New Escapologist (Kickstarter)

Your favorite books and links
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

New Escapologist (Kickstarter)

Post by jacob »

I got a gig as a columnist for New Escapologist, which is starting up again after a 5 year break. As some of you [old-timers] remember, NE was a long-running magazine edited by Robert Wringham. The closest comparison to NE would be another Brit, namely, Tom Hodgkinson's "The Idler"-series in that you get a fancy physical magazine (electronic version also available). You can secure a few copies on the kickstarter. Presumably there will be other options as well. I'm currently working on the second article. My first article was a 600 word piece on freedom written in typical "jacob"-style.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ne ... t/volume-2
Kickstarter wrote: We do not dwell on short-term or commercial escapes like television or beach holidays: we're far more interested in well-planned, longer-term escapes from the worker-consumer treadmill into lives of imaginative creativity.

We study things like small business, cottage industry, and becoming an artist or craftsperson. We interview successful and prominent escapees to see how they did it and what they're up to now. We review books, art, culture, and ideas on the theme of escape. We offer a sense of community to successful and budding escape artists through our our letters pages and our new "Workplace Woes" section. We do all of this with a sense of wit, artfulness, and fun.

For the first time in our history, we have a team of columnists writing for each issue. We have Tom Hodgkinson of the Idler magazine, David Cain of Raptitude, McKinley Valentine of The Whippet, Jacob Lund Fisker of Early Retirement Extreme, Leo Babauta of Zen Habits, Apala Chowdhury formerly of the Guardian, and we introduce Henry Gibbs who lives free of modern technology, writing his notes to us by hand and by candlelight from his quiet "Penrose Cottage." There will also be feature essays from our editor, Robert Wringham, plus loads and loads more. Issue 14, for example, features New York Times bestselling author Caitlin Doughty while Issue 15 will have Analog Sea visionary Jonathan Simons.

guitarplayer

Re: New Escapologist (Kickstarter)

Post by guitarplayer »

I have not much more to say than thank you for your continuous engagement @jacob!

I see Robert Wringham is / was Glasgow based. Gimme a shout if you happen to ever be around :)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What fun! I read Wringham's "Escape Everything" several years ago and found it quite engaging.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Nice! Looking forward to this.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I also read Wringham's book and the entire New Escapologist magazine series. Really looking forward to reading more issues!

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Cool project. It seems like this funding model is a good one (pre-subscribe) to get the content flowing again beyond a one off single issue.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Volume 14 dropped this week. Good stuff!

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

mathiverse wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:39 pm
Volume 14 dropped this week. Good stuff!
Bring it to EREfest?

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Ah, that's a great idea. However, unfortunately I only bought online access.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I queried and turns out old volumes are available at a bookstore near the Glasgow School of Art - this one might be there soon, too.

I might make a trip to my local bookstore sometime!

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I've got the print version coming straight to the Ft. Dirtbag Library. :geek: