ERE Marching Meetup Series

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: ERE Marching Meetup Series

Post by jacob »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. My feet are hamburger and I lost my voice. But it was worth it.

I didn't see the money-part of the FOMO-argument through the lens of indexing vs market-beating but more as hands-off vs hands-on in terms of interest [in investing], confidence, and SWAN (not getting beaten by the market vs beating the market).

Maybe we should have a canning party, possibly as a finisher for the next Tour de Cicero?
(It would take about 45 mins of prep and ~90 minutes of boiling outside. This will make 19 jars of beans. The burner/pressure needs to be continuously monitored, so it would fit well with sitting and talking after walking.)

Taking suggestions for next time/place?

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Kevin Kelly and a rotating cast of friends do whole trips centered on walking and talking. I enjoyed this write up on what they’ve learned https://kk.org/thetechnium/files/2023/1 ... ndtalk.pdf

They pick a topic of conversation at the start of their multi day trip. All conversations, both while walking and eating, center on that topic.

It could be fun to have a conversational theme that we focus on for the duration of an ERE march. If it’s boring, we abandon it.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Smashter - Based on my experience with AVA group walks, talking AND walking tends to make the conversational subgroups smaller. Typically 2-3 people (max 4) for a given conversation. If there are more people, it tends to split e.g. into a front-group and a back-group or even a string. I suspect this is because the walking part forces people to face the same forward direction as opposed to standing around which is compatible with 2-8 people partaking in the same conversation (anything more and it becomes more like a lecture/the extroverts take over). Being on the extreme end of the introvert scale, I definitely find it easier to partake in a conversation the fewer there are, so capping the subgroup at 3 or maximum 4 works better for me.

Dave

Post by Dave »

I would be down for a canning party after Tour De Cicero 2.0!

My schedule just firmed up, and the next time I'm in Chicagoland with a free weekend is the weekend of 05/18 - 05/19. After that, the next time would be in August.

We talked about making it closer to @Smashter next time, IIRC a Bender Park or sections of an Ice Age Trail. I haven't spent any time near either and don't have real preference, either of those or something else is good by me!

Interesting article and thoughts on walking strategies.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Definitely down for a canning party at some point, that would be really fun.

I can't do that weekend, unfortunately. I will look forward to August!

Doing that one in southern WI would be great, thanks for keeping it in mind.