Mastermind Group #2: Electric Boogaloo

Home of groups, cadres, circles, teams, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Mastermind Group #2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by jacob »

sodatrain wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:21 pm
Is this one of those things where getting the book is handy if you really want to embrace it?
I suppose it comes down to one's learning style/philosophy and also one's goals. Like whether one wants to learn how it works or whether one just wants to talk about it. In my opinion, if the goal is to actually understand a complicated subject, ten hours with a textbook is worth hundreds of hours of unguided internet googling or debating. This is because a textbook provides a coherent overview of the framework. It shows the forest, whereas internet searches, random articles, and forum debates tend to concentrate on the individual trees that one happens to stumble upon. This is fine if one sees the forest. Otherwise, talking about trees without having ever seen the forest can be an exasperating waste of time.

In short, you need the textbook if you haven't read it. You don't need the textbook, if you have read it. In my opinion, it's not a keeper. Once you understand the system or the skeleton, the internet is a better source of meat.

grundomatic

Re: Mastermind Group #2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by grundomatic »

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and takeaways from the meeting.
Cam wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:55 am
Whereas for extroverts it's great because they think "damn I could use some socializing" and then they spot someone needing help in the garden. The introvert gets help, has an easy conversational topic, and the extrovert gets the socialization they need.
Bicycle7 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:02 pm
I appreciate spontaneity structured around activities as well. For extroverts, it certainly seems like the main goal can be just connecting and conversation.
Using the reverse fishbone diagram, yes, the 0th order goal for this extravert is often socializing. I now seek to replace detrimental 1st order effects with beneficial ones. Drinking beer and talking is replaced with walking and talking. More ERE people nearby seems like it will mean a better chance of this happening.