Hello from a Traveling Pet Sitter!

Say hello!!
BarbaraV0124

Hello from a Traveling Pet Sitter!

Post by BarbaraV0124 »

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Barbara and my husband and I are traveling pet sitters!
We both retired in our 50's and decided to spend a year in Europe. Long story short, we discovered pet sitting as a way to drastically cut expenses and be able to have the company of pets (we currently don't have pets). We trade pet sitting for accommodations so there is no money changing hands.
We have now completed 4 extensive trips throughout the States. As much as we loved Europe, road tripping for months at a time in the States has been incredible! Since we started pet sitting in 2017, it has literally changed our lives! We now have a website dedicated to our pet sitting and are planning our next adventure!
We travel 3-6 months a year and when we're not traveling, we love spending time at our home in Asheville NC.

I'm hoping to connect with other travelers, looking for different ways to travel. Hopefully I can bring some value to these forums while learning new things myself.

Jin+Guice

Re: Hello from a Traveling Pet Sitter!

Post by Jin+Guice »

Hey Barbara, welcome to the forum! I've considered pet sitting myself and look forward to hearing about your adventures!

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I have done one sit and I think unemployable has had a lot of experience.

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

Welcome Barbara!

I did my first house/pet sit last year with my wife and baby boy; it was an experience. Like J+G, I'm also interested to learn more about your "tricks and tips" on picking the right places / warning signs for house sitting. Speaking with complete transparency, I did not enjoy picking up (sorry) massive dog turds while making super elaborate dog food on a daily basis (clearly we did not do a great job of picking / I learned a lot!! Lol). Being in Hawaii, though, was pretty alright ;)

Curious to learn from you about pet-sitting and other alternative housing situations either in a forum thread or journal post.

Good to have you!

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:00 am
I think unemployable has had a lot of experience.
I do, not that this thread is about me.

Did

Post by Did »

Hello and welcome. I look forward to reading about your adventures and perspective.

My wife and I did around 25 house sits, mainly around Ireland and one in France. We enjoyed it a lot but there was some fatigue in looking after pets and places by the end. Fortunately or unfortunately since then we have returned to our home and got our own dog, which really really curtails our ability to adventure in the way we did. When I find a sucker to look after him externally my next plan is to look into house swaps. Longer term it helps to have money coming in, which we are still working on, so our sitting/swapping is on hold while we cash up some more.

BarbaraV0124

Post by BarbaraV0124 »

Thank you all for your replies. I have started a blog on our website (sitstaytrips.com). It's new but provides information on how to start pet sitting, how to choose the right pet sit for you and so on.
And of course, I am available here on the forum for any questions you might have.
I'm really happy to connect with other retirees here!

Did

Post by Did »

Cool site. Good idea. We had loads of positive reviews - 24 maybe? But because we didn't renew with TrustedHouseSitters they are gone now.

"Full disclosure of active security devices (cameras, etc) in your home." - We had a camera in one sit. Host disclosed it as they were leaving and there was a very tense discussion about it. Who wants to live with with a camera monitoring their every move??

"ull disclosure of any issues with pets. Examples would be: not house trained, separation anxiety." - Yes, like shitting everywhere every 5 seconds!!!

We had one dragon who wasn't quite right in the head. She was dismayed we were a few hours late even though we had travelled for days on a ferry and driven across half of france - they weren't going till the next day. I think off the back of that she said we were unreliable, even though the 5 week pet sit looking after a pack of lamas and many many chickens along with snappy dogs went off otherwise withhout a hitch. A negative review stings..... we responded to their review making out, rightly, that they were elderly and a bit out of it. We didn't leave our own review as it would have invited their own response.

Hope eventually to move to house swapping to even the relationship up a bit, and to avoid the pet part.

We had another owner dislcose at the last minute we couldn't leave their elderly dog for more than an hour, and that her mother would visit without notice at any time!!! I mean you don't travel all that way to stare at a dog do you. funny thing was there was a knock at the door and even the local priest was having a snoop. That's rural Ireland for you!!