Asymmetric risk investing/barbell strategy

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Stahlmann

Asymmetric risk investing/barbell strategy

Post by Stahlmann »

Your experiences?
Your bets?
Recommended gurus or paid groups which sell signals?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Asymmetric risk investing/barbell strategy

Post by jacob »

Pro perspective: Barbells are advanced strategies that require understanding two different groups of investors (the risky and the risk-averse) better than they each understand themselves. Your profit is in the difference between the two because you can put your weight with whoever is more right than wrong. In short, a barbell strategy gives you options to maneuver.

Noob perspective: It's a way to make bets on extreme risk w/o losing your shirt. Likely you'll be losing money to the people in the first paragraph. Monies lost would be either explicit and immediate or opportunity costs.

Overall perspective: A barbell is rather binary. You're actually dealing with an entire risk/alpha surface. Weights are loaded all over the bar, not just the ends. And the bar is not one-dimensional either.

xmj

Post by xmj »

Recommended reading is anything by Mark Spitznagel.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Marry the accountant. Have a fling with the rock star. Just don't become the forever girlfriend of the pharmaceutical rep.

Henry

Post by Henry »

I have played and continued to play individual asymmetric opportunities. Or in other words, I place some bets. Usually in the pharma, health sciences area. The issue I have encountered is that my "right" bets get acquired before the explosive gains. So I might make some money, but I don't bet big enough to have my needle moved on a 2-3X. And if I didn't buy at the right price point, I might still suffer a loss or come out whole. Most of these companies seem to cash out before the individual investors can reap the real rewards.

Bostrom

Post by Bostrom »

LEAP options. You can get the same long term return as an index fund by investing 25% of your portfolio in index call options. If you buy calls on a lot of individual stocks instead you will also increase the return and decrease the risk. There are many ways to improve the strategy.

Here is an article where they use a very simple strategy with index calls:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/424285 ... n-analysis

PhoneticNachos

Post by PhoneticNachos »

I like the outlook explained in the book the income factory. I also like the trading style of Walter Schloss/Peter Lynch. No such thing as too many holding, they both had hundreds.