Trilemmas

Move along, nothing to see here!
7Wannabe5

Re: Trilemmas

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

All of these could also be more or less manifested in terms of psychology or perspective. For instance, most humans who are dysfunctionally agreeable are likely to be obeying commands that are only being given in their own mind. It's perfectly possible to experience a high degree of freedom simultaneous with being fairly agreeable by only giving attention to literal commands (which are generally much more rare) given by other(s.) I mean, even if you are locked down during a plague with an ESTJ (the supervisor), they're only likely to do something like tell you how to better load the dishwasher maybe 3x/day, and it's easy to encourage them to just go away/back to whatever shooter game they are playing in the other room.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

firepower, armor, mobility

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

High quality of sleep: Infant, Mother, Father

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@ theanimal:

lol. So true. Because my-husband-at-the-time was the one who had to get up for work in the morning, I would often find myself sleeping on our not very comfortable, fairly narrow sofa with a baby balanced on top of me. Up to about age 6 or 7 children who come to your bed because "bad dreams" and then kick out their legs throughout the night or cause you to wake up fully in order to tuck them back into their beds are also a problem. The shared afternoon nap after the walk to the park is the best! Actually, I think I would vote every variety of shared or solo afternoon naps as one of top 5 reasons to avoid or transcend traditional 9-5 away from home.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

"democracy, national sovereignty, and global integration are mutually incompatible: we can combine any two of the three, but never have all three simultaneously and in full" -Dani Rodrick by way of Rana Foroohar "Homecoming: The Path to Prosperity in a Post-Global World."

" We are leaving the era of the "Rational Man" and entering a new era, one of a more human-centered, place-based economics. The focus will be on local rather than global, Main Street rather than Wall Street, stakeholders rather than shareholders, and small rather than big."

ebast

Post by ebast »

The Learning Diamond: 'Play Fast', 'Play Perfectly', 'Play the Entire Example'

"...the other three corners of the square are interchangeable. That is to say, if you want to do any two of them, you have to sacrifice one of them. For example, if you are going to play the entire example perfectly and effortlessly, then you must sacrifice tempo... If you want to play the exercise perfectly and very fast, and of course effortlessly, then you have to sacrifice the amount of it you play."
- Kenny Werner, "Effortless Mastery." 1996.

(Yes, the author picks a four-vertex shape to represent a trilemma, maybe a conditional trilemma, but amidst what's a master class/memoir for performers that frequently veers toward Hindu metaphysics, it kinda makes sense at the time.)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

communication: (short, simple, complete)

daylen

Post by daylen »

communication: (short, malleable, applicable)

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Valuation triangle: growth, risk, reinvestment.

Growth/Risk trade-off: To grow revenues faster, you usually have to take more operating risk or expand into riskier geographies

Growth/Reinvestment Trade-off: To grow faster, you have to reinvest more, making cash flows more negative & increasing need for capital

Growth/Margin trade-off: To grow revenues faster, you usually have to lower prices and settle for lower margins

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Talking about charged topics:

Simple
Accurate
Well received
(Pick two)

From the book Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »