a "job" is not the issue?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
lillo9546

Post by lillo9546 »

it is known that Japanese people, who retire at 65/70, continue to work, even if reducing the load, until their death. This is all that makes them appreciate their life.

Some people and cultures of our world, infact, rather than starting to look for alternative ways of life, prefer to keep their jobs, to have "something to do" during the day, and to not feel like they're sitting on their hands.
There are also scientific studies that have analyzed people's well-being and established that those who continued to work even after retirement were happier and with a greater life expectancy than those who gave up work altogether.

What do you think, from an ERE perspective? Does it seem as if those who set out to do things the "kata metron" POV, from their youth, have managed to live happier lives, rather than those who've limited themselves or who have tried to find the "thruth" to living, with an alternative living?

themodernchap

Re: a "job" is not the issue?

Post by themodernchap »

It depends on our conceptualisation of work. I am content to work until I die, but when I say "work" I don't mean labour in a job I dislike, which I find unfulfilling and for which I am not adequately rewarded. What I mean is my own work - the self-directed running of my business and the "work-like" things I enjoy doing like gardening and working on houses.

Working because you *need the money* is different from working because you want to do the work.

Personally I'm trying to construct a wilful, intentional, thoughtful way of living, and part of that is sometimes having to do things I don't want to do because they must be done, or because by doing them it puts me closer to that intentional life.

prudentelo

Re: a "job" is not the issue?

Post by prudentelo »

ERE probably mostly reaction to hellscape of modern West job situation, where maximum competition is put in, not production, but gaming metrics and so on.

ERE is way to become self-employed on purely own terms. That might mean making money, doing "normal" work; doing thing that dont really make money but count as work (I think jacob talked about fine watch repair ? all money is in replacing batteries ?); or indeed vegetating, which probably not healthy, but some people do it.

I sort of like idea of ERE person getting job and just not really caring about it. It's not a thing most people will experience in life.