Cable management - Science or art?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Cable management - Science or art?

Post by jacob »

My adventures in cable management always end up looking like a disaster. My process is one of accretion. Starting with a random connection and just pilling new connections on top. Twice in my life I've put in some effort: My [computer] desk and the router/modem/media station in the living room. Both took an entire morning due to all the undoing and redoing. It seems to me that it should not take that long to run a dozen cables.

Since there is likely a bunch of computer builders around here ... do you have a method for "making it look nice" that's better than my trial&error method? Start from the bottom? Likes-with-likes? Color-coding?

I suppose this is asking for a specialized version of "how to organize".

I want it to look more like this:

And less like this:

ffj

Re: Cable management - Science or art?

Post by ffj »

The above example has a grid which allows cable ties to be placed anywhere needed. Not sure about your cardboard example. And BUNDLING, assuming there isn't any impedance by doing so. Tie your runs together.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Search 'spool savers' or 'spool huggers' on amazon.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Cable management is length management. In this case, you can customize your lengths, so it's easy.

The second example can be most easily like your first example by connecting only one end of each wire. Then lay out routes for your wires. Bundle at the corners of your route.

Trim each wire as you know what it's length should be, and terminate. Then dress up the wires to make slack in route even.

You can use tie wraps, or velcro staps, or just bits of wire to secure your cables.

Choose different routes to separate signal wiring from anything that could cause you crosstalk problems.

Then stand back, and admire the beauty of your work.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I feel like there should be a computer program or app about this, to give you one or a couple of good options for the layout of your components and cables...

But since I'm not the computer nerd in my household, I don't know where to find such a program or app...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It's basically the same concept as this:

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Embroidery also comes to mind.

But I think that it's harder than braids because for the wires some wires should *not* go with other wires to prevent them influencing each other (crosstalk). You don't generally get that with hair.

And it seems that in Jacob's case, he could also move some components around in the box which could make the wiring easier and more elegant. So any cable management program would also need to know which recipients of cables (outlets?) are together on which board or component, and which components are allowed to move around in the lay-out.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The key take-away seems to be that cabling and routing (and length) needs to be an integrated part of the design and not just something that's slapped on top after the fact.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@DutchGirl:

Yes, but with braiding you have the problem that you are working on a rough portion of a sphere. Some of the tactics/practices might transfer. For instance, French braid vs. standard plait, extensions or beads, and choice of fastener. If we are experienced in hair-braiding, we might notice that cables for electronic projects would braid more readily if they were coated with a rougher texture. If we are experienced in sewing or embroidery, we might imagine Jacob's cardboard base as being like cloth secured in a hoop, and notice that piercing holes that would allow for passing the wires underneath the cardboard would be another possibility towards neatening the layout.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

What, specifically is the problem here? Or are you actually trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist?

In the case of a server room with hundreds of servers and thousands of cat5 and fibre cables, good cable management makes sense. For smaller projects, personally I find it typically unnecessary.

My only personal issue was in my big box of cables. Searching for a random 2m cat5e cable and spending 30 minutes untangling the web got frustrating. I ended up simply wrapping each cable by itself:
- Small cables went into a few different tubs.
- Medium length cables went inside their own toilet tube.
- Larger cables wrapped in a figure-of-8 wrap, wrap last 50cm across the middle, two loops through the holes to lock it then.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Have you considered peg board to neatly grid your components and route wires underneath? For your example I'd place the white item in the center and have the two wire items on the left and the multiwire items on the right.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

@jacob :lol: that first image looked familiar. I built that board in grad school. Not a good example because it is 100% built on a breadboard with through hole components. It naturally lays out on a breadboard. You can pick up some ideas like twisting signal wires (in different colors) together but really your design in the second photo is a different animal. I think I posted that to show how you can use precut jumpers to cleanup a breadboard. It makes it easier to transition to a PCB because it kind of looks like the PCB. Clean wiring facilitates debugging.

What you need to look at is this. Scattered modules with various connections. Plugs mounted through a front panel. Modules strapped down to a chassis and interconnects. Color coded wires for signals. All high speed connections twisted up for signal integrity. Zip ties every inch (don’t be stingy) and power on the red black zip line.

Yes that was kind of art and science. This is my CNC box. I built this decades ago. I had access to the HP Labs stockroom back then. I guess I didn’t feel bad about using their zip ties and wire like water. :lol:

What I don’t show is what comes first. No wires. Lay out all te components first. Then wire point to point with perfect lengths. I trimmed the wires several times to get the runs to obtain perfect length. Also I used zip ties as temporary place holders. I likely used 4x the number of zip ties than what you see. There is a pile of clipped ones on the floor along with lots of wasted wire. I likely used 2x the wire you see here. I start at a connector and run a long run (2x the expected length) of wire bundling and twisting and fitting it one Inch at a time. And I work my way across to the destinations splitting branches and combining tributaries as I go while zipping every Inch. This way you clear up all the unwanted slack as you work your way across the instrument. You keep clipping the ends back till you get nice matching lengths routed exactly the way you want.

The art is the bending, twisting and bundling. The science is when you twist, when you isolate and what you bundle with what. It’s your design so you’ll know what wire can and can’t run parallel with one another.

It takes some practice to do this well. Tear things apart and look at how they’re harnessed. Then try some baby steps. Start at one of your switches and work your way across while joining the bundles tightly behind you.

This design started out with bolting down all the modules and mounting all the connectors in logical places. It took a few hours to get the wiring in as I wanted it. A testament to its proper construction is I used the CNC today and the electricals work flawlessly just like they did in 2000. The machine survived a tear down and reassembly when I moved from Silicon Valley to Irvine. It just plugged together and it worked without a hiccup.

This is not easy. I built a lot of garbage hardware before I made bankable product.

@dutchgirl there are softwares for doing this. Zuken is currently a good tool. Ten years ago I used Altium and CablEquity which had fewer features but are cheaper. These tools start with a wiring diagram and finish with predicted lengths of conductors, net lists, BOMs, nail board drawings for assembly and testing. Still I start with a prototype then I document the harnesses after I build them.

Nail board. Work harder work faster.

Hats off to Riggerjack for basically saying the same thing in ten lines.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Nice. Thanks!