Plantnerd's place

Where are you and where are you going?
plantnerd

Plantnerd's place

Post by plantnerd »

This journal is partially a way for me to keep checking in with my goals and progress, so here's the lay of the land:

Current state of affairs:
  • 35, married to another 35-year-old
  • Both working part time in a job that we like, with coworkers we like, in a field that doesn't make the world worse (sustainable landscaping)
  • Own a home that was literally the cheapest house the bank would provide a mortgage for back in 2017. Has doubled in value, and is in an area that will likely have strong growth in the next decade or two. Really, really, would like to sell and move somewhere further from the town core in the next couple years
  • Make just barely over 3x our mortgage
  • Rent out a room for roughly 1/2 of how much the mortgage costs
  • Drive a 1999 vehicle that works great aside from the a/c
Three year goals:
  • Still working the part-time awesome job, one of us going to grad school for therapy, the other 3 years into starting a niche plant nursery/market garden, and going back to teaching a physical skills class that we did pre-covid
  • Renting out two rooms to cover the cost of the mortgage, while living in an adu, and actively searching for a house on 1 or more acres, after having saved up a decent chunk for a down payment. That or making use of agricultural loans to purchase land in the 'many' acres range
  • Having time for family, friends, and community
  • Ample time for self care tasks like stretching, running, meditation, etc
10 year goals
  • Entirely self employed with multiple enjoyable low-stress income streams. (In an ideal world, niche plant nursery, niche market garden, therapy, larp running, classes like native plant identification, that aforementioned physical skills class, renting out farm space for weddings/other events, etc
  • Living on 20+ acres with a few families we know who have similar interests and land-use ethics. Not like a commune, just banding together to be able to buy land and liking each other well enough to be neighbors
  • Ample time for family, friends, and community
  • Even more ample time for self care tasks like stretching, running, meditation, etc

Those are the goals; gotta walk the dogs and then the next few posts will be working out what I need to work on to get there.

urgud

Re: Plantnerd's place

Post by urgud »

Welcome!

Sounds like a great current system and cool future plans. It's good to hear that you guys seem to be leading happy and sustainable lives in the present.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Welcome in! What's a "physical skills" class? Handstands? Acrobatics? Juggling? Dancing? Dragon squats?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Good going on the house hack! I have repeatedly made the mistake of buying the cheapest house that the bank wouldn't provide a mortgage for, and have paid the price for that hubris. :lol: I also think it's great that you are both able to work part-time, enjoyable, sustainable jobs. What are some of your favorite plant-nerd books?

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

urgud wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:31 am
Welcome!

Sounds like a great current system and cool future plans. It's good to hear that you guys seem to be leading happy and sustainable lives in the present.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm very grateful that we've gotten to this point, and I'm really excited for the next few years.
Slevin wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:47 pm
Welcome in! What's a "physical skills" class? Handstands? Acrobatics? Juggling? Dancing? Dragon squats?
Lol, along those lines, yes! It's on the circus-y end of things, and we focus on teaching beginners how to do it safely. I am not going to name the exact skill because someone could fairly easily find us then, lol.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:05 pm
Good going on the house hack! I have repeatedly made the mistake of buying the cheapest house that the bank wouldn't provide a mortgage for, and have paid the price for that hubris. :lol: I also think it's great that you are both able to work part-time, enjoyable, sustainable jobs. What are some of your favorite plant-nerd books?
I really like Carol Deppe's book about breeding your own vegetable varieties. Cass Turnbull's 'Guide to Pruning' is a book I wish I could force everyone to read before they approach pruning. Also 'The Complete Guide to Restoring Your Soil' written by Dale Strictler, which talks a lot about supporting the soil's ecosystem, which is incredibly important for plants. 'Finding the Mother Tree' by Suzanne Simard is great for an intro to mycelium, though it's a novel so it's got a lot of the fluffy human interest bits in there.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, Carol Deppe is great and highly inspirational. I'll add your other suggestions to my stack/list.

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

Oh, have you read her book, The Resilient Gardener?

I also liked Ruth Stout's book, and 'The one straw revolution', which both came to that place of supporting soil ecosystems before science had caught up with them. Reading Fukuoka at the same time as Strickland is a trip.

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

Ok, refocusing. So, I get the theory of ERE and MMM, but it's been hard to apply to my life for a bunch of reasons that I don't feel the need to go super in-depth because I don't think talking more about them here will actually help me move forward towards my goals*(see more at bottom of post).

We're coming out of a period of money being really tight because of reasons that I really don't need to get in to, but we're on the cusp of a really much better place.

Things I think we do well:
  • Make almost all food at home, from scratch (would like to make a more simple meal plan going so prep is streamlined and doesn't require so much cognitive effort)
  • Buy most things (aside from shoes, socks, and underwear) second hand, or just straight up get it for free
  • Commute is less than 15 minutes by car (unfortunately it's about 45 minutes by bike or bus, and with it being a physical labor job, that just doesn't seem like a good tradeoff.)
  • Hobbies/past times are mostly either free, cheap, or bring in something resembling monetary benefit: reading, walking, foraging, gardening, making fermented foods, that physical skill that I'm not naming so as to not dox myself, hiking, etc. I want to learn knitting, but haven't sat down to teach myself yet
  • I'm pretty well connected through various free groups, mutual aid groups, and swap groups
  • Don't have any media subscriptions, and use the library prodigiously

Things I'd like to work on:
  • We are saving nothing on a monthly basis, and that's not ok with me. We don't really have an easily accessible buffer fund, and I would like to get at least 6 months in there.
  • I want to start the native plant nursery, and/or market garden. A friend is letting us use her land (a ten minute drive from our place) but we need to put in a deer fence to make that feasible, and that would be about 1k. I have a credit card that I signed up for because of the $300 cash incentive (which I did get!), and I could put it on that, interest free until this October.
  • Find ways to reduce the cost of food even more. It's roughly $650 for the two of us for the month, though that does include household goods like tp, detergent, etc as well. It might be that high in large part to how much herbal tea we drink, so one thing I want to do this year is grow more of our own tea
  • Want to create a foraging/processing group because that sounds fun and awesome
  • Commuting during the work week by car. Even worse, job is east of where we live, so we're driving into the rising sun in the morning and into the setting sun in the afternoon. I don't like this, but I'm not sure it's wise to make changing it a priority
  • Sometimes I'm a bit impulsive with my plant hobby (like the $25 lightning orchid I bought last month...), and I want to be less impulsive. I also have a spare room that's occupied largely by plants, aquariums, books, and hang out space, and I want to seriously consider shuffling around that stuff into other rooms so that we can rent out another bedroom. Renting out two bedrooms would basically pay for our mortgage, which also gives me feelings that aren't entirely pleasant.
  • We bought our house as a super-fixer-upper, and while we've fixed up a lot, there's more to do. I think if we could redo the floors, a couple lights, the main bathroom, and repaint we could rent out two of the rooms for approximately 120% of the mortgage instead of approximately 100%. We just don't have enough to swing that right now, and saving/taking out a loan for that is in direct opposition to the native plant nursery/market garden idea.
  • Sometimes the state of the world freaks me out, and I become convinced that I need to figure out ways to secure access to things that may not be available if the global food supply chain breaks down. Like tea. And citrus. And chickens. Which leads to impulsive purchases that might not be the best planned out. I have avoided the chickens at least.
  • Sometimes we're a bit impulsive when we're feeling bad, and we buy things to make ourselves happier- ranges from eating a meal out (less than once a month) to going yurt camping at a state park for a couple days(roughly yearly). We're getting better with that, but I want to refocus on treating the underlying causes of the issues rather than slapping a bandaid on.
  • We have not been closely tracking our spending, and I've just started doing that this month
I'm conflicted about the native plant nursery and/or market garden. It is definitely the direction that I want to go with my life, I've done enough market research that I think there would be a good demand for it, I have run my own business before, and it is what I'm passionate about. On the other hand, it seems dumb to give myself 1k of debt right now when we're not even able to put anything into savings on a monthly basis. On the other other hand, it's coming out of the slow season, so we should see a roughly 20% increase in income starting in March, a $150 monthly bill is going away(loan used to buy a furnace when the old one died), and I do have a vanguard account that I threw $500 in in 2018 and it's now just over $1k.

I think the next step is to really interrogate our spending; both to see the general trends, and also in order narrow in on what is costing so much about our food so we can develop alternatives. I think that if we both are helping each other not be impulsive, I would have the money for the fence in 2 months, though there are some blueberry bushes and raspberries that I've ordered and they are coming before that. So maybe using the interest free credit card for that makes sense. I think I need to make a spread sheet.

*Suffice it to say, depression, adhd, and asd run in both of our families, but no one knew why life was such a struggle until the first person got diagnosed about 5 years ago (and I have since spent a lot of time figuring out how to work with my brain and I think I have a handle on it now). And one of my partner's parents died when we were 20 and he fell into a severe depression. And I got a master's degree in a field that turned out to be a horrible, horrible match for my brain and personality.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Welcome @plantnerd. I look forward to following along, especially the native plant nursery project(s).

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

Thank you!

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

Off topic, but- I'm doing this free online course from Yale on happiness, and one of the things they're talking about how we think about things in relation to a reference point, which is something I've encountered before, but in the context of marketing. Here though, apparently they've shown that for every $1 you increase your income, the desire for income increases by $1.40. Which really puts an interesting lens on the "one more year" folks and why so many people seem to struggle to pull the trigger and retire.

It's really interesting, and it's making me think about how there's those studies that after $70k in income, happiness doesn't increase much. Add to that how wasteful mainstream American culture is, and I wonder if people interested in ERE have a much lower point of diminishing returns. HTOH, ERE folks are probably just throwing the money into savings so they can retire sooner.

Also she's talking about how getting exercise can be as impactful as zoloft, and it just makes me think that so many of our problems as a society are because we're neglecting our physical needs as humans.

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

Things that are going on this week:
- Starting tomato, jalapeño, tomatillo, and eggplant seeds this week indoors, along with garlic chives, perilla (fucking love perilla, so tasty. Also known as shiso), basil, and celery leaf.
- Talking to my boss about going to a 4-day a week schedule, so that I have the time to get the native plant nursery going
- I caught a cold from sitting in a car with a child who didn't start coughing until we were in the car for a short trip. That was dumb. I hate being sick and I've always had a shitty immune system.
- Hopefully will being going nettle picking either today or next weekend.
- Working on a trade with a friend who is a licensed massage therapist: sourdough for massages. Gave the first loaf last week, and they said it was one of the best sourdough loaves they'd ever had.

One of the areas I'm working on is that I tend to get over excited about starting seeds, starting waaaaay more than I need to, or have space to, and then that just ends up being a bother because I don't have the space, I'm making more work for myself, and there's really no net benefit. I've sold and/or given away seedlings before, but this year I'm trying to really focus on just growing for us, and the folks that are letting us use their land. So I only started 4 varieties of tomatoes, and only 18 plants in total. Which sounds excessive! But it's so much less excessive than previous years. And tomatoes are easy to give away.

Once the month is over I'll go over finances in detail (at least to myself).

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

First weekend of a new month! I am infused with optimism, mostly because it's basically spring and I get to start foraging and gardening more.

Goals for this month:
- Track every cent of food & household goods spending so that we can identify ways to cut that bill.
- Start doing easy stretching and light physical therapy exercises ever day- the landscaping work is hard physically, and I've been slacking on the cross-training and physical self-care that I need to do
- Set up a fenced in run for the rabbits
- Get the deer fence up out at my friend's place (in preparation for the blueberry bushes that are coming in April)
- Go foraging for nettles every weekend, in different locations (and also do the standard invasive species removal at the same time)

Specific goals for this weekend:
- make two loaves of sourdough for week day lunches
- make tempeh
- Work on the garden/fence
- Pick a couple gallons of nettles
- tidy the living room
- meet up with friend to go to the place

The past week was a drag- sick with a cold over the weekend, and then cold, wet work in the least exciting aspects of my job- winter clean up and digging a foundation for a patio. Bleh.

plantnerd

Post by plantnerd »

Well, yesterday was awesome: went stinging nettle foraging, went to a plant swap, did a watch party with some friends online, started sourdough and tempeh. A very good day off :)

Spending is much reduced this month, so that's confidence building. Today I'll be foraging again with new friends, making nettle-basil pesto, and finishing the sourdough. If the weather is less wild than yesterday, I'll also be doing some work out in the garden.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Awesome! nice updates. I'm working on learning how to grow a vegetable garden. And I found your thread because I searched for "pruning". I have a lime tree that I think needs pruning. I'll post that in the Garden Log thread tho to not hijack your shiny new journal!