Buying your landlord's flat

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
guitarplayer

Buying your landlord's flat

Post by guitarplayer »

Have been wondering if anyone here had tried to offer their landlord to buy their flat or house?

Seems to me this might be a decent way of getting a property. In particular, the property and neighbourhood has been obviously checked out and there is a higher chance of knowing what one is getting (there might still be some defects one doesn't know about. For example, there is an immersion boiler in the flat where I live but I have never used it. I could test it though). Also a small chance the landlord has been pondering the move so skipping agent fees, possibly getting a win-win price for both.

But I appreciate overall a small chance of demand and supply to meet here.

Jean

Re: Buying your landlord's flat

Post by Jean »

as a landlord, i'de consider any offer from my tenant to buy back my house. It removes the risk of kicking out a good tenant to try to sell.

Henry

Post by Henry »

guitarplayer wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:31 am
Also a small chance the landlord has been pondering the move so skipping agent fees, possibly getting a win-win price for both.

I would also bring up the possibility of owner financing. Seller avoids capital gain hit and you can request flexibility on down payment if that's your goal.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

It's not a horrible idea at all. One advantage is no immediate competition, no hurry to put in an offer right now. This leads to another advantage, that you have time to do your homework. In particular, regarding the HOA or whatever it's called outside the US. You want to know what you're getting into — who's in charge, what people are fighting over, the overall direction the building is going in (getting improved or neglected? turning into a hotel with so many airbnbs?) and whether you'd want to run for the board yourself. Start talking to other owners, see what their concerns are. This is an edge you have over some dude surfing Zillow.

You may be able to listen in on board meetings or even attend them. Some bylaws even allow owners to have another person (i.e., their renter) attend and speak by proxy.

I would not skip an inspection. There may be damages you live with every day but the landlord doesn't know about, and you can use that as leverage.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Buying real estate without an agent is fine. Buying real estate without an attorney is not.

If you are in a HOA or condo association make sure you investigate its reserves. You don't want to buy and be immediately hit with assessment fees because there is not enough for capital improvements.