ERE tips to maintain a youthful appearance

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
white belt

Re: ERE tips to maintain a youthful appearance

Post by white belt »

Recently, I started taking oral finasteride and oral minoxidil to slow hair loss. I got it through an online doctor/pharmacy for something like ~$30 a month. From a purely financial perspective, it's stupid. However, I finally came to terms with my own vanity as I approach my 30th birthday. I am generally against any sort of prescription drugs, but since I can basically stop taking this whenever I want and the only ill effect will be continuation of progressive hair loss, I'm not too worried about it from a resilience perspective.

I may end up getting a retinoid prescription as it is one of the most effective ways to improve skin and prevent wrinkles. In hindsight, I should've started taking hair loss meds a year or 2 ago and I would have more hair left now (currently around Norwood 3 with curly hair, so it's not that bad). Likewise, I'm thinking that waiting until I'm wrinkled to address the issue might not be the smartest move if it will bother me.

I also recently started re-using teeth whitening gel in custom fitted trays. As far as I can tell, the trays are basically BIFL and the gel is very cheap per use. Despite not drinking soda or coffee, my whole life I've had relatively yellow teeth. The gel seems to be working though.

FWIW I tend to go through "mini-life crises" when I am close to certain age landmarks. The last one was when I started to taking lifting very seriously on the eve of my 26th birthday and lasted 2-3 years with very positive results overall. This time around I'm getting back in the gym as well, although my baseline fitness is already "muscular with visible abs" so it's not really like I ever get that out of shape.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

white belt wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:49 pm
Recently, I started taking oral finasteride and oral minoxidil to slow hair loss. I got it through an online doctor/pharmacy for something like ~$30 a month.
I take finasteride too. You can order it online from places like India for much less than $30 a month - I think I'm paying something like $8 a month. However, the package may be stopped at customs - dunno how good the US are good at this sort of thing. Most of my attempts at purchasing finasteride are stopped by Polish customs, but eventually one will get through and my stash is replenished for another year or two. The online companies are happy to re-ship the package for free until it goes through.

lillo9546

Post by lillo9546 »

We all have different needs, sensations and desires, but would you do "skincare" and "haircare" routine, with high quality natural products, if these activities increase our well being feeling, and may be beneficial for health too, increasing our cost of living by just 1% annually, and our time dedication to it by 30 hours a year? (Like: electric shaver, skincare products, haircare products, etc).
Which is the answer for an ERE person?

ps: only auxilliary things such as skincare and haircare are taken into consideration here. All essential things such as dental expenses or medical expenses are excluded from the total count.

chenda

Post by chenda »

zbigi wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:32 pm
I take finasteride too.
white belt wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:49 pm
Recently, I started taking oral finasteride and oral minoxidil to slow hair loss. I got it through an online doctor/pharmacy for something like ~$30 a month. From a purely financial perspective, it's stupid.
According to these Australian doctors, 3mg of finasteride a week is usually just as effective as 7mg as week. The dosage response curve flattens out about there. It would cut the cost in half.

https://youtu.be/ekeRPx0TJqE

My ex-bf suffered from baldness so I did some research into this for him.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

Thanks! I'll check it out.