European ERE meetup

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Jean

Re: European ERE meetup

Post by Jean »

For my defense, It takes probably more hours to get a hunting license in switzerland than a flying license in alaska.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

You guys give me too much credit. @Jean is also a consultant who solves complex problems. i am not.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Jean wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:07 pm
For my defense, It takes probably more hours to get a hunting license in switzerland than a flying license in alaska.
LOL, so true also in Italy (plus we have the terrible bureaucracy).

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Hmm I should probably start applying for jobs in Switzerland then if I want to do a working stint there in 2030s (this is my other idea instead of teaching remote Scottish islander children - see current exchange in my journal).

Hey @Seppia now that you’re moving to Benelux you might want to see how the meet-up fits?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Yes I will 100% look into it if the new job allows.
I’ll start at the new company in May, probably moving to NL sometime around June, with the family joining in July.
I will have to see what I need to plan when I start, but if I can I’ll be there for sure.
Compared to what you are planning, mine would be a much more wasteful/less ERE fly in-fly back thing but hey I’d still be happy to be there.

Since I have no real visibility of course do not hold a spot for me if others apply

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Jean wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:41 pm
I have the secret hope that the opportunity to meet me will draw people to the meetup :D
Highly recommend meeting @Jean! He's a fantastic person to spend some time with! Interesting, brilliant, and kind.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Anyone interested in building furniture before or during the European ERE meetup? Think simple diy friendly designs like Enzo Mari's Autoprogettazione.

Two examples:

If interested, please let me know well in advance. I would like to be well-prepared:
- I want to make sure there is at least one person with a feel for the process. If that person would have to be me, I'd want to at the very least take some time and build a piece ahead of the meetup.
- The tools. I have some available, but might need to source more from local friends.
- Sourcing dry wood takes time, even in a place surrounded by wood mills. Readily available dry wood is actually quite rare here. Locals get their wood wet from the sawmill and air dry it themselves in their sheds or attics. It's cheaper that way. Wood destined for abroad is kiln dried and immediately shipped off.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

loutfard wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm
Anyone interested in building furniture before or during the European ERE meetup?
I actually think this is possible! (especially if you have a chopsaw) The hard part would probably to get the furniture home again.

My mother and DW built this set of outdoor armchairs(*) over a couple of days (handtools) when my parents were visiting. I tried to stay out of it as much as possible because I wanted them to get an idea of exactly how easy/hard it is to make something functional in terms of technical skills and effort.

(*) In case anyone gets inspired to make a set, keep in mind that each chair ends up weighing nearly 40 pounds!!

During the process DW managed to jab her thumb with a screwdriver (apparently the mark is still there although I can't see it). Otherwise, all I did was to saw the angled cuts and step in for 5 minutes during the assembly job to square things up before the glue set.

The wood here is all 2x4 and 2x2 SPH (spruce/pine/hemlock) construction/framing lumber. There must be something similar in Europe.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

jacob wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 pm
I actually think this is possible! (especially if you have a chopsaw) The hard part would probably to get the furniture home again.
Ha! In case this wasn't clear, I was hoping for an arrangement where I'd supply materials, tools and lodging, and the rather bulky end product stayed around. As a bed for one of the guest for example...
The wood here is all 2x4 and 2x2 SPH (spruce/pine/hemlock) construction/framing lumber. There must be something similar in Europe.
Oh, something like that is available, just overpriced, 40km away, delivery either expensive or not possible, shitty quality, limited assortment in terms of dimensions.

The alternative is local, good quality, much cheaper, with a much wider choice, and delivered at almost zero cost. I could even have the local sawmill cut and saw one of the trees on our land if I wanted to.

The ERE aligned trick is ordering well ahead.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Like mentioned to you earler @loutfard, I am happy to help. Had not built a bed but worked with wood every now and then. Eg

* trimmed my bedroom doors with circular saw
* built wooden storage boxes from wood scraps (no dovetails)
* built an EU palettes sort of bench
* adapted a window to work as a shed entrance door
* various odd wood related jobs

You get the idea. I think I am average dexterous with these sorts of things but think good enough to be a helper.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

guitarplayer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 am
Like mentioned to you earler @loutfard, I am happy to help.
Thank you, much appreciated! I already had my wife's buyin. Now I have your promise of helping hands. Next steps: compiling the wood order list, and collecting tools.
* trimmed my bedroom doors with circular saw
* built wooden storage boxes from wood scraps (no dovetails)
* built an EU palettes sort of bench
* adapted a window to work as a shed entrance door
* various odd wood related jobs
My recent experience building with wood has been fairly limited. I built the structural ring box beam for the floors and the stairs at our summer house. I hand't touched wood in ages before that.

Another project I feel I'll probably lack time to finish by the meetup. I'd love to build a microwave vacuum dryer. Similar to freeze drying, but simpler technology. Great for quickly and efficiently drying food for longer term storage. That might allow my guests to take some dried edible memories with them.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I have some experience woodworking, i'de be happy to participate.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Jean wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:35 pm
I have some experience woodworking, i'de be happy to participate.
Thank you! Noted.

Jean

Post by Jean »

i will walk from Liepaja to your place. I''ll arrive in Liepaja with the ferry from Travemünde around the 10 august. Anyome want to join me?

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

I'd love to join you for part of the walk, but that would mean moving other things out of the way. Very hard to move things...

J_

Post by J_ »

I have some woodwork experience too. What funiture do you want to create?

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

J_ wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:53 pm
I have some woodwork experience too. What funiture do you want to create?
One or more extra beds for you people to sleep on wouldn't be bad :-) Only half kidding. We have plenty of indoor space, but not a lot of furniture yet.

The second hand stuff here is overpriced. The new stuff is either bad quality or ikea. I'd much rather build stuff myself. I'll see how far I get before helping hands arrive and make sure you have a comfortable night's sleep .

bos

Post by bos »

I have some woodworking experience, mainly working with hand-tools.
loutfard wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm
We have plenty of indoor space, but not a lot of furniture yet.
If necessary I can bring a sleeping bag/mat. I'll most likely take a bus or plane from northern Germany to Riga and then figure out how to get there. Maybe camping along the way, but prefer to pack light and stay in rooms. I remember 3 years ago in Lithuania that people where renting out rooms very affordable. Is that similar in Latvia?

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

bos wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 am
If necessary I can bring a sleeping bag/mat.
I'll make sure you have at least a proper mattress.
I'll most likely take a bus or plane from northern Germany to Riga and then figure out how to get there. Maybe camping along the way, but prefer to pack light and stay in rooms.
Just making sure you haven't missed the ferry recommendation. Especially from northern Germany, the Travemünde-Liepāja ferry is highly recommended. So much more relaxed than bus or plane. Surprisingly affordabe, especially on foot. Decent bus link from Liepāja too. Do plan a stop when passing through Kuldīga. The old city has been declared a Unesco world heritage site for a reason.
I remember 3 years ago in Lithuania that people where renting out rooms very affordable. Is that similar in Latvia?
That should work. Prices have gone up considerably, but are still a fraction of the western EU ones.