Anticonsumerist's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
anticonsumerist

Re: Anticonsumerist's Journal

Post by anticonsumerist »

okumurahata wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:14 am
Now, you would have a ~167 NW/LTM spending ratio in that emerging city. You mentioned you would retire if you reached ~50 NW/LTM. You’ve tripled that. When is “enough” truly enough? Do you believe that hitting your next target would finally be sufficient?
Thanks for commenting in my journal @okumurahata!

I see how that sounds, if i had trusted that the developing country I was born in, and that city in that developing country I was living in would be an ok place to live until I die, I would have retired now. The entire reason I made the move to relocate to London is that unfortunately, the economic and social developments there made me (and many others) anxious and a lot of well-educated people moved abroad from that country in the past 5 years or so.

If it was a trustable option to retire now to go back to that country&city and live until I die, I'd do it.

However, doing that now, and discovering that 10 years down the road that that place became unlive-able (due to economic collapse deepening, state institutions and healthcare facilities completely failing, etc) and at that point not having a plan-B would be very bad. So I am in London a few more years until I secure the passport, at the least.
And, in case I need to come back here after retirement in the above scenario, I'd need to have the stash large enough to support a retirement with "UK-level" expense structure (not a developing country level expense structure).

Hope I am making some sense? :)

anticonsumerist

Re: Anticonsumerist's Journal

Post by anticonsumerist »

Short Jan 2024 Update

January expenses, GBP:
Housing -1262
Eating Out -639
Utilities -347
Therapy -270
Personal Care -147
Travel -119
Shopping -109
Entertainment -84
General -48
Gifts -10
Grand Total GBP -3035

This month’s numbers are lower than normal, due to some airbnb income ofsetting the “housing” expenses partially.

This brings LTM spending down to 56.5k GBP (70k USD) from 57k GBP last month (71k USD).

Net worth increased by about 4% as a result of Markets continuing to increase in Jan. With the decrease in the LTM spend, I had an increase in my Net Worth / LTM spending number from 32x to 33x.

Psychologically London winter continues to be a drag, but slightly better now as days are getting tiny bit longer.

In addition to therapy, I started psychiatric medication. I am hoping to feel better, as low mood and anxiety is really difficult to live with.

Hope everyone reading this is keeping well.