Unresponsive Bread Machine

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
ertyu

Unresponsive Bread Machine

Post by ertyu »

I was given a bread machine which produced one loaf of bread. It is now unresponsive. It stayed unplugged on the kitchen table since the last time I used it, so probably no power surge. Bread basket secured well (took in and out a couple of times), power cord ok on visual inspection, lid closed, ingredients in. Touch buttons rather than actual buttons or dials. No burnt electronics smell from machine, either before or now. Any ideas how I can reboot it or what the problem could be? Do touch-button applianced like that have some sort of child lock im too dumb for? Thanks

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Unresponsive Bread Machine

Post by jacob »

Brand/model-number?

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

https://www.chinahao.com/Product/558835 ... st_machine

Made in china for the domestic market, exported around SEA.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I presume it's dead-dead as in the display doesn't even come on, no LEDs light up, no sounds from the machine when plugging it in?

Potential problems to check:
  • Does the outlet that it's plugged into actually work? (You never know...)
  • Is the fuse blown? It should be accessible from the outside right next to the power cord. There would likely be a screwable plastic cap covering a cylindrical fuse.
  • Display life-signs might be contingent on whether the [safety] switch in the lid register the lid as closed. It should be there somewhere in order to prevent the bread machine from running with an open or half-closed lid. Any way to check that?
Worst case, the controller circuit/display is blown. This is a hard problem. Seems unlikely that this should happen after just one single bake.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Yes I’d say look for a fuse also check the thermal fuse. Google to see what it looks like.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Thank you both for the advice. Yes, it is dead-dead. No signs of life at all, though as far as I remember there never was a light that comes on or a sound that plays when the machine is plugged in. Just the lcd display lights up when pressing the on button.

No fuse immediately apparent. Removing the legs result in this: no screw underneath. Also for funsies, knife can be stuck between bottom metal plate and upper brown metal part of the machine, though moving it around and making levering motions doesn't result in clicks/unlocking

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

The fuses are likely internal. One will be on the board and the thermal fuse will be affixed to the chassis near the bread pan.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

ertyu wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 pm
Also for funsies, knife can be stuck between bottom metal plate and upper brown metal part of the machine, though moving it around and making levering motions doesn't result in clicks/unlocking
If there are no snap-in locks all the way around on the bottom, the top/cover is likely mounted onto the bottom from above. So start from the top. You will probably need some loooong screw drivers.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I am still going with @jacob's first question. Did you check the outlet with a different appliance. I believe Germany requires GFCI outlets if they are in rooms with water. Those outlets cause a lot of problems here, so whenever anyone has any sort of electrical problem, that's where I look first.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

That sounds sensible. That would explain why it just stopped on the first loaf. The heating element draws a lot of power. The surge when cold may be high and these things just turn on and off to control temperature. I’m not knowledgeable on them but I think the resistance of the heater coil gets a lot higher when it gets hot. Starting from cold multiple times may be enough to trip a gfi.

Bread machines are usually pretty bulletproof. At least the few I’ve owned.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I didn't write about it but it was one of the first things I tried. I tried the outlet that worked last time I used the machine, I tried outlets that other, currently working appliances were plugged in (e.g. unplugged currently working fridge), and finally moved the bread machine to the living room to try it on what i think is a different circuit that doesn't have anything else currently plugged in.

I wish I could open the darn thing. Even if the fuses etc. are ok, I'd still enjoy inspecting what's inside. It's very frustrating that appliances are made more and more difficult to open yourself. I did see a repair video of a machine of a slightly different type and there are these long spokes reaching up - but the video edited out the machine opening process to get to the actual repair. I continue searching. Right now I'm watching any and all "bread machine repair" videos in the hopes that some knowledge will generalize.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Sounds frustrating, do you mind if I shift away from the diy repair aspect of your question?

If “no,” disregard. If “yes,” read on to my questions as I have personally had good success with self-advocacy. If you have already unsuccessfully pursued this approach, please disregard.

Was this a brand new gift, something that someone got and did not need, or a problematic bread machine that changed ownership? Would it be possible to return to the store where purchased? Would it be possible to contact the company directly, explain the issue (after mentioning any positive past experiences with the brand, appreciating the one loaf of bread produced, and desire to continue using their bread machine)/your disappointment, and request a resolution? (Note that I view this as initiating a dialogue so I am prepared for some back and forth. Sometimes it is more adversarial, but often they just need some more information and are happy to help.)