Tool and Miscellaneous Hardware Organization

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Tool and Miscellaneous Hardware Organization

Post by Ego »

It took me fifteen minutes to find a particular pair of pliers the other day. Yesterday I was looking for a #10 wrench (I have three) but none where in the correct #10 sleeve in my wrench roll because one was in the car, another in the Vespa and the third just disappeared.

I searched the forum for "Organize" and "Tools" for solutions. Apparently, I am in good company.
sky wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:56 pm
I need to reorganize my tools.
sky wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:46 pm
Garage: organize tools
sky wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 pm
A time to organize your tools, throw away unneeded materials, clean up your shop, sweep the floor, and prepare for the next thing.
sky wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:11 am
... organize my tools, etc.
Right now, there are four places in the building where various tools tend to accumulate. I would like to get them all together in the shop.

How do you organize your tools so that they are easy to find, do not take up too much space and are portable? Hand tools? Power tools? Fasteners?

Buckets? Bins? Rolling toolbox? Large fixed boxes? Pegboard display?

I am grateful for any and all motivation. I bet @Sky will be as well. Photos are encouraged.

7Wannabe5

Re: Tool and Miscellaneous Hardware Organization

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

The same way I organize just about everything. Minimalist, modular by task, mostly in used backpacks or totes. So, for instance, electrical tape goes with "electrical" in the electrical tote, not with "tape" for the same reason that diamond earrings go in my "fancy" bag, rather than in "earrings" section of a jewelry box, and rice noodles go with Asian in my pantry, not with the spaghetti. General purpose stuff like duct tape, scissors, black hair elastics, and black pepper stay "up front", and are sometimes replicated in multiple "kits" or in their own smaller receptacles which I always carry.

This works for my personality type/lifestyle, because I strive towards the freedom of being able to get back down to everything fitting in my Smart car with short notice, and the fulfillment of my desire to pick up and discard all sorts of activities, and fairly easy ability to find a good home for "tools" in my social circle and then reacquire as needed inexpensively. For instance, since I currently don't own a garden, almost all of my gardening tools are currently redistributed. I'm going to the beach this week, and I'm not taking my "grad school" bag or my "fancy" bag, for the same reason I wouldn't grab my "painting" tote or my "electrical" tote if I was planning on installing a new toilet in one of my former lives. etc. etc.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Not well ... OTOH, while I might not be able to find a particular part (where's the duct tape now?!$@%@), I know where all the tools are.

I have three places where I work:
Electronics and fine assembly on a desk in my room.
Large assembly in the living room. (It's the only place in the house that has a flat floor.)
Wood and metal working in the basement.

As a result, I constantly find myself hauling tools and supplies between all three floors. Obviously, this is the worst design ever for anyone on the clock or anyone doing serial production. Workshops are often designed for minimal movement from one work station to the next. Mine is the opposite. This way I do a lot of stairs and walking. I'll easily walk 5-10k on a productive day despite never leaving the house. Homeotelic goals?

I know some relegate all this to their garage. However, if I had to walk out to the garage in order to start or continue any project, I'd never get anything done. One nice thing about my approach is how the multiple simultaneous projects are easy to pick up and leave again. In some sense, this is just the tool equivalent of the "chaotic professor's desk". I work in bursts of inspiration. Never in fixed-time blocks like some other forumites.

I try to "keep likes with likes". One problem of covering a wide range of projects between electronics/mechanical/wood is that a given tool may work in all three departments. I've chosen to avoid having a set of "wood working screwdrivers", another set of "mechanical screwdrivers", and third set of "electronics screwdrivers". As such all screwdrivers tend to hang out in the same place and so on. This explains all the walking.

The other rule is "a place for everything and everything in its place". This means that if any given tool is in use, it's next to a project. If it's not, there's only one place where it should be. This makes it hard to lose/misplace anything.

Parts are kept on shelves or in bankers boxes named "plumbing", "electric", "drywall/painting", etc. (The stuff that gets lost is usually what could be associated with more than one box.)

Note that this strategy may result in your home looking like a construction zone. Various projects in progress scattered all over the place. I sometimes feel like an ant moving parts around, combining them, moving them elsewhere, repeat.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

To generalize:

You can either organize by function or purpose.

It makes more sense to organize by whichever of those have fewer numbers.

For example, if you only have the purpose of doing electrical work and plumbing work, the optimal choice would be to have one toolbox for electrical problems and other toolbox for plumbing problems.

However, once the number of purposes expand doing many different kinds of jobs, the optimal choice is to arrange the tools by function to avoid duplication. In that situation, you'd put together a unique "tool set" for each application.

sky

Post by sky »

I have more tools than space in my toolboxes. My tools cover the entire surface of my tool table. I have multiple toolboxes, some with duplicate tools, some with specialty tools, some with broken tools, generally mixed together. Some of my specialty tools are mixed in with leftover materials which the tools are used for.

My collection of highly valuable hardware and various bits of wood, plastic, rubber and metal exceeds the space in my storage bins. My storage bins exceed the storage capacity of my shelving units. I have stacked the bins to the point of impending avalanche.

I have made progress in the past months, making room in the garage/workshop by selling off bulky stuff in a garage sale. I am trying not to start any new projects to try to maintain enough flat table surface to do general maintenance work on.

I best serve this thread and request for information as an example of what not to do.

Ego

Post by Ego »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:49 pm
The same way I organize just about everything. Minimalist, modular by task, mostly in used backpacks or totes.
This is what I have been using up to now, and it has worked. The trouble is, today the tools can, and frequently do, migrate from the totes in the basement to the workshop, the mafia room, the office, our apartment, or two of the storage rooms.
jacob wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:36 pm
I have three places where I work:

As a result, I constantly find myself hauling tools and supplies between all three floors.
This is the problem. I have ended up with a small, inadequate tool kit in each of the places and the bulk of the tools in the bin. Whenever I am in the middle of a job and need the hacksaw, I will run down (or elevator) and get it, and then it will end up in one of the smaller kits.
jacob wrote:
However, if I had to walk out to the garage in order to start or continue any project, I'd never get anything done. One nice thing about my approach is how the multiple simultaneous projects are easy to pick up and leave again. In some sense, this is just the tool equivalent of the "chaotic professor's desk". I work in bursts of inspiration. Never in fixed-time blocks like some other forumites.
Exactly this. I get stuck on a project, leave it on my desk, in the workshop, or in the mafia room, and then come back to it when I have figured out a solution. It can get very messy.
jacob wrote:
The other rule is "a place for everything and everything in its place". This means that if any given tool is in use, it's next to a project. If it's not, there's only one place where it should be. This makes it hard to lose/misplace anything.
This is my goal. I was wondering if I would be more successful at keeping things in their place if I were to bring all the tools to the site of the work using a modular rolling case like a Milwaukee Packout. I see them all the time at the swap meet. It would be easy to roll the tools around as the elevator comes directly to the basement. It would also be more efficient if/when we leave in the future. An added bonus, it can be locked to keep the hands of various maintenance people out of my stuff.
sky wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:33 pm
I best serve this thread and request for information as an example of what not to do.
Actually, you made me realize that I am not alone. Jacob's post as well. I am now wondering if the people with the perfect tool setup just never really use them all that much for actual work. They just like to organize them like any other collection.

Here is my workshop with tools strewn about....

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Ego wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:01 am
Actually, you made me realize that I am not alone. Jacob's post as well. I am now wondering if the people with the perfect tool setup just never really use them all that much for actual work. They just like to organize them like any other collection.
Just like chefs eat TV dinner at home, the personal computer of a programmer is 10 years old, auto mechanics drive junkers, ... why work on your workshop when you can work in your shop (or as it is, all around the building). I once obsessed over building the perfect workbench (I finally did). Lots of stories in that book about professional woodworkers using a door on a couple of sawbucks and the likes for decades. I've also obsessed over building the perfect toolbox, but never got around to it. See here: https://mymodernmet.com/studley-tool-chest/

The rolling cart may solve it if and only if it's easy to take everywhere. Otherwise you end up in the same situation taking tools out of it because it's too inconvenient to bring all of them for everything.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I keep toolboxes by subject.

If I am doing an electrical job, I have a toolbox with just electrical tools. Plumbing, the same. You get the idea. I also keep a "general" toolbox stocked that will be needed at all jobs and goes everywhere I go. It is filled with tape measures, stud finder, extra pencils, speed square, pocket level, a hammer, chalk line, drill bits, channel locks, screw tips, etc. This could be different for you but it is filled with the tools you almost always use regardless of the job.

It is a lot easier to organize 6 or 8 toolboxes than to have tools scattered everywhere. Also, I keep a couple of empty toolboxes around for specialty jobs where I just pick tools out of the original toolboxes and take the one. But you have to be disciplined and return the tools when the job is over.

Don't be afraid of buying duplicates such as hammers, tape measures, pliers, wrenches, etc. They are cheap and will save you a ton of time trying to find them. Just throw a duplicate in each toolbox. It's a real timesaver.

For my shop my nemesis is definitely screws, nails, and fasteners. I keep milk crates full of different types of half empty boxes of fasteners. It's a real pain in the ass trying to find a specific nail or screw sometimes but at least I know it's in a milk crate somewhere. Now you are always going to have odd and ends thrown in a jar or coffee can so what I do is keep a metal cake pan handy. I just dump the whole can into it and take a big nail and stir up the pile to try and find what I want and when I am done I dump it all back into the coffee can.

And for my other tools in the shop that stay there I have cabinets with drawers that I built. Each drawer has a specific theme such as sandpaper, pneumatic tools, squares, etc. This really helps with keeping a clean working space. Which leads to my final point: always have a dedicated work table that stays clean in between jobs. That means putting away all tools, cleaning any debris, and not letting it become a handy space for anything else. It makes a huge difference when you have to go to work again not having to spend 30 minutes getting your space ready.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Just saw your picture of your workspace.

Yuck. Get some damn lights, haha. LED shop lights are your friend.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Hi Ego. I love the pictures of your restoration lab you've shown over the years. Your areas look like a museum restoration lab.

Here is my workshop area. Looks cluttered. It is well organized for the jobs I do. I try to think things out when I set up but I have limits on space and money. This is my compromise that I came up with.

There's tool storage and workshop setup. They are related but not quite the same. I can store away all my stuff meticulously in boxes with an accompanying database to find everything. That isn't terribly efficient for work. If I put everything out I need too much space. So there's this balance.

To strike the balance I set up based on hierarchy of use. My favorite most used tools are on the rack. Less so are on the pegboards. Specialty tools are in the boxes above and below. It's all based on how fast I need to access them. When deciding on "a home" for a particular tool I close my eyes and think of the first place I'd look for that tool. Usually what comes into my mind in the first five seconds is the logical place for it to live. I then put it there. Label the boxes. Segregate the boxes by type of tool.

Stuff like welding equipment, sheet metal tools, air conditioning tools, suspension rebuild equipment, wheel alignment fixtures etc. are rarely used and are stored away in the loft above and on shelves out of the field of view. These images are the central focus based on the work I'm focused on.

I spent a lot of time building R&D labs and manufacturing lines. We could over organize to the point that we became inefficient. It's like filing systems. You want to file well enough so you can find the document in the acceptable period of time balanced with how often you access it. I had some Kaizen engineers help me in the past. You can learn a lot of workshop philosophy from them. The goal is to boost efficiency of all types - production, containment and money.

Kaizen has some really good philosophy for shop setup and tool storage. I suggest you look there if you're serious. I really switched up my work areas after I got schooled by a couple of Kaizen engineers. They really know how to make an efficient working shop.

ETA - I was really messy up to age 30. My labs, closets, files, designs, research and workshops were disaster areas. I met a mentor who really convinced me that I was programming in inefficiency through disorganization. Up to then I lost everything, papers, tools, unused supplies and valuables. Organizing my tools and systems really made things more efficient. Not easier. I was able to manage a more complex system and produce more with the same amount of energy and space. Not wasting your duty cycle searching and retrieving stuff allows you to allocate more cycle to process. It took about a quarter to transform my life using well engineered systems of organization. My designs got a lot better too - more complexity, more manageable, less anxiety.

And there’s a lesson there too. My mentor was a great digital systems and software designer. But he over did the organization part. He over filed stuff. He spent so much time planning the systems surrounding the systems that his scope got severely limited. Like he wrote so much documentation that you’d give up on following his design because it took too long to read through. Or there’d be so many sub folders or sub compartments to his organizational hierarchy that you’d just get lost deep in a design. But his spirit was right in that he saw organization as an efficiency tool to control complexity. Too rigid a guy though…I can Google him and see he never reached his lofty goals. I think he spent too much time organizing.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

I find using transparent storage containers helps. Drink bottles for example with the top cut off screwed to a large piece of osb in rows and columns make things quite a bit easier. For nails and screws, I should probably use beer crates with cut off bottles ...

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:35 am
The rolling cart may solve it if and only if it's easy to take everywhere. Otherwise you end up in the same situation taking tools out of it because it's too inconvenient to bring all of them for everything.
I guess I was hoping I could just grab the module I needed and then return it when finished. If the job was big enough to need a variety of tools (street auto repair, some big job in the building), I could roll the entire thing. We almost always have a few things piled next to the door in the apartment waiting to go downstairs or to one of the closets, so it would be easy for both of us to snap them back into place. Right now, Mrs. Ego often does not know where things belong. She will toss them into a drawer or on the workbench so that they are not cluttering the apartment. Truth be told, I am to blame far more than she is. If I bring the box closer to the work, the tools are more likely to find their way to the place where they belong. Maybe.
ffj wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:59 am
Yuck. Get some damn lights, haha. LED shop lights are your friend.
Agreed. There is only one small ceiling light from the fifties in there and the only electrical outlet in the room is located in the side of the lamp. I have to get the electrician here to run a shop light and some outlets.
Sclass wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:58 am
To strike the balance I set up based on hierarchy of use. My favorite most used tools are on the rack. Less so are on the pegboards. Specialty tools are in the boxes above and below. It's all based on how fast I need to access them. When deciding on "a home" for a particular tool I close my eyes and think of the first place I'd look for that tool. Usually what comes into my mind in the first five seconds is the logical place for it to live. I then put it there. Label the boxes. Segregate the boxes by type of tool.
@Sclass, that looks great. Organized, but not so much that it becomes hard to use. After seeing your photos, I went down to the shop and began segregating the paint to be taken to the hazardous material dump. 11 5-gallon buckets and 13 1-gallon cans. I've needed to do this for a while. Called my hauler and he refuses to take paint. I may have to rent a truck. Next step is getting things organized using your photos as a template. Thank you!

I realized that my ratchet set is missing some commonly used sizes, so I will have to order them or pickup a supplemental set at the swap meet.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Van Neistat has a short video on workshop organization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZ1mO8mA44

In your case @ego, it sounds like you may need to "kit your sh*t". My dad struggles with this as he's balancing projects at the city house and on the homestead. The frustration and lost time is likely worth the small cost of building out mobile kits and duplicating certain tools.

Casey Neistat also has a video tour of his workshop and studio space, with added workout equipment. I think both of the brothers were heavily influenced by the artist Tom Sachs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb60rrtTddQ

Both videos offer some good visuals and organizational philosophies.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I’d take ten minutes to read over an intro to Kaizen 5S. You’re basically going through the 5S pillars right now and learning the Kaizen way will save you time and build a better system. You’re going to go through it your way anyhow so why not get a little Kaizen?

In summary 5S is how you clean up a messy system and make it Kaizen. Sort things. Set in order. Shine. Standardize. And finally Sustain the system.

Your mention of Mrs. Ego makes me smile. I never could get my wife to adopt my Kaizen standards or sustain them. We just had to create separate systems. I tried to have a 1980s W. Edwards Demming sit down moment with her about but she won’t have any of it.

Different philosophies. Gotta keep the peace. :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

@Sclass, I am happy to work through Sorting and Setting in order. I think I begin leaning toward your wife's perspective somewhere around Shine and definitely in over my head at Standardize. I won't pretend that I will make it to Sustain. That said, I have a great deal of respect for people who can do that (I married one) but I have to recognize that I may be a Kaizen lost cause. I appreciate the advice!

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Let’s see. Standardize to me is documenting the design and teaching users operations. Establishing a standard to be followed. My interpretation is the creator of the system establishes the standards of use. This can include education of the users. Sustain is the whole “continuous improvement” thing. You keep disciplined about maintaining the system and you feed back ways to improve it. Sustain can be something as simple as discipline of returning tools to the correct cubbies that were established by the standard.

At first this all seemed kind of ridiculous when I heard it. But it works well for tool storage systems. I know where all my stuff is and I don’t spend much time searching for it. The system also encourages me to return tools to their proper pigeon hole. I’m the lazy user of my tools who needs a system to keep it all together. My wife won’t have any of this.

An example of “Kaizen Foam”. Kind of overdone for home garage use but likely efficient for a race team working on a particular competition vehicle in the pits.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:54 pm
In your case @ego, it sounds like you may need to "kit your sh*t".
Thanks for the videos. I consider myself fortunate that I do not have that much stuff.
Sclass wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:53 pm
Let’s see. Standardize to me is documenting the design and teaching users operations. Establishing a standard to be followed. My interpretation is the creator of the system establishes the standards of use. This can include education of the users. Sustain is the whole “continuous improvement” thing. You keep disciplined about maintaining the system and you feed back ways to improve it. Sustain can be something as simple as discipline of returning tools to the correct cubbies that were established by the standard.
It sounds like you are saying that my problem is one that can only be fixed by changing my bad habits rather than buying a new storage solution.

Ugh. I know you are right. Now I just need to DO it.