect it will pick back up once I get used to the new lower amount of possessions.

~General Update~

A scarcity mindset has been creeping back in as DH and I get closer to our retirement dates. It's scary seeing the firehose of cash about to be cut down to something more resembling a garden hose. Which part of my brain knows will be plenty but part of my brain finds to be terrifying.

I also find myself putting off all sorts of things until after I retire because I know I will have more time for them then. I'm not sure that is exactly a good idea but also I don't have the emotional energy to fight it right now.

Last month my body found another creative and unprovoked way to try to kill me (my small intestine literally tied itself in a knot). I spent a week in the hospital with a tube down my throat and had another surgery. I finally got cleared to resume normal activity 2 days ago.

DH set his retirement date as May 3, with April 19 being his last day actually working. He submitted all of the necessary paperwork to HR so we are committed.

I am wavering on my date. My employer has offered to allow me to be 100% remote if I will put off retiring. On the one hand, my recent hospitalization took me to my max out of pocket for the year so changing health insurance mid-year means I will end up spending thousands of dollars needlessly because I know I have 2 sets of expensive scans that I still need to do this year. On the other hand, I would like to retire while I can still enjoy it. On the gripping hand ... I suspect what will happen is that I will retire as soon as the weather warms up enough to make me totally envious of DH's freedom to be active outside.

As of January we hit our target retirement savings so that worked out pretty much as planned.

I'm putting my oldest cat to sleep today because her quality of life has declined to the point where it is the kindest thing to do. I'm overwhelmingly sad to lose her. I slept on the floor with her the past 5 nights because I didn't want her to be alone. I also recognize that the reduction in pets is also happening pretty much the way I projected.

I'll try to put together a more coherent update soon.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

shaz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:12 pm
Last month my body found another creative and unprovoked way to try to kill me (my small intestine literally tied itself in a knot). I spent a week in the hospital with a tube down my throat and had another surgery. I finally got cleared to resume normal activity 2 days ago.
O no! I am glad you are on the mend. By "normal activity" are you able to ride your horses yet?

shaz

Post by shaz »

@mountainFrugal I got out on my horse on Saturday. It was such a a relief to be able to ride again!

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

shaz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:12 pm
I'm putting my oldest cat to sleep today because her quality of life has declined to the point where it is the kindest thing to do. I'm overwhelmingly sad to lose her. I slept on the floor with her the past 5 nights because I didn't want her to be alone. I also recognize that the reduction in pets is also happening pretty much the way I projected.
My sister put her oldest pup to sleep today too (of her 7 dogs, and he helped raise / train literally over 40 other fosters over the past 15 years), so I understand the feeling. Its always so tough to do even when they are struggling and breaks my heart every time. I've only broken down sobbing like 5 or 10 times today. I'm sure when you look back on this you will be really happy you spent the past few nights with her on the floor to stay with her.

shaz

Post by shaz »

@slevin thanks, and I'm sorry about your sister's pup.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Glad to see an update from you @shaz. Sorry to hear of the health issues and your cat passing. Some animals stand out as special. We're lucky to have the time.

Congrats on hitting the savings target. It may feel anti-climatic, but that's a major life accomplishment.

100% remote can quickly grow into living at work. I'd probably give it a try, see if strong boundaries are possible. If not, there's no shame in saying I'm done, or even trying to negotiate a part time relationship. It all depends on how fast you'd like to make the transition. Our work relationships can be intimate and important, even as we're trying to escape the time obligation.

shaz

Post by shaz »

@scott 2 thank you. I miss that cat a lot.

You are so right about the hazards of 100% remote. I did it for 7 years at a prior job. The first 5 years were great but the last 2 turned into living at work. It was so bad that it drove me to take a different job that was 0% remote.

I don't know how long I will keep working. I do want to get my next set of scans completed before I change health insurance. My boss is trying to jedi mind trick me into continuing to work. He is pretty good at the Jedi mind trick thing but I think the lure of uncrowded trails on weekdays during the summer will win out.

My job is pretty easy right now but it does keep me off the trails during business hours. The big risk to sticking around for a while is that if a crisis such as a global pandemic or a major lawsuit occurs, I might feel too bad about quitting and leaving someone else stuck dealing with the crisis. Then I could be trapped for years while living at work and be forced to fake my own death to escape.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

When I worked as a carer I was off from Tuesday 3pm to Friday 2 pm. This was brilliant for interacting with the uncrowded outside world. I wish this working pattern could be adopted other workplaces. And I think even in white collar / coding it would be great too as it would facilitate deep work on weekends when there are no meetings. Shame there are few options for doing it in this setting.

Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Hello Shaz, dropping in to say how much I am enjoying your journal. I grew up with horses and am inspired by your desire to travel with them full time. I am sorry to hear about your beloved cat and recent stay in the hospital. Glad to hear you are better now and up for a ride!

I agree with guitarplayer, it can be life changing to arrange your schedule to gain off time during the workweek. Its like a completely different world without the weekend crowds! I'm trying to get DH to do this. It's easy to feel like we *need* to be available during all standard office hours, but I suspect once everyone knows you are unavailable during XYZ times, people will work around it. Of course it really depends on the nature of your job.

Wishing the best on your retirement journey. I will be following!

shaz

Post by shaz »

@gadget Thank you for the kind words.

That's a good point that I can (maybe) rearrange my work schedule to have more weekday time on the trails. Last year I took vacation every Wednesday during the warm months. That was OK because I just made sure all of my recurring meetings were on other days. This year I want to try taking half days every Tuesday and Thursday but it is a bit of a problem because of course those are the days all of my recurring meetings got rescheduled to last year. Hopefully I can get all of my urgent health needs taken care of and just quit the job!

shaz

Post by shaz »

@guitarplayer one of the reasons your journal caught my attention is that I also worked as a carer when I was in my 20s. I always chose to work weekends and have weekdays off. My favorite schedule was when I could do all of my work hours in 3 days per week. I agree it would be great if other workplaces would adopt more flexible schedules.

My main complaint about my job now is that it restricts me from being outside on nice days. If I were allowed to work in the evenings I would happily continue for years yet because mostly I enjoy what I do and I think the nonprofit I work for is doing important things. Maybe I should try having a conversation with my boss about a flexible schedule. He has already offered to let me work part time or become a contractor. Hmmm. Something to consider.