Make Stuff Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
candide

Re: Make Stuff Log

Post by candide »

Sclass wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:42 am
I have boxes and boxes of negatives. I wonder if I really even need to do this. Maybe I should just grit my teeth and throw it all in a dumpster.
I would argue for a few representative photos from each time frame of his life. Once you get over five, the amount just starts to seem like "a lot" to anyone looking (I mean any time frame or key event).

Unless any photo "sparks joy" for you, I would say 200 or so should be plenty. Just one guys opinion -- granted, one who did this as the executor of a family member's estate.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Thanks for the tip. I selected and scanned only what I cared to save.

I scanned about 1000 images. It actually went pretty fast. Pop the slide in and hit the shutter button. Pop it out and toss it in the trash. The slide scanner was extremely effective and efficient. The iPhone made it very convenient to edit, store and share photos. Not bad for a free scanner. I was worried I’d have to purchase some device.

I used a three in one copier, scanner and printer combo to do the print scanning. It was a 2014 Canon 3 in 1 sitting in the junk pile. Dry ink but the scanner works great.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I made a rolltop framebag. No zippers to blow out.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Very cool @AH. It looks good on Blue Bessy. Does it rub your right leg at all? This is always a problem with frame packs IMO. It is easy to overfill them and then you end up with annoying chaffing even if only occasionally touching the bag throughout the day.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

TBD. I sewed attachment points inside the frame so I can internally cinch it if rubbing is an issue. Will report back in 1.5months! :lol:

mir

Post by mir »

The frame bag looks cool! Isn't the black thing in the middle a zipper? Does the top just roll over? What type of rope did you use to attach the bag to the frame. I am making a frame bag but my frame space is too small. I used a number 10 zipper and the slider and zipper are so heavy.

@MountainFrugal I was researching what is an appropriate maximum width yesterday. It seems between 1.5" and 2.5" is fine. Vertical or horizontal removable velcro dividers could be implemented to prevent the bag from bulging. Another idea is to use varying width, thinner at the top tube - seat tube junction and wider at the cranks and head tube.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

No, black thing in middle is just webbing sewn across for strength and a secure attachment point for the straps that secure over the rolltop. The 'rope' is 1/8" shock cord. Paracord would work almost as well.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@mir I think it can be managed for sure. Most of my experience is with trail bikes on single track or very bad forest service roads so it might be a consequence of that style of riding rather than the bags themselves. Post pictures of your frame bag when you are done and let us know any good solutions you find once you spend time with it on the bike!